By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the Wii U get a price drop and how much?

Price Cut When and How much?

$50 this year 2014 148 32.17%

$75 this year 2014 17 3.70%

$100 this year 2014 29 6.30%

$50 first half 2015 106 23.04%

$75 first half 2015 3 0.65%

$100 first half 2015 4 0.87%

$50 last half 2015 101 21.96%

$75 last half 2015 6 1.30%

$100 last half 2015 9 1.96%

$50-$100 2016 or after 37 8.04%

Total:460
ohmylanta1003 said:
Scisca said:

I'm not being ridiculous, it's just the way this world works. So the console is $210 in this bundle (if you assume the eshop game is worth $60, which is a blasphemy for me, I would never pay $60 for a PSN game, let alone a eshop game tied to a stupid piece of plastic and not my account). Cool. Now ask yourself what would make a bigger impact on the market and sell more consoles - such a bundle or the console for $210? Or even $230? Thought so. Which is exactly my point. This console still costs you $330. It's a good offer, but it's still $330. People look and see $330 and think they can get a PS4 for just $70 more. If the console was $230, that would be $170 more - not comparable anymore. This is how people think, this is the reality and you can't fight that.

And you are wrong, this bundle isn't available anywhere in Europe. The European one just has Mario Kart and the downloadable game in it. No WiiMote, and no Wii Wheel.

Clearly I'm not going to sway you. I still believe you're thinking is incorrect and your response to my previous post didn't really counteract any of the points I made. People look at bundles and generally say, "Wow, that bundle effectively reduces the price of the console to _____ dollars". If you're stupid, maybe you wouldn't say that, but someone with half a brain thinks the way that I just stated.

And why the hell do you care if the bundle doesn't come with a WiiMote/Wii Wheel? I thought they were worthless? Using something that's worthless to you as part of your argument? I think we're done here. Boom. *drops the mic*

I guess you won't. Some people may think that way, but the bottom line is - a lower price is a much clearer message and gets to everyone, unlike bundles. It's the difference between forcing people to think about the purchase and making it a no-brainer. And that is a massive difference. When people are to fork out $330 for a Wii U, they will be tempted to add another $70 and just get that PS4 that everyone is so crazy about. That wouldn't happen, if the price was around $230. This works especially well when people are buying a console as a gift.

Now you are being ridiculous. I'm just pointing out a fact you were wrong about.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
QuintonMcLeod said:

** Looks at your Sig **

Uhh... This recertifies your biasness. Mostly Sony products....

Yes, I am aware that VGcharts now shows the Xbone is outselling the Wii U, but many people believe those numbers are wrong and are waiting for the NPD, and for good reason.

Whatever the case may be, you are getting off topic. The point I'm trying to make here is that the price has little to do with the demand for the console. The console needs to produce value. The only thing to increase the value of the Wii U is to provide compelling software. Cutting the price would only give the Wii U a short boost in sales and then it'll drop back down again. Plus, it'll lower confidence among many consumers - because an even lower price would send signals that the Wii U is dying (which it isn't).

3 vs. 2 is already "mostly" and proves bias... Believe in whatever lets you sleep at night, I guess.

I'm not sure which way these numbers might go, but so far it is what it is. Either way Wii U is not doing great, contrary to what you were claiming in this thread. And it doesn't matter if it outsold XO or not, it's on a steep decline after the MK8 bumb and nothing is fixed.

The price always influences demand, it's one of basic laws of economy. Obviously, the console needs to show value, at which Wii U struggles greatly due to it being so much inferior to competition and abandoned by 3rd parties, but the price is the second most important factor in this equation.

The bottom line is - Wii U will never start selling at a higher clip at this price. Never. Nintendo can't pump out a Mario Kart every month. It needs to get cheaper and more than $50 cheaper to really start selling. A bigger cut worked wonders for 3DS and somehow didn't lower anyones confidence.

I really believe that no Nintendo hardware can cost more than $250.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:

3 vs. 2 is already "mostly" and proves bias... Believe in whatever lets you sleep at night, I guess.

