By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii's Peak>PS4's peak

if PS4 peak 24M, it will sell more than PS2 lifetime.

I think it wont sell more than 17M in a year.

Around the Network

Many are ignoring trends. This gen will not sniff last gens totals. PS4 isn't even doing better than PS3 yet, imagine PS3 was the market leader last gen with its putrid start? There is no Wii this gen. The economy will not allow this gen to be greater than last.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

The problem is that the Wii was a PHENOMENON. Like, everywhere. EVERYONE wanted one. Your mother, aunt, grandfather, little brother, even hardcore gamers for a while loved it. The PS4 mainly appeals to gamers, it doesn't have near the total appeal the Wii had.

The PS4 needs to start getting good exclusives though, and fast. The PS2 in 2001 had games like Twisted Metal: Black, Devil May Cry, Gran Turismo 3, Jak and Daxter, GTAIII, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, Red Faction, TimeSplitters, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, ICO, SSX, and Klonoa 2. The PS4 has.... DriveClub, maybe?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nintentacle said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
yeah it wont reach wii

Maybe not the Wii's peak, but Sony was dealing with actual dedicated gamers all the way to casuals. The Wii's sales were front-loaded from cateringto non-gamers which is why there is an issue with third party sales on a console that sold 100 M. Sony will reach those numbers over a longer period of time but will enjoy longer lasting success with a more varied library of games.

1. The only first party game on the PS4 that casuals could enjoy is LittleBigPlanet 3, IMO.

2. I wouldn't say Wii's sales were front-loaded. It sold well its whole life-cycle up until 2012.

1. Casuals play Assassins Creed, COD and other games as well. NIntendo catered the Wii U to a new market that no one had cracked. Non-gamers. People who don't really have the time to game. They dumbed down the console so everyone could get their hands coupled with an extremely attractive price and Wii Sports title. 

Sony has only begun to start. They will have better legs as I've said before. Nintendo hasn't enjoyed 60+ m sales without third party so this was their first taste of success trying a new tactic. Sadly it was horrible for their third party sales in a traditional sense.

2. They were front loaded. It sold well from 2006 to 2010. 2011-12 were when it started dropping off the face of the earth. Once the Kinect came everyone found their next fad in 2010. People and their mothers were trying to get their hands on Kinects after 2010 just like they did with the Wii, but it was short lived.

It sold 11.5m in 2011. Just for comparison, 3DS-13.25m, 360-13.8m, PS3-14.7m, even tho it had dropped alot from its peak year and other devices sold better, Wii was still a strong seller and far from falling off the face of the earth.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

McDonaldsGuy said:
The problem is that the Wii was a PHENOMENON. Like, everywhere. EVERYONE wanted one. Your mother, aunt, grandfather, little brother, even hardcore gamers for a while loved it. The PS4 mainly appeals to gamers, it doesn't have near the total appeal the Wii had.

The PS4 needs to start getting good exclusives though, and fast. The PS2 in 2001 had games like Twisted Metal: Black, Devil May Cry, Gran Turismo 3, Jak and Daxter, GTAIII, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, Red Faction, TimeSplitters, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, ICO, SSX, and Klonoa 2. The PS4 has.... DriveClub, maybe?

Sony always takes two years for their development to surface properly. After that they tend to take off.

The PS4 has more total appeal than the Wii . The reason why the Wii  sold is bcause it dumbed down gaming so more applicable comers could enjoy it. Gaming today has created a ceiling that tends to leave many out in the cold when they wish to enjoy gaming with their more capable family members.

Around the Network

Nah, it won't beat 24M. Of course, the year it hits $299, it's sales are going to explode. And I also think it's going to best the Wii's final sales by 10M-15M.

Arius Dion said:
Many are ignoring trends. This gen will not sniff last gens totals. PS4 isn't even doing better than PS3 yet, imagine PS3 was the market leader last gen with its putrid start? There is no Wii this gen. The economy will not allow this gen to be greater than last.

whut?? wtf are you talking about the ps4 did 8.2 mill in 8 months while it took 14months for the ps3 to do that. check the numbers before posting dumb shit

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Arius Dion said:

PS4 is doing much much better than PS3. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

And to think...Wii U won't even hit that in its lifetime.

jlmurph2 said:
And to think...Wii U won't even hit that in its lifetime.

That about sums it all up.