By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the Wii U get a price drop and how much?

Price Cut When and How much?

$50 this year 2014 148 32.17%

$75 this year 2014 17 3.70%

$100 this year 2014 29 6.30%

$50 first half 2015 106 23.04%

$75 first half 2015 3 0.65%

$100 first half 2015 4 0.87%

$50 last half 2015 101 21.96%

$75 last half 2015 6 1.30%

$100 last half 2015 9 1.96%

$50-$100 2016 or after 37 8.04%

Total:460

Been saying holidays drop to $200 since last year.

Around the Network
Scisca said:
TomaTito said:

Just found an ELSE, thanks Scisca, didn't notice before!

ELSE:
   Since there is a tiny list of games, the 32gb will last you a lifetime.
END

De nada

To tell the truth, a bit more memory would be nice to see, but then again - my Wii had just 512 MB and I never felt the need to upgrade. I kinda feel it will be the same with Wii U. Extra memory wouldn't make the console more attractive, a lower price would. 12GB version is too small, but 32GB would be ok for me, I wouldn't buy anything on the eshop till it's tied to the console and not an account either way.

On the other hand, I didn't have a problem filling up my 320 GB disc on PS3, so 500GB on PS4/XO seems ridiculously small, kinda like the 20GB PS3 were back in the day. Though obviously PS4 isn't that much of a problem, you can swap it for 2 TB anytime, but XO without the option of removing the disc... Heh, MS...

Hehe

32gb is fine. It's good that you can still upgrade your drive on Sony's console (is there no option to expand? I thought the PS3 allowed you to use usb sticks for something). But you stuck with the bought capacity for the Xbox One? WHAT? Haven't paid attention, if true, that sucks.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I still dont understand why people try to defend the price of the WiiU atm. Majority of the potential buyers think its too expensive and thats why the WiiU is still struggling.

sam987 said:
I still dont understand why people try to defend the price of the WiiU atm. Majority of the potential buyers think its too expensive and thats why the WiiU is still struggling.

Nah man. The majority of "buyers" use that as a lame excuse to not buy the Wii U. And besides, you can find Wii Us really cheap (bundles/refurbished). The people that call for ridiculous price cuts were never going to buy a Wii U in the first place and most likely will not in the future. There's a point where you need to stop talking about price and start talking about the real reason you won't buy a Wii U. Of course if the price of the Wii U comes down an insane amount people are going to buy it. I could say the same thing about a PS4. "If they would just drop the price down to $100, then I would buy one". Of course you would. Who wouldn't?

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ohmylanta1003 said:
sam987 said:

Nah man. The majority of "buyers" use that as a lame excuse to not buy the Wii U. And besides, you can find Wii Us really cheap (bundles/refurbished). The people that call for ridiculous price cuts were never going to buy a Wii U in the first place and most likely will not in the future. There's a point where you need to stop talking about price and start talking about the real reason you won't buy a Wii U. Of course if the price of the Wii U comes down an insane amount people are going to buy it. I could say the same thing about a PS4. "If they would just drop the price down to $100, then I would buy one". Of course you would. Who wouldn't?

Maybe you dont get it. Call it a lame excuse or whatever you want it to be called but that doesnt help the sales.....Have you seen the sales of the PS4 from launchday till now?

Around the Network
Scisca said:
QuintonMcLeod said:
Bfriedli said:

I think Nintendo needs a price drop bad.  It's not a "gamers" console that has lower specs then PS4 or XB1.  It has a 32bg hd vs 500gb. PS4 & XB1 are $399 after getting a external 500gb HD for Wii U it's $375. I believe they need a price cut bad.  If you agree how much and when do you think they will.  If you don't think they need a price cut, why not?

You guys are still going on about this?

I doubt we'll see another price drop if Nintendo just recently stopped bleeding money by the Wii U. If you think the Wii U is too expensive with a huge backlog of games while the PS4/Xbone are the perfect price with very few games, then the issue is not the Wii U's price.