I'm not sure which way these numbers might go, but so far it is what it is. Either way Wii U is not doing great, contrary to what you were claiming in this thread. And it doesn't matter if it outsold XO or not, it's on a steep decline after the MK8 bumb and nothing is fixed.

The price always influences demand, it's one of basic laws of economy. Obviously, the console needs to show value, at which Wii U struggles greatly due to it being so much inferior to competition and abandoned by 3rd parties, but the price is the second most important factor in this equation.

The bottom line is - Wii U will never start selling at a higher clip at this price. Never. Nintendo can't pump out a Mario Kart every month. It needs to get cheaper and more than $50 cheaper to really start selling. A bigger cut worked wonders for 3DS and somehow didn't lower anyones confidence.

I really believe that no Nintendo hardware can cost more than $250.

1) This is true, but the Wii U is still doing better than it was before. The Xbone on the other hand is also on the decline.

2) Price influences demand, but it doesn't hold demand. There will be a bump in sales and then those sales will diminish. That's how supply and demand works. There are two factors in controlling demand for a product. You either a) increase the value of the product or b) decrease the price. Decreasing the price is risky because it can't hold demand by itself. However, increasing value stimulates demand. Therefore, a price drop wouldn't be necessary. Plus, Nintendo can continue to make a profit. Money is what Nintendo needs to earn and not market share.

3) Once again, the price has little to do with it. The 3DS had one price drop to stimulate demand. The Wii U also had a price drop. You are demanding there be another one without understanding what the consequences are. The previous price drop for the Wii U stimulated demand for only a month or two. Then demand went down. It got a small spike due to the holiday, but then sales plummeted. This is how you know the price cut didn't stimulate demand enough. Now, Nintendo needs to do something else. They need to increase the value of their product. Cutting the price again would do nothing but hurt Nintendo's margins. The same happened with the Xbone. The price dropped by $100 dollars, but it did little to stimulate demand. That's because people don't see the value in the product. 

Look... People are willing to spend more on jewelry than they would on a PS4. The reason is because jewelry holds a much higher value. Same applies to cars and trucks. Those vehicles hold a higher value than the PS4, because people can see what a car can do over what a PS4 can do. People cannot see the value of the Wii U over what the PS4 can do. That is the problem. If Nintendo went on a buying binge and bought every 3rd party developer in Japan that they could afford, the value of Nintendo's products would increase. People would be more interested in the Wii U because now it has the support of every developer in Japan. 

You are willing to spend $20,000 dollars on a car, but you are not willing to spend $20,000 on a PS4. People will spend $1,000 on a wedding ring, but they will not spend that on a PS4. This is a very easy to understand concept. You believe Nintendo hardware shouldn't ever cost more than $250 because YOU, and you only, do not find the value in their products. However, if Nintendo were to release a high-tech smart phone or sophisticated tablet for $300, you'd buy it. Admit it. At that stage, the value of that product would increase - even by YOUR OWN standards. It's all about adding value. 

Scisca said:
TomaTito said:

Hehe

32gb is fine. It's good that you can still upgrade your drive on Sony's console (is there no option to expand? I thought the PS3 allowed you to use usb sticks for something). But you stuck with the bought capacity for the Xbox One? WHAT? Haven't paid attention, if true, that sucks.

You can expand the memory with an outside hard drive in every console. PS4 is the only one that allows you to update the interior storage though and doesn't force you to keep yet another bloody box next to your TV.

So everyone is the same... you made it sound much worse.
(my console and HTPC are hidden)

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

$100 after Smash Brothers like Mario Kart fails to generate any sustained momentum for the console and both Sony and Microsoft soundly kick Nintendo's butts up around its shoulder blades in sales this holiday season.

Around the Network
EdHieron said:

$100 after Smash Brothers like Mario Kart fails to generate any sustained momentum for the console and both Sony and Microsoft soundly kick Nintendo's butts up around its shoulder blades in sales this holiday season.

