By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I honestly believe gaming PCs are becoming niche market

Intrinsic said:

Wow.... for someone that seems to be obviously so smart, why do you insist on just ignoring the facts that you have right in front of you. I will only talk based on what you have presented here.

If nvidia made an earning report and announced that it had 4Q total revenue of $1.14B. You know what, lets even make that $2B per quater though that is not what Nvidia said (they said $1.14B). Now for 4Qs thats $8B right? 

So lets use your $115/piece number here and the fact that as you have so kindly pointed out they sold 100M GPUs last year alone. Which so happens to cover the period their earnings report shows. Lets do some math now shall we? 100M x $115.

THAT IS $11.5 BILLION

Can you kindly tell us then, why Nvidia chose to lie about its anual earnings?

Now mind you, this $11.5B was made from selling ONLY discrete desktop GPUs. No tegra, no nvidia shield, no mobile GPUs. Nothing else. You clearly have no idea what you are tal;king about. All I have done is use the date you have provided and compared it to what Nvidia announced themselves.

So please tell us, why will nvidia announce the 2013-2014 finacial 4Q to be their best quater in a while at $1.14B in total revenue, when they somehow make an annual $11B in desktop GPU sales alone?????????? Are you delusional or something? or just plain confused.

Ok first off I would like to admit I made a mistake in my last post Nvidia's GPU sales is ~65m not 100m I had a lot of tabs open and I must have grabbed an incorrect number well making my calculations. I should have double checked my math sorry.

The $115 is for their most expensive GPU obviously that makes up a tiny fraction of their total shipments I mean it retails for $1000+ FFS. As I pointed out their higher selling GPUs are around $65. I am not sure why you keep guessing their annual revenue either they do report that you know

Ok so we know that GPU sales for last year was $3.4b from shipment data we can extrapolate ~65 million units for Nvidia which works out to an average of ~$53 per GPU sold on average. Given they get around $65 for a GTX 770 aparently (probably less if you can buy them from a 3rd party for that price) that is not to bad at all.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
zarx said:

Ok first off I would like to admit I made a mistake in my last post Nvidia's GPU sales is ~65m not 100m I had a lot of tabs open and I must have grabbed an incorrect number well making my calculations. I should have double checked my math sorry.

The $115 is for their most expensive GPU obviously that makes up a tiny fraction of their total shipments I mean it retails for $1000+ FFS. As I pointed out their higher selling GPUs are around $65. I am not sure why you keep guessing their annual revenue either they do report that you know

Ok so we know that GPU sales for last year was $3.4b from shipment data we can extrapolate ~65 million units for Nvidia which works out to an average of ~$53 per GPU sold on average. Given they get around $65 for a GTX 770 aparently (probably less if you can buy them from a 3rd party for that price) that is not to bad at all.

Please don't confuse aliexpress sngle unit price for bulk die purchases by third party manufacturers, the pricing difference is massive.

Tamron said:
curl-6 said:
zarx said:
And yet high end GPU sales are up YoY

Likely people upgrading in the wake of PS4 , WiiU and Xbone raising the standard.

Fixed.

Come on man, let's not.

Wii U may be a technical improvement over PS3 and 360, but not a big enough one to make PC gamers run out and buy a new GPU. 

Tamron said:
Intrinsic said:
Tamron said:

Let's consolidate those numbers for Q2 2011.

Nvidia : 23,828,000
ATI/AMD : 28,865,920

I wasn't gonna reply to this cause I felt it should be obvious. But what the hell.

Those are really good numbers for one quater. so that puts the yearly sales at around 160-170M right? You do realize that this includes "everything" PC related. We are talking laptops from every single vendor known and unknown in addition to discrete GPUs. 

Look at the graph again, buddy.

Nvidia : 23,828,000
ATI/AMD : 28,865,920

Those figures are ONLY the amd and nvidia GPUs, the rest, including "other/unknown" are listed too, but hey, let's pretend that over 75% of laptop gpus aren't Intel right? *rolleyes*

Intrinsic said:

I really can't believe that theer are people heer actually having this argument with me. Please do some research, look up how many laptop/prebuilt PC(desktops/all in ones etc) sales were made in the same period. Subtract that from those numbers and then you start to have an idea of how many standalone GPUs were sold.

It might have something to do with you ignoring clear and obvious evidence, and bending reality to suit your own argument.

