mZuzek said:
Rab said:
Is this legal?

Obviously not.

What law(s) does it violate?

Around the Network
Skidonti said:
Anfebious said:
Let's hope it's as easy as hacking a Wii.

It's not like that, exactly. At least, the way I think you mean of "hacking a Wii" to add homebrew and *ahem* stuff.

This is an optical disc drive emulator, so the point of it is to keep official firmware on your system so you can keep the latest updates and go online, etc., and never have any problems with that stuff. In order to use this you have to buy the Cobra device from them and use a external HDD to store your stuff. You can't just use a software exploit currently like you did on Wii.

Then this Cobra thing isn't worth it. I rather wait as I did with the PSP. I waited long enough and a simple enough "hack" came out for it, it's just a matter of waiting.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

LOL, this is a hardware mod chip they are referring to. Besides the team that hacked the original Wii is working on the Wii U. They haven't even been able to launch in to the Wii U OS, they can however stop the OS from loading. That's it. No backups, no nothing

mZuzek said:

Ok, so maybe there might be a chance I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.
This, however, is how piracy begins on a console, and piracy isn't legal as far as I know.

Unless we were talking "legal" as in within the forum rules.

Heh, no worries. For what it's worth, it appears to be 100% legal to jailbreak your console in Europe, so long as you don't illegally copy your games (legally copying is fine). It's murkier in the US: the DMCA arguably forbids doing so, a position taken by the Copyright Office, but the matter has not been litigated yet to the best of my knowledge, and an argument can be made for its legality. I suspect it will come down to who the judge is and what the facts of the law are, assuming this ever gets to trial. I have no idea how things stand in any other country.

Rab said:
mZuzek said:
Rab said:
Is this legal?

Obviously not.

Ok, then what's it doing on this site?

It's potentially illegal and a really aggresive company could try to prosecute you due to anti-circumvention of firmware laws under the DMCA in the United States. Technically it's making profits from the circumvention that is actually criminal and worth prosecuting, but the seller, Cobra, is somewhere in Europe and I don't know their laws.

Though under DMCA any hobby modding by anyone that circumvents firmware could be a case for the civil courts though it's incredibly unlikely anyone would ever actually be taken to court on it, if a company even did find out who you were and what you did.

Around the Network

Well, that didn't took very long to happen!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

What happened to the "super team of hackers" that were very close to cracking Xbox One? Did MS put out a hit on em or something? lol I'm sure Nintendo can do the same.

The length some will go to try and destroy Nintendo. Why don't they try and hack the PS4 & XOne.

PigPen said:
The length some will go to try and destroy Nintendo. Why don't they try and hack the PS4 & XOne.

....yeah that's the reason they're doing this, clearly... -.-

Also, do you seriously believe that there aren't people out there working hard at hacking the X1 and PS4?

PigPen said:

Lol, people aren't specifically targeting just Nintendo. The Wii, PS3, 360, DS and PSP were all hacked in one form or another. People are likely trying to hack both the PS4 and X1 as well, but considering they've only been out for a few months i'd be surprised if they've had much success yet.

The WiiU was released a full year before either of them. 'Hackers' have had a lot longer to mess around with it.