By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the PS4 wins this gen, consoles will become obsolete

And selling +100million, this gen is gonna last so long that the consoles will be FAR behind mobile phones, making consoles lag far behind the curve.
If this gen will end up short, and the next gen actually will be on par with the technological developments, consoles might not be doomed.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Why? As long as developers generate money with console gaming, nothing will become obsolete.

I can see PC-only owners getting screwed, though.

Mobile devices like phones won't ever come close to consoles in power due to the fact that there's a limit to how much power they can consume ...

I don't want to buy a new console every 2-3 years so I'll happily take a PS4 that last 5-6 years or even longer, I think that console gaming is going to change in a service based direction anyway, like PSNow just for everything.

The fact that a 2 man team came come out of nowhere and do better than a game made by a company of 100 men, I dont think companies will like that.

Anyone who downloads games like FIFA and need for speed do it on the basis of the success which those games have made from the console versions. If the console versions are not around, those mobile games are just a joke which people will delete and install something else.

Its in the interests of large companies to ensure console gaming survives, because unlike in mobile gaming, they can set up some barriers to prevent a 2 man team coming in and outperforming them.

Around the Network

I doubt they will become obsolete as no matter how powerful mobile gaming becomes, consoles will just take that technology and pack more of it into far larger hardware.

They won't become obsolete anytime soon. Reduced sales? Yes, but consoles won't dissapear, not even after the inevitable gaming market crash. Mobile and tablet sales will stop somewhere in the future, not everyone on the planet can have a smartphone or buy one new every one or two years, plus the gaming on those systems will go away just as the casuals migrate from device to device. I can see handhelds multiplying their lifespams to counter the growing cost of developing games for them.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

It doesn't matter which console wins, the disruption between casual and hardcore gaming plus AAA productions will make console gaming obsolete.

freebs2 said:
It doesn't matter which console wins, the disruption between casual and hardcore gaming plus AAA productions will make console gaming obsolete.

Thank god Im a retro gamer as well then:)

kirby007 said:

And selling +100million, this gen is gonna last so long that the consoles will be FAR behind mobile phones, making consoles lag far behind the curve.
If this gen will end up short, and the next gen actually will be on par with the technological developments, consoles might not be doomed.

Your thread is doomed.  Some PS360 games are still graphically comparable with the best PC games, like Halo4, The Last of Us, etc.  It's gameplay which really matters, and graphics will be fine on PS4 and XBone for a long time, I think you didn't see the short trailer of Uncharted4.  You have no idea what PS4 like hardware in a close environment can to do when coded to the metal.  This is one of the most sad and unispired thread since a very long time. BIG FAIL.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.