This graph is using hard evidence from each manufacturers annual reports, your argument is that based off of nvidias figures, they could not be selling more than 3 million gpus per quarter.

Yet all evidence points to the contrary, but have fun im dreamland, it's clear you're one of those types, so i'm done.

Ok.. its settled. You are delusional. 

How am I twisting anything to suit my agenda? I have stated my facts and provided a link to nvidia themselves. If you want to dispuet anything I have said, then dispute that. And what pointhave you made now???????

Put up the same shit and tell me to look at the numbers again? Of course I know those numbers are only the nvidia/amd gpus. IT DOESN'T CHANGE the fact that most of those GPUs go into laptops/all in ones too does it? I am typing on a laptop right now that has intel and nvidia platered over it. Do you realize that nvidia or amd sells gpus that go into integrated systems like laptops/all in ones for as little as $18 a pop? Point is simple, look at nvidias financial reports. Take into consideration all the kinda business they conduct, do the math yourself. And at the end of the day you will find that they are not selling as many discrete GPUs as some would like to think which is what this whole argument was about in the first place.

You say the graph is using hard fact. I did not make up a financial report. Its posted by nvidia themsleves. Sigh... nevermind. I think we should just agree to disagree and let me as you said, live in dreamland.

curl-6 said:
Tamron said:
curl-6 said:
zarx said:

Likely people upgrading in the wake of PS4 , WiiU and Xbone raising the standard.

Fixed.

Come on man, let's not.

Wii U may be a technical improvement over PS3 and 360, but not a big enough one to make PC gamers run out and buy a new GPU. 

for peoplw qho have chosen to stick with wiiu and pc for this gen,  then they have just as much reason as anyone else to upgrade. 

besides,  wiiu is part of 8th gen and 8th gen as a whole drives things forward. 

Around the Network
zarx said:

No worries, we all make mistakes. But finally. Something I can agree with and yet some here are arguing with me like I am crazy or something. I have never said what they are managing to accomplish on the dedicated GPU front is poor. Not once, all I have been saying is that its still a niche market. Its a growing niche market, but a niche market none the less.

And i kept guessing their annual revenue caus ei was just extrapolating from one quater since i didnt want to dig in to the number research. But my estimates were even much higher than what they actually make. Cause I gave them $8B lol. 

I will add though, when nvidia says GPUs in that report. They are not just talking about desktop GPUs. They are talking about discrete GPUs in general which a majority of goes into laptops and all in one PCs. A MAJORITY. So if they ship 65M GPUs, well over 55M of those are going to specific vendors to put into laptops or all in ones. 

curl-6 said:
zarx said:

Likely people upgrading in the wake of PS4 and Xbone raising the standard.

And as more games start jump up to that new baseline it will drive even more adoption over the next couple years. Currently there are only a handfull of games that have next gen specs out right now, and most of them aren't really big sellers on PC. Battlefeild 4, ARMA 3 and Watch Dogs are the big ones so far, you may argue Metro: Last Light and Crysis 3 and a couple others but they weren't huge sellers. There really haven't been many real hardware pushers yet, most of the cross gen games scale down quite well. Over the next couple years you have games like Star Citizen, The Witcher 3, GTA V, Star Wars Battlefront, Rainbow Six: Seige, The Devision, Left 4 Dead 3 on Source 2 (there have been enough leaks), a next gen Bethesda game etc. Which will all drive a lot of PC hardware.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Tamron said:

for peoplw qho have chosen to stick with wiiu and pc for this gen,  then they have just as much reason as anyone else to upgrade. 

PS4 and Xbone raised the baseline for multiplatform graphics though, Wii U didn't.

Scoobes said:
kupomogli said:
I did one of Steam's survey's yesterday and looked at the results. Over90% of the PCs were weaker than an Xbox One.

I'm not sure how you managed to calculate that considering the sheer number of different CPU/GPU configurations, but that still leaves over 7.5 million Steam users with PCs more powerful than a console that released less than a year ago. That number will only climb as people naturally upgrade over time.

OT: I actually think "gaming" PCs are on the up. Building or buying an extreme PC for high-end gaming has always been niche but is actually showing strong signs of growth. It's more cost effective to build/buy a gaming PC now than at any time in the past.

well u have to pay 800 for a decent pc(that will easyly beat ps4). 

curl-6 said:
Tamron said:

PS4 and Xbone raised the baseline for multiplatform graphics though, Wii U didn't.

It raised the baseline for nintendo fans.