By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The trend of deliberately looking for negativity of your favorite company

IkePoR said:

Here's a quote discussing your very point, about how FromSoftware was pleased with the 2 Million sales "Dark Souls" recieved.  

"Obviously, Dark Souls didn't cost as much to make. I mean---Resident Evil 6 had a dev team of six-hundred. Tomb Raider had to pay for extravagant hair physics and Hollywood actors.  Dark Souls can't be compared to Tomb Raider I'm told, because Dark Souls didn't have to pay Hollywood actors or build a brand new engine---but neither did Tomb Raider. I'm sick and tired of being told that AAA games are being forced as if by invisible gunpoint to invest decadent amounts of money in their games to the point where they need to sell more copies than reality itself is capable of providing. That's not a defense, that's just bad, bad, terribly bad, bad, and terribly bad business." - Jim Sterling

I'm sorry you see the truth as "utterly riduculous" and "irritating".

Your own quote establishes Dark Souls as the exception - it had a low budget. AND there was DLC for it, so what do you say about that? Moreover, people (at times) WANT games with bigger budgets than Dark Souls.

From Software isn't the pinnacle of modern game design, so your example falls flat.

Uncharted, Halo, Forza etc. etc. necessitate huge budgets and consequently require high sales.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
AZWification said:

Weird! I don't seem to notice those kinds of fans THAT often...  

THAT often!?!  i've never seen it ever.   i don't think it has ever happened.

I think I've seen these fans just a couple of times this year, hence why it's nothing too relevant or important..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

DonFerrari said:

If a game sells 2M it can't be said it is niche...

Technically speaking, a game is niche if its intended or audience of focus is small and dedicated. Its not determined by its sales although it is rare for niche games to sell as much as games with wider appeal. Thus it is an effect of its design, Niche games have small sales beccause they appeal to few number of people.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DonFerrari said:

If a game sells 2M it can't be said it is niche...

Technically speaking, a game is niche if its intended or audience of focus is small and dedicated. Its not determined by its sales although it is rare for niche games to sell as much as games with wider appeal. Thus it is an effect of its design, Niche games have small sales beccause they appeal to few number of people.

So you prove what I said... it could even be developed with small budget and with niche mindset (let's sell 100k or 200k and profit on this), since JRPG is becoming niche by the day. But the game in itself isn't niche anymore. It got a cult following and strong exposure. Have they stayed niche for the sequels? Even if they keep their design elements the sequels would be even harder to defend as niche.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DaveyBoy88 said:

Your own quote establishes Dark Souls as the exception - it had a low budget. AND there was DLC for it, so what do you say about that? Moreover, people (at times) WANT games with bigger budgets than Dark Souls.

From Software isn't the pinnacle of modern game design, so your example falls flat.

Uncharted, Halo, Forza etc. etc. necessitate huge budgets and consequently require high sales.

Your opinion of what "modern gaming" is supposed to be is irrlevant.  The Souls series is seen as one of the best of last gen.  Just because it ddn't have the budget of those three you mentioned doesn't mean it isn't modern.  It's gorgeous, plays extremely well and is amazing fuin - all the things those games have. 

It had DLC but it is an example of what DLC is supposed to be.  Seperate advetures that give the player a new experince, something a lot of "modern" bloated budget games don't do while they sell map packs and gold guns.

To your point of "necessitate huge budgets", I'll finish with quoting myself because maybe you missed it:

IkePoR said:

True most games won't break even if they don't hit 500k.  Yet even a niche title like Dark Souls reached it easily. If you know what you're doing, take pride in making something people will love, you won't reach CoD numbers but you will gain a dedicated audience.

When greed takes over and devs/publishers want "to reach a wider audience" and make games something they aren't, and turn everything into clones of the best selling games, that's when budgets get out of control and they end up killing themselves.

Triple A titles are usually the games that need that 500k to break even; this isn't the case when you budget, something most game companies seem to have forgotten how to do.

You can push boundaries without dumping truckloads of money into games.  It's called creativity - something we're supposed to allow game makers to lack just because they want to make a game.  You can make an extremely beautiful, extremely competent and innovative game without guaranteeing being in the red.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network

rockstar is my favorite company. I'd never look for anything negative about rockstar,but I would'nt be blind if they did something wrong.