By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Mario Kart 8 Isn't Going To Give The Wii U Even 1 Month At 100k+ In The US?

RolStoppable said:
MikeRox said:

Fair point, GC launched at a stupidly low price here in general from day 1. You're right, Wii U is doomed, they should just dump it now and focus on not screwing up the next system.

Whoa, hold on a second. Wii U is doomed, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo should dump it. It's not a good basis for a successor if you leave a lot of disgruntled customers behind.

Didn't seem to hurt Microsoft in their attempt to push the 360 on the market. Dropping the original Xbox around 3 years after it launched didn't seem to disgruntle too many and that was whilst actively telling 3rd parties not to continue making new Xbox software. If Nintendo commit to their current software lineup for Wii U, it'd be an understandable time to progress.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
prayformojo said:
Soundwave said:

Looking at the predictions thread for the upcoming June NPD it seems like even most ardent Nintendo fans here are resigned to sub-100k sales for the Wii U in June ... so basically the Mario Kart 8 impact was ... err, not so good?

I really loved Nintendo's E3, but that's basically curtains for the Wii U is it not? I mean Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U, Donkey Kong Country, Wii Sports Club, Pikmin 3, Sonic, and now Mario Kart 8 have all come and gone ... if they still can't get over 100k for a month ... I think most if not all hope is lost. Even the GameCube could fairly regularily top 100k in North America even without a new release, if the Wii U can't even do that in the midst of Mario Kart ... that's just shockingly bad. 

There's been an improvement in sales in Japan too, but not really anything to get too excited over. 

Smash Bros. will help, but honestly if MK8 can't do more than this, then the system is basically done for barring an Amiibo miracle, or Splatoon becoming a new Pokemon like hit. Oh well as long as I gets me some Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, and Star Fox U, I'll be relatively pleased with my purchase. 

I think it's time to accept reality here. The Wii-U is the next Dreamcast. And by that, I don't mean that Nintendo is finished as a console maker. I think the Wii-U is going to be viewed in much the same light as the Dreamcast is viewed today. It's going to be a cult hit, with the mainstream community ignoring it entirely. Then in about 10 years, people are going to look back at it's library and think to themselves "wtf?!? How did we NOT support this machine?!?!"

My advice? Enjoy it and ignore sales like I did with Dreamcast. Time will vindicate your purchase.

I look back at the Dreamcast as a console that just wasn't as good as the PS1.

Weird, considering the Dreamcast and PS1 weren't even in the same generation of consoles.

The PS1 is one of the greatest game systems of all time that had like 100% third party backing for a long period of time.

There's no shame in saying the Dreamcast doesn't quite match up with the PS1. I prefer the PS1 to the PS2 to be honest.

Soundwave said:
The PS1 is one of the greatest game systems of all time that had like 100% third party backing for a long period of time.

There's no shame in saying the Dreamcast doesn't quite match up with the PS1. I prefer the PS1 to the PS2 to be honest.

i like the ps2 more but hey 6th gen was my favorite introduce halo,pikmin, shadow of the colussus ahh the memories :)

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

prayformojo said:
Lawlight said:

I look back at the Dreamcast as a console that just wasn't as good as the PS1.

Weird, considering the Dreamcast and PS1 weren't even in the same generation of consoles.

The PS1 was on the market for all of the Dreamcast's life. The DC was dropped 2 months after the PS2 came out. So in some ways, it was more in the PS1 gen than the PS2 gen, even though it was a 6th gen system.

However, you've got to remember, the Dreamcast pulled off it's lineup in a couple of years vs the decade the PS1 had, and with a handful of publishers mainly porting PS1 games vs almost every 3rd party in the world throwing their entire weight behind the PS1.

I think the DC library turned out prety damn well in that regards. It's certainly better than any 8th Gen system to date inc the handhelds.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
MikeRox said:

Didn't seem to hurt Microsoft in their attempt to push the 360 on the market. Dropping the original Xbox around 3 years after it launched didn't seem to disgruntle too many and that was whilst actively telling 3rd parties not to continue making new Xbox software. If Nintendo commit to their current software lineup for Wii U, it'd be an understandable time to progress.

The original Xbox had good enough third party support through 2006, so it wasn't really apparent to the average gamer what Microsoft was doing. Heck, we have people on this forum who think that Sony supported the PSP well into the Vita's lifecycle, but the reality is that Sony released maybe one or two games in 2011 before they called it quits for the PSP. The misconception stems from the continued third party support the PSP got. The 360 also benefited from its substitute being a god awful system, so even if some people were aware of what happened to the original Xbox, they were also aware of how bad the PS3 was.

yeah 360 like the wii only had 1 exclusive in 2012(halo4 and zelda ss)

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

RolStoppable said:
MikeRox said:

The original Xbox had good enough third party support through 2006, so it wasn't really apparent to the average gamer what Microsoft was doing. Heck, we have people on this forum who think that Sony supported the PSP well into the Vita's lifecycle, but the reality is that Sony released maybe one or two games in 2011 before they called it quits for the PSP. The misconception stems from the continued third party support the PSP got. The 360 also benefited from its substitute being a god awful system, so even if some people were aware of what happened to the original Xbox, they were also aware of how bad the PS3 was.

I don't know about the US, but the original Xbox was on fumes after the 360 launched in Europe. That said, the GCN got a lot more 3rd party support in the US than Europe too. It really was PlayStation 2 or nothing after 2005 on the 6th gen here.

So, Wii U is easily going to break 100k in the US for June's NPD.

What people seemed to have forgotten was that June is a 5 week month for NPD. For the first four weeks of June, it appears that the Wii U has sold about 98k (that's from 1st to 28th of June)... add on the extra two days, and it's over already. Add on the full extra week, and it's going to be somewhere around 120k.

So it really doesn't matter how you cut it, MK8 got Wii U over 100k. It got the Wii U over 100k for the four weeks from launch. It got the Wii U over 100k for the calendar month of June. It got the Wii U over 100k for the NPD month of June.

Obviously, this is assuming that VGChartz data is reasonably accurate. It might not be... in which case, we have no evidence of it going either way, so further comment can't really be made until NPD numbers are released or Nintendo releases info itself.

Aielyn said:
So, Wii U is easily going to break 100k in the US for June's NPD.

What people seemed to have forgotten was that June is a 5 week month for NPD. For the first four weeks of June, it appears that the Wii U has sold about 98k (that's from 1st to 28th of June)... add on the extra two days, and it's over already. Add on the full extra week, and it's going to be somewhere around 120k.

So it really doesn't matter how you cut it, MK8 got Wii U over 100k. It got the Wii U over 100k for the four weeks from launch. It got the Wii U over 100k for the calendar month of June. It got the Wii U over 100k for the NPD month of June.

Obviously, this is assuming that VGChartz data is reasonably accurate. It might not be... in which case, we have no evidence of it going either way, so further comment can't really be made until NPD numbers are released or Nintendo releases info itself.

Even if that's the case, that's a pretty mediocre number. 

Soundwave said:
Even if that's the case, that's a pretty mediocre number.

So you're going to move the goalposts and declare a win?

The claim was that MK8 isn't going to give the Wii U even 1 month at 100k+ in the US. I demonstrated that to be false. I'd rather it be somewhere around 300k, but that's obviously not going to happen right now. But considering that estimates put Wii U at 60k for May this year, 33k for May last year, and 42k for June last year, it seems pretty clear that MK8 rather significantly boosted Wii U sales in the US... especially when you consider that the 60k number for May this year includes over 40k for the week of MK8's release, so it's more like 25-30k without MK8.