By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the Wii U get a price drop and how much?

Price Cut When and How much?

$50 this year 2014 148 32.17%

$75 this year 2014 17 3.70%

$100 this year 2014 29 6.30%

$50 first half 2015 106 23.04%

$75 first half 2015 3 0.65%

$100 first half 2015 4 0.87%

$50 last half 2015 101 21.96%

$75 last half 2015 6 1.30%

$100 last half 2015 9 1.96%

$50-$100 2016 or after 37 8.04%

Total:460

I think they need a holiday bundle with smash bros for $249 and a sku without a game for $199. That's only asking $50 cut, shoot refurbished with Nintendo land is only $200 on ninintendo online store. Come holidays people are looking for deals. To most $199 console without game is a great deal, then they can buy whatever games they want which deals are always happing with them. That will move hardware and it looks like a $100 price cut when it's really only $50 because of removing the game.

Around the Network

$50 starting in late October/early November.

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Scisca said:

No, it's not how it works. The console still costs $330. Just a tad less than a PS4. You are using the RRP of the extras, which don't express the real value of these products. WiiMote? Cool, but I already have more of those than I'll ever need. Wii Wheel? Have one, don't need any tbh. The only thing that really has true value here is MK8 (if it's a retail copy included here, cause I don't care for download codes). So no, it's not $160 for the console. I'm gonna repeat it. People don't want more value. People want a smaller price.

Moreover, this bundle isn't available in Europe

I can't even comprehend how ridiculous you are being. Okay. Let's say that no one needs a WiiMote (which is most likely not true) and that no one needs a Wii Wheel (probably very true). So just forget that those are even included (which is stupid, but whatever). The bundle still comes with a must have game that costs $60 and a free game that costs $60 if you choose Pikmin 3 or a little less than $60 if you choose a different game. Now, let's assume that because most people (unlike you, who, for probably the sake of your argument, decides that the code is worthless) like free shit that's really, really easy to acquire (just type in the code to your Club Nintendo account, literally the easiest thing ever), we can still subtract the 2 game prices from the $330 dollars to get a Wii U price of $210 dollars. Pretty cheap, eh? And of course I'm using the RRP of the extras. Why the hell would I not? That literally makes no sense at all. If someone were to buy a Wii U and then buy 2 first party Nintendo games for their console (which will most likely happen, because people buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo games), it would cost them...drumroll please......$420! But with this bundle it only costs $330 and you get a FREE Wii Wheel and WiiMote that you can throw in the trash, use, or sell. The bundle saves you a whole $90 and I didn't even include the extra $10 dollars of sales tax you're saving! Literally the whole point of any bundle is to effectively reduce the price of the console, which this bundle does quite nicely.

And the fact that it isn't available in Europe (which isn't entirely true, as we all know it is available in some countries in Europe, Poland not being one of them I guess) doesn't really have anything to do with our argument.

I'm not being ridiculous, it's just the way this world works. So the console is $210 in this bundle (if you assume the eshop game is worth $60, which is a blasphemy for me, I would never pay $60 for a PSN game, let alone a eshop game tied to a stupid piece of plastic and not my account). Cool. Now ask yourself what would make a bigger impact on the market and sell more consoles - such a bundle or the console for $210? Or even $230? Thought so. Which is exactly my point. This console still costs you $330. It's a good offer, but it's still $330. People look and see $330 and think they can get a PS4 for just $70 more. If the console was $230, that would be $170 more - not comparable anymore. This is how people think, this is the reality and you can't fight that.

And you are wrong, this bundle isn't available anywhere in Europe. The European one just has Mario Kart and the downloadable game in it. No WiiMote, and no Wii Wheel.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

WiiU is already cheap. It does not need discount! But 50$ off is fine!

If Nintendo was me they'd drop the price to $250 in November and then release a SSB4 bundle for $270. Or maybe one with the gamecube controller adapter for $280.

Then in spring start bundling the next games for $250. Keep that most of the year so that there's a $250 Zelda bundle come late November, then drop the price of the console to $200 by the end of February 2016.

I dunno, seems like a mostly reasonable pace. I can't really see them cutting the price faster than that. I guess they could do straight up $250 Smash Bros. bundle this holiday and drop to $200 by end of 2015 with a special edition $230 Zelda bundle.

I think a below $300 bundle with SSB is a good idea, though, and almost necessary. $250 should pull people in.

Around the Network

Just keep games coming. If people want to play stuff that's on the Ps4, Xbone, or PC group of games (which is not and never will be available on the Wii U), dropping the Wii U (which has games that are not and never will be available on a Ps4, Xbone or PC group) price isn't going to change that. Pumping out games is the only way to sell the console.

If you're going to bring harddrive space into the equation, you should probably point out that XBox One and PS4 games have mandatory installs often in the 30GB plus range. Wii U games have installs of 0GB. About 408 GB on a PS4 is usable, which can mean as little as 10-15 games may be installed at a time.

Obviously I'm not ignorant to the advantages of having a larger harddrive, but a straight 1:1 comparison of hardware sizes as a price justification isn't appropriate.

If we see something this year, it will be a very small one, maybe to $279.99 to go along the Holidays and Smash, but a big 50 dollars price cut, would probably be around the time of Splatoon, since they are putting way to much trust in that game, though the best time, should either be around Xenoblade Chronicles X(along a bundle with the game for JRPG fans), or of Zelda U.

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst

Were the X360 & PS3 'gamers consoles'? The WiiU is at the least the equal to them. The WiiU is by far the cheapest way to get your console on now, why would they need to lower the price? For $300 you get at least 1 game, free online, and everyone has Wiimotes to play with friends/family. Plus there are 2000 Wii/U games available with 100s more Egames and more than half of the 2500 are less than $25. X1/Ps4 will cost you $600 for game,2nd controller, online and there are only 50 games to choose from each.

Skidonti said:

If Nintendo was me they'd drop the price to $250 in November and then release a SSB4 bundle for $270. Or maybe one with the gamecube controller adapter for $280.

Then in spring start bundling the next games for $250. Keep that most of the year so that there's a $250 Zelda bundle come late November, then drop the price of the console to $200 by the end of February 2016.

I dunno, seems like a mostly reasonable pace. I can't really see them cutting the price faster than that. I guess they could do straight up $250 Smash Bros. bundle this holiday and drop to $200 by end of 2015 with a special edition $230 Zelda bundle.

I think a below $300 bundle with SSB is a good idea, though, and almost necessary. $250 should pull people in.

i think they will phase out the NSMBU bundle and drop the MK8 bundle to $299 plus add in a Smash Bros bundle as well for the holidays. These will be the 2 main bundles for Christmas.

Wii U Deluxe w/Mario Kart 8+Wii Remote+Wii Wheel-$299

Wii U Deluxe w/Smash Bros U+Gamecube controller+Gamecube adapter-$299

Also I think they will do the free game promotion again when Smash Bros releases. Mario Kart had the option of NSMBU/Pikmin 3/Wind Waker HD/Wii Party U. The choices for Smash Bros should be Mario 3D World/DKC Tropical Freeze/Wii Sports Club/Nintendo Land.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.