By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - This is a real rock band! REAL ROCK MUSIC

TheKingofRedLions said:
you guys don't have too be mean about it

Thank you so much. I'm glad you have class.

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

BUY TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM REPUTATION!!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

I have also developed a liking for this style as well. Yes, I am also into much more aged music, but I can't just stick to the old. I like a lot of Ville Vallo stuff too.

I actually like this songgg

Reputation proceeds me, they told you I'm crazy, I swear I don't love the drama it loves me <3

BUY TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM REPUTATION!!

jigokutamago said:

Heh, noobs.

Bingo. This is rock music in its purest form - Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Little Richard, Ike Turner, Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Bo Diddly. (Example Songs: Blue Suede Shoes, Rock Around the Clock, Rocket 88, Great Balls of Fire, Blueberry Hill)

Then came the Surf Music sub-genre: Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, Duane Eddy, The Chantays, The Ventures, etc. (Example Songs: Surfin USA, 409, Little Old Lady From Pasadena, Pipeline, Wipeout)

Shortly after that came the British Invasion: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Yardbirds, Gerry & The Pacemakers (the surving members surely all pacemakers by now) The Animals, Hermin's Hermits, The Troggs, Donovan, Manfred Mann, etc. (I Want to Hold Your Hand, Eight Days A Week, [I Can't Get No] Satisfaction, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Pinball Wizard, My Generation, For Your Love, House of the Rising Sun, Wild Thing, Mellow Yellow, Doo Wah Diddy)

Garage Rock described young U.S. bands in the mid 60s that sang about the traumas of high school life, and usually rehearsed and performed gigs in garages. The Kingsmen, The Wailers, The D-Men, Paul Revere and the Raiders (Louie Louie, Tall Cool One, )

Pop Rock is the longest-running Rock sub-genre, as it is essentially mainstream music - it has taken many forms since the 1950s, and the newest form would be the likes the band posted in the OP. Mainly used nowadays (since the 1980s) to help advertise and sell product to the youth masses. Essential bands of this genre include Elton John, Chicago, Peter Frampton, Rod Stewart, Billy Joel, Boston, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi (Example songs: Benny & the Jets, Tiny Dancer, 25 or 6 to 4, Hard to Say I'm Sorry, Show Me the Way, Baby I Love Your Way, Maggie May, Piano Man, Uptown Girl, More Than A Feeling, Smokin', Pour Some Sugar On Me, Photograph, You Gave Love A Bad Name) 

Blues Rock started in the mid-to-late 1960s when a second wave of British bands came along, influenced by American Blues music. The Rolling Stones and The Yardbirds evolved their sounds (and band lineup - they evolved into Led Zeppelin) and in came bands like Cream, The Jeff Beck Group, Fleetwood Mac (who would later become a Pop Rock band) Meanwhile in America; Canned Heat, Janis Joplin, the Allman Brothers and ZZ Top (Example songs: Sympathy for the Devil, Heart Full of Soul, Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love, Sunshine of Your Love, Crossroads, I Ain`t Superstitious, The Green Manalishi, Let`s Work Together, Take Another Little Piece of My Heart, Ramblin' Man, La Grange)

Folk Rock was mainly protest music during the 1960's and almost-exclusively used acoustic intruments. Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Woody Guthrie, The Mamas & the Papas, The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel (Example Songs: Like a Rolling Stone, The Hurricane, Blowin in the Wind, Big Yellow Taxi, Diamonds and Rust, This Land is Your Land, California Dreaming, Turn Turn Turn, The Sound of Silence, Mrs. Robinson)

Psychadelic Rock was an amplified version of the themes of Folk Music (not always the case lyrically) with a greater emphasis on both musicianship and the drug culture. Jefferson Airplane, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors, The Beatles' post-Beatlemania era, Pink Floyd (Example songs: White Rabbit, Somebody to Love, Purple Haze, Voodoo Child, The Wind Cries Mary, Riders on the Storm, The End, Light My Fire, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Norwegian Wood, I Am the Walrus, See Emily Play, Bike)

Roots Rock is a term used to describe bands that moved away from the Psychadelic scene and instead layed the foundation for Southern Rock. Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Eagles, The Band, The Doobie Brothers, Ozark Mountain Daredevils and Lynyrd Skynyrd (Example songs: Proud Mary, Bad Moon Rising, Fortunate Son, Someday Never Comes, Hotel California, Lyin' Eyes, Life in the Fast Lane, The Weight, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, Up on Cripple Creek, Listen to the Music, Black Water, Jackie Blue, Sweet Home Alabama, Simple Man, Gimme Three Steps, Freebird) 

Progressive Rock - when it comes to pure musicianship, Prog Rock is the cream of the crop. Much more experimental with a wide range of instruments and bands that have a knack for writing and performing longer songs. Prog Rockers are prone to create concept albums, and lyrical themes cover literally anything. It was introduced  by the likes of King Crimson, Pink Floyd [post-Syd Barrett Era], Genesis [Peter Gabriel Era, went Pop Rock once Phil Collins took over singing duties] Yes, Rush [70s Era - also credited for being one of the first Progressive Metal bands] Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention (Example songs: Court of the Crimson King, Epitaph, 21st Century Schizoid Man, Starless, Book of Saturday, Easy Money, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, The Knife, Supper's Ready, Roundabout, Heart of the Sunrise, Close to the Edge, And You and I, Siberan Khatru, Sound Chaser, 2112, By-Tor & the Snow Dog, The Necromancer, Cygnus X1 Book 1: The Voyage, Cygnus X1 Book 2: Hemispheres, Jacob's Ladder, The Camera Eye, Thick As a Brick, Aqualung, Crosseyed Mary, Locomotive Breath, Beastie, Peaches En Regalia, Stink Foot, Yo Mama)