If Mario Kart & Smash Bros fail to give Wii U any type of momentum why would cutting the price to a point where they are losing money on it again help in anyway? 

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

someone should point out that a price cut didn't help the vita either!
(if there were games to accompany it, the vita would have been more successful e.g. mario 3d land and mario kart 7)

Wii U now has both those, so it is a good time for a price cutt

Hiku said:
TomaTito said:

If hdd capacity is holding you back, WiiU's 32gb flash memory is equivalent to PS4/XB1 500gb hdd.

If you go just with retail titles PS4/XB1 mandatory installs will fill it up fast, right? Meanwhile WiiU retail titles offer no installs and it's only the updates which are installed on your drive. That measly 32gb will last you much much longer.

If you go fully digital in both cases you need to expand the memory since it isn't enough.

If you go halfway, somewhere down the line you will need to expand your memory and it's easily done on the WiiU, you just need a usb drive. Can you expand your capacity on the PS4/XB1 or do you only have the upgrade option?

Just noticed it's all IFs, where are the ELSEs?

If you only buy a couple of games digitally, say 10-15, in a consoles life cycle, you can certainly get by with the storage space on PS3/360. I know I have so far.
As for the PS4/One game install sizes, they can vary a lot. Child of Light is 2,1 GB, Spiderman 2 is 9 GB, inFamous: Second Son is 23,8 GB, and Killzone is 38,2 GB.
You only have 407 GB of PS4's HDD available. So perhaps around 30-40 games will fit on avarage, depending on which ones you chose.
But there's also the option to un-instal old games you no longer play, so I can see this harddrive space being managable for me as well.

However, getting 10-15 digital games for Wii-U can be a BIG problem. While there are certain games that are very small, like Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker (Both are 1,7 GB each), and Mario Kart 8 is at a resonable (but still slightly large for the Wii U's HDD size) 4,9 GB, Resident Evil Revalations is 13 GB, Tekken Tag 2 is 16 GB, and Batman Archam City is 19 GB.

That's not looking good for anyone hoping to buy a couple of digital games without having to upgrade. Heck, if someone wants to buy Batman, they may not even be able to fit a second game on the Wii U Harddrive.

I'm not sure if you are correcting me or just like giving more examples.

Whenever you go digital you will need to expand your consoles capacity for any of the consoles. (You say the PS4 500 GB will last you longer and that could be, although you forget that "Nintendo owners" don't buy third party games xP which are normally the bloated ones). Going all retail is another thing, with the WiiU it's still mostly disc based while the other consoles act like digital versions.

Prices of digital tiles are still above retail ones, and that's taking into account the deluxe digital promotion. Someone who will go fully digital with a WiiU doesn't care about money and wants convenience, the extra expenses of a usb hdd are meaningless.

They all have their pros and their weakness, it isn't as easy as saying one is best; plus they all give you the option to expand your disk space, so if it's needed just expand it. It's not like the Vita where you are to buy memory cards right of the bat, whether you want to, need to or not.

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:
Scisca said:
TomaTito said:

Hehe

32gb is fine. It's good that you can still upgrade your drive on Sony's console (is there no option to expand? I thought the PS3 allowed you to use usb sticks for something). But you stuck with the bought capacity for the Xbox One? WHAT? Haven't paid attention, if true, that sucks.

You can expand the memory with an outside hard drive in every console. PS4 is the only one that allows you to update the interior storage though and doesn't force you to keep yet another bloody box next to your TV.

(my console and HTPC are hidden)

The x1 still can not use external harddrives, they said the support is coming but still not available, and the ps4 canot use it either, they can just change the internar drive. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
TomaTito said:
Scisca said:

The x1 still can not use external harddrives, they said the support is coming but still not available, and the ps4 canot use it either, they can just change the internar drive.

Back to square one again, so the other consoles still don't allow expandable capacity? Next time I'll look for the information myself.

EDIT: The Xbox One does allow expandable usb hdd since a June 3rd update...

"¡Viva la Ñ!"