Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Nintendo shouldn't suck up to third parties

I completely agree with #2.
I haven't played any first party on other consoles so I they are subpar.



Around the Network

"Nintendo makes the best games", I hear that line all the time around here (no where else I might add). Here's the highest rated games of all time, http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all. I see a lot of games that aren't made by Nintendo up there. Where does this statement come from? Does it carry any real weight, I don't think it does. Gamers have options and currently most consumers aren't choosing the WiiU so really Nintendos games aren't the gold standard as some would like to believe.
I don't understand why some Nintendo fans have this "Nintendo quality" boner as if other games break down every 5 seconds or are trash or something. People pick on titles like Battlefield 4 and UFC for proof of 3rd party "incompetence" while every other non buggy game gets ignored by the quality police. Maybe some people just have higher "standards", or perhaps they're just being pretentious. Who knows.



I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Part of me wants Nintendo to totally abandon 3rd parties so that their next system can fail even harder so that I can see what conspiracy theory some fans will come up with next. Unless the hardware sells itself (like the Wii) this approach is suicide.



I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Mr Khan said:
forest-spirit said:
Euphoria14 said:

It is obvious to anyone with common sense that Nintendo IS NOT the best developer in the world. Their online is subpar (They even choose AGAINST in game chat for a team-based competitive shooter!!) and I doubt they could even create a game on the same level as Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Minecraft or even Destiny.

Until they prove that they can then there is no way to begin claiming them to be the best. The notion is just silly.


Common sense? According to whom is it common sense and what is it based on? Also, using that common sense, who is the best developer in the world. Their online has been subpar yes, but online is but one element and is not featured in every single game so it would be silly to use that as some kind of deciding factor. Discrediting developers for subpar gameplay, uninspired level design, boring art style, poor visuals or releasing products with significant bugs would be just as valid.

It seems like you're using your own opninion and preferences to define this level that Nintendo needs to surpass. For many Nintendo has already made games that surpass those (or those games never beat Nintendo's offerings to begin with). Now, it's perfectly fine for you to believe that Nintendo is incapable of reaching that "level" but that doesn't mean that everyone has to share that belief. And thus there's nothing silly about regarding Nintendo as the greatest, unless people claim it to be fact or "common sense".

Good response.

You would see, if you continued to read, that this is my point. No dev is universally "the best". For everything you might think they do best someone else will cite something they cannot do that another dev does and does well.



iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

    

Got a retro room? Post it here!

mii-gamer said:
Euphoria14 said:
mii-gamer said:


Easy! Highest rated games of all time, highest software sales of all time, most consistent, most diverse, a name and franchises synonymous with modern gaming. Where is your argument? Skyrim? An opinion, based on your personal thoughts? ok then! The data is on my side, how unfortunate for you

Good for you.

People not buying a WiiU proves me right.

Poor argument!

Hardware sales is a terrible measure of a game developers pedigree. I sincerely hope you are not serious with that point.

Anyway I'll see you tmrrwz

Good morning.

Leaving for work so I will make this short.

 

My only point last night was to say Nintendo is not the be all end all of developers and if they cannot do it all then what makes them the best? Skyrim was only used as an example since it is a title Nintendo cannot create, especially doing so without any bugs. They are the best in specific categories of games, just like many others, which would make them "one of the best".

I do not believe there to be a "best of the best".

 

 

 

I also apologize if some of my posts seem a bit "off". I am personally shocked at how much I posted last night. It all came after family was over for a weekend BBQ and I was really drunk.

I am proud of my typing.



iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

    

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
"Nintendo makes the best games", I hear that line all the time around here (no where else I might add). Here's the highest rated games of all time, http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all. I see a lot of games that aren't made by Nintendo up there. Where does this statement come from? Does it carry any real weight, I don't think it does. Gamers have options and currently most consumers aren't choosing the WiiU so really Nintendos games aren't the gold standard as some would like to believe.
I don't understand why some Nintendo fans have this "Nintendo quality" boner as if other games break down every 5 seconds or are trash or something. People pick on titles like Battlefield 4 and UFC for proof of 3rd party "incompetence" while every other non buggy game gets ignored by the quality police. Maybe some people just have higher "standards", or perhaps they're just being pretentious. Who knows.


Your metacritic link sadly doesn't show the publisher or developer. Would be intresting to count which name appears the most. But I have another link for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacritic

Especially interesting are the two tables which show the top ten of all times (stand january 2014) including the publisher and the best game per year. The name Nintendo appears more often than any other publisher. And thats one of the reason, why I think that Nintendo makes the best games.



Euphoria14 said:

Good response.

You would see, if you continued to read, that this is my point. No dev is universally "the best". For everything you might think they do best someone else will cite something they cannot do that another dev does and does well.


'Best' -    " of the most excellent or desirable type or quality."   "most skillful, talented, or successful"  "better than all others in quality or value"  

Using certain objective standards, it can be argued that Nintendo is one of the best, if not the best developers around. Subjectively, it will widely vary on preference of course.

People have been calling all kinds of devs the best since gaming forums have been a thing, now suddenly here you come with some made up criteria, telling people they can't call anyone the best. All devs make games. Whichever one they think make the best games is who people will call the best.



Play4Fun said:
Euphoria14 said:
 

Good response.

You would see, if you continued to read, that this is my point. No dev is universally "the best". For everything you might think they do best someone else will cite something they cannot do that another dev does and does well.


'Best' -    " of the most excellent or desirable type or quality."   "most skillful, talented, or successful"  "better than all others in quality or value"  

Using certain objective standards, it can be argued that Nintendo is one of the best, if not the best developers around. Subjectively, it will widely vary on preference of course.

People have been calling all kinds of devs the best since gaming forums have been a thing, now suddenly here you come with some made up criteria, telling people they can't call anyone the best. All devs make games. Whichever one they think make the best games is who people will call the best.

Fair enough. OP makes a statement about Nintendo being the best and me and many others disagree.

Just leave it at that.



iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

    

Got a retro room? Post it here!

The OP is solely basing itself in opinions, nothing but that. It's biased paranoia that 3rd parties are plotting against Nintendo. Nintendo is the one giving them a hard platform to work with, like the underpowered Wii and now the underpowered/odd WiiU, and selling like it is, of course 3rd parties have to move on but not because they don't want to move their games there, Ninty simply is repelling 3rd parties.

Ninty games more polished than everything else? Well, that is some bold assumption, at least nowadays, Nintendo exclusives doesn't seem to be able to compete anymore at many technical levels. Even the best looking games such as Bayo 2 and XX are very limited.

I think what Nintendo is lacking is humility (like first 2 years of ps3), they can no longer discard 3rd parties because they're getting at the same level money-wise as Nintendo as we speak (Ubi/Activision), and they don't produce consoles. Nintendo either blends in for real or goes 1st party for once and with no regrets.



...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

They need to finance third party developers not tied to any publisher, especially ones with good names behind them. Throwing money at big publishers to get AAA multiplat titles that don't sell would be fighting an uphill battle and one that Nintendo will never win. Exclusives have always sold systems for Nintendo, so diversifying their exclusives with second-party titles is the best way to go IMO. Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Devil's Third, and Lego City Undercover are good places to start.



NNID: TheCCluc