Glam Rock: musical elements of psychadelic rock combined with (anything from, but not limited to) 1930's glamor, 1950's pinups, sci-fi, and the occult. Artists like David Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Sweet (Space Oddity, Ziggy Stardust, All the Young Dudes, Action, Fox on the Run, Little Willy, Love is Like Oxygen) 

Heavy Metal: not going too deep into this one, simply because there's way too many sub-genres to touch base on, but posting this as it relates to the next genre listed. Heavy Metal essentially sings about the darker side of the human experience, somewhat like Psychadelic and Folk Rock, but distanced themselves from the hippie culture - earliest bands came from post-WW2 bombed out communites from England that tought the San Fransisco "Summer of Love" vibe was way out of touch with reality. The three bands that best represent the birth of Metal were Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Judas Priest. (Tons of example songs: Black Sabbath, War Pigs, Iron Man, Paranoid, Sweet leaf, Embryo/Children of the Grave, Snowblind, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Hole in the Sky, Symptom of the Universe, Megalomania, Speed King, Child in Time, Fireball, Strange Kind of Woman, Highway Star, Smoke on the Water, Burn, Victim of Changes, Prelude/Tyrant, Island of Domination, Sinner, Dissonent Aggressor, Exciter, Stained Class, Hell Bent for Leather, Killing Machine, Running Wild, Rapid Fire/Metal Gods, Breaking the Law, The Hellion/Electric Eye, Screaming for Vengeance, Freewheel Burning, Jawbreaker, The Sentinel, Ram It Down, Blood Red Skies, Painkiller, Metal Meltdown, Touch of Evil, Battle Hymn/One Shot at Glory)

Hard Rock: somewhat similar vibe to Heavy Metal, though usually more mainstream-friendly, as well as different lyrical themes; many of the early bands of this genre have been immensely influencial on todays acts, even the more obscure bands. Queen, AC/DC, KISS, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, Budgie, Blue Oyster Cult, Montrose, Van Halen, Heart, and Rush's non-proggy songs from the 70s (Tons more example songs: Death on Two Legs, Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You/We are the Champions, Hammer to Fall, Dragon Attack, Another One Bites the Dust, I Want it All, It's a Long Way to the Top, T.N.T., Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Problem Child, Let There Be Rock, Riff Raff, Kicked in the Teeth, Touch Too Much, Highway to Hell, Back in Black, Hells Bells, Who Made Who, Thunderstruck, 100,000 Years, Strutter, Black Diamond, Cold Gin, Shock Me, Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder, I Stole Your Love, Children of the Night, I Love it Loud, The Rocker, Whiskey in the Jar, Jailbreak, The Boys Are Back in Town, Emerald, Johnny, Don't Believe a Word, Opium Trail, Waiting for an Alibi, Black Rose, Hey You, Angel of Death, Thunder and Lightning, Cold Sweat, Overkill, Stone Dead Forever, Bomber, Metropolis, Ace of Spades, The Chase is Better Than the Catch, We are the Road Crew, Breadfan, I Turned to Stone, I Can't See My Feelings, Napoleaon Bona Parts 1 & 2, In For the Kill, Gunslinger, Cities on Flame, Godzilla, Don't Fear the Reaper, Take Me Away, Veteran of the Psychic Wars, Bad Motor Scooter, Space Station #5, I Got the Fire, Runnin with the Devil, Eruption/You Really Got Me, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Unchained, And the Cradle Will Rock, Barracuda, Magic Man, Heartless, Crazy on You, Anthem, Fly By Night, Closer to the Heart, Farewell to Kings, The Trees, Freewill, Spirit of Radio)

by the early 1980s, the rock music family tree branched out vastly - it even seeded new ground and gave way to brand new genres. As of today there is literally a version of rock music for anyone out there. There is no 'true rock' today, just a version you like the most.

Don't do this. I thought there was a real modern rock song out there. Last great one for me is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H5we9iNGIA

Oh and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqsAlDEnmSA

Youtube sound quality is shocking though.

at least I thumb down that atrocity. :D

Around the Network

Do you get paid for this?

I do not believe you.

http://youtu.be/ReaQrwjBaMo

Not my taste. It's a boy band aimed at middle school girls. Seems like they tried to draw inspiration from Blink 182 (even the lead with his lip ring), but didn't drop their feminity, and are too worried about being pretty.

EDIT:Oh, will you look at that. They even did a cover of Blink 182 - I miss you (and sounded terrible). How un-original are these kids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPufQd33fM

How about no

Seeing Rock as a genre makes me sad. Rock was a movement, the opposite of pop(ular) music. It was rebellious and awkward, making the majority of people say "oh, this is not music". Music has evolved and so would have had Rock if it wasn't for money-talks.

How can successful mainstream chart bands be considered rock? Rock is not a genre :(