By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us remastered now officially 1080p 60fps!

VanceIX said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
spemanig said:
kupomogli said:
But but but.... next gen consoles are too weak to do 1080p @60fps when the game looks marginally good.

TLOU is a linear game. Not nearly as damanding. This doesn't "prove" anything.

Their is no correlation between linearity and the technical demands of the game. Crytek 3.

A game the size of Grand Theft Auto or Skyrim with a dynamic world would require the game engine to handle much more than a game that only has to have a small, non-dynamic, constrained game. It's why people drool over Naughty Dog, even though making linear games pretty isn't that hard when you have that kind of budget.

Now, if Naughty Dog made an open world, exploration-based game with those kind of graphics, yeah, that would be commendable. Having minature areas with set loading points like Uncharted and TLOU is much less stressful on the game engine.

TLOU loads the entire game once at startup. 

There is no correlation between technical demands of a game and its percieved linearity. Scale is not the same as linearity, scale is what determines technical demands. Infamous is an open world game for PS3, Forza is a racing game. Forza is a lot more technically demanding than Infamous. 

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
ShyGuy322 said:
GribbleGrunger said:
If people don't like it that's fair enough, but inventing reasons for not liking it is irritating.

Perhaps people's reasons for not liking it are subjective, which is why you don't understand. Getting irritated about someone not liking a game as much as you is something I outgrew when I was 7.

This isn't subjective, it's an out and out lie:

It's essentially like a super high-budget movie with game functions. You can shoot zombies and all, but everything is scripted, and there is little to no environment interaction.

Now that you're 8, I'm sure you'll be able to look up the word 'subjective' in the dictionary.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
VanceIX said:

LOL. No, I'm not ignorant for pointing out the truth. TLOU is a script-driven game, with smaller areas with linear progression and limited AI driving the game. By keeping the game linear and sacrificing on openness, ND managed to devote a ton of power to the graphics while enchancing it with story and decent gameplay. 

Are you sure you played TLOU? It doesn't sound at all like the game I played. Perhaps you're not ignorant ... perhaps you're getting it mixed up with another game?

I played TLOU. I don't own it, and I won't pretend I do. I haven't played through all of it either. But from the amount that I played (and I played more than a decent amount), I can say it's focus on linear gameplay is less taxing on the engine. In a game like Skyrim, you have a huge world that is constantly being loaded and generated, with dynamic AI appearing almost at random. There is a lot of emphasis on environmental interaction, with wildlife being generated and entire mountains being scalable at once. In TLOU, you get a couple of streets or confined areas with set AI. Don't get me wrong, the game is a masterpiece in terms of story, but lets not pretend ND stumbled upon the Holy Grail of game engines.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Aura7541 said:
GribbleGrunger said:
VanceIX said:

The graphics aren't. It's essentially like a super high-budget movie with game functions. You can shoot zombies and all, but everything is scripted, and there is little to no environment interaction.

LOL. Have you any idea how ignorant you made yourself look?

I disagree with him, too, but he's entitled to his opinion. However, I do get a little irritated when people keep bringing up "linear". Yes, TLOU is linear, but how linear? Corridor linear to the point that the map is literally a straight line linear a la FFXIII? Or wide linear where you have freedom to explore despite the game not being open world? Some of the areas in TLOU are pretty expansive, so the game falls in the category of wide linear.

He's entitled to his own informed opinion, his argument is out of ignorance thus he is not entitled to it.

I have nothing wrong with him being uniformed, my issue is when he talks about what he doesn't know about and to add insult to injury he refuses to listen to correction.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

bubblegamer said:
Azerth said:
Not surprising since its a last gen port

Then why doesn't this apply to Halo 2, which is from an even older gen?

cuz its running two engines at once and we dont know the offical fps yet 

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
GribbleGrunger said:
VanceIX said:

LOL. No, I'm not ignorant for pointing out the truth. TLOU is a script-driven game, with smaller areas with linear progression and limited AI driving the game. By keeping the game linear and sacrificing on openness, ND managed to devote a ton of power to the graphics while enchancing it with story and decent gameplay. 

Are you sure you played TLOU? It doesn't sound at all like the game I played. Perhaps you're not ignorant ... perhaps you're getting it mixed up with another game?

I played TLOU. I don't own it, and I won't pretend I do. I haven't played through all of it either. But from the amount that I played (and I played more than a decent amount), I can say it's focus on linear gameplay is less taxing on the engine. In a game like Skyrim, you have a huge world that is constantly being loaded and generated, with dynamic AI appearing almost at random. There is a lot of emphasis on environmental interaction, with wildlife being generated and entire mountains being scalable at once. In TLOU, you get a couple of streets or confined areas with set AI. Don't get me wrong, the game is a masterpiece in terms of story, but lets not pretend ND stumbled upon the Holy Grail of game engines.

You want to talk about the technical demands of a game, yet you have no experience how these games are designed and what is taxing on the system in terms of development? Because it isn't something as arbitrary as gameplay e_e.

VanceIX said:

You should have played more because you're competely wrong. TLOU has the best gameplay of any game out there but it just happens to have the best story, best characters and best acting out there too. That's why it's a masterpiece and why it's the most awarded game that's ever been made.

The PS5 Exists. 

Azerth said:
bubblegamer said:
Azerth said:
Not surprising since its a last gen port

Then why doesn't this apply to Halo 2, which is from an even older gen?

cuz its running two engines at once and we dont know the offical fps yet 

I'm perplexed why running two engines at once is seen as a good thing rather than a huge inefficency, surely there is a better way to do it. Its not like the meshes the'll use will be that different.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
VanceIX said:
GribbleGrunger said:
VanceIX said:

You want to talk about the technical demands of a game, yet you have no experience how these games are designed and what is taxing on the system in terms of development? Because it isn't something as arbitrary as gameplay e_e.

Please, tell me where TLOU is possibly demanding in any area not called graphics. You yourself said that it "loads the entire game" (which isn't true since the PS3 only has 512mb of RAM), so I'm not sure where I'm ignorant.

GribbleGrunger said:
VanceIX said:

You should have played more because you're competely wrong. TLOU has the best gameplay