What huge backlog? The issue is the corelation between the price and the games released and upcoming. The tiny list of games might I add and no 3rd party support. Wii U has the bleakest future out of the 3 no matter how you spin it, thus isn't worth as much money.

Lets move your bias opinions aside and look at facts. The Xbone has many of the same titles as the PS4 and it is *not* selling as well. Nintendo released one game and now the Wii U is turning around and is outselling the Xbone. The price has stayed the same for the Wii U while the Xbone's price has dropped. Once again, it's not the price of the Wii U that's the problem. 

sam987 said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
sam987 said:

Maybe you dont get it. Call it a lame excuse or whatever you want it to be called but that doesnt help the sales.....Have you seen the sales of the PS4 from launchday till now?

No, YOU don't get it. My point was that anything will sell if the price is dropped enough. Since you don't understand, I guess I'll have to give you an example. Let's say Honda decides that they're going to drop the price of their Honda Civic to $1,000. Now, the Honda Civic has always been considered a very reliable car that lasts a very long time on the road. While it's not as powerful as some of the other choices offered by other companies, it's a quality car nonetheless. Now let's say that someone is looking to buy a new car. I think everyone can agree that most people in this situation would buy the Honda Civic, as it is a quality choice for a fraction of the price of the other cars. Or maybe this person will buy a more powerful car with some cool features that the Civic can't offer, but then will also buy a Civic anyway because the price is so low. Honda would sell a buttload of Civics. YAY FOR HONDA!!! They did it. They sold a ton of cars and business is soaring...oh, wait, it's not, because Honda couldn't make any profit selling the Civic at that low of a price. But a ton of people bought it, which was their goal in the first place. But dropping the price wasn't the answer.

Point being, a price drop isn't necessarily the best choice for the company. There are other ways to entice people to buy your product and sometimes a price drop is just straight unreasonable. At this point, dropping the price of the Wii U any further doesn't make sense for Nintendo, and trust me, Nintendo knows better than you.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Now this is for the arguments saying they don't need a price cut. Most of (not all) are saying that it doesn't need as big of hard drive as others because it doesn't use that much memory. It has bigger library of games. This is true, but Nintendo is pushing digital. They even have Deluxe Digital Promotion till December 31st 2014, 10% back to be used for future digital or eshop purchases. I think having flash memory is way better too, but think as a family console people are going to look for the best deal in there mind. They see newest updated console, bigger hd, way more 3rd party games especially sports(no Maddin 15, no UFC, no NBA2k14, no FIFA 15, ect), Blu ray player, lots more of a multimedia player, ect. They get all of this extra for $100 more. But they don't know that Nintendo games if you don't download them you don't need more memory, so there already thinking I have to upgrade my memory which costs around $75, so there comparing all this extra stuff PS4/XB1 has compared to what Wii U has and saying its gonna be $375 for Wii U and $399 for XB1/PS4. Even though theres important details they don't know like Nintendo games don't take up that much memory. Look through this forum more then 70% think it should or already should have had a price drop. Half of those probably don't own a Wii U but would if the price dropped $50-100. I think if they want to salvage this they need a $50 price drop this year with 2 games. Then next year because by then PS4/XB1 will, drop another $50. Discontinue the 8gb, drop that down $70.
Now that being said I do own a Wii U. Only because of a couple of reasons, I've always been a fan of Nintendo, I got a great deal $299 with 3 games plus $50 gift card. After holidays I seen XB1 bundle with kinect for $450 with game and 12 months Xbox live. If I would have seen that during holidays I would have a tough time deciding.
I know that Nintendo shouldn't have to price drop, but average person looking to buy a new console would highly likely swing to Wii U if it did and then they would start getting more 3rd party support. Nintendo looks at it as the consumer knows everything Nintendo and PS4/XB1, they don't. Look at 3ds, it bombed big time. Until price dropped twice then it skyrocketed and has great 3rd party support.

It'll definitely get a price cut by $50, but I don't think it'll happen till the first half of next year, that or near the release of Super Smash Bros.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

never.
they will add games and controlers, but thwy will never drop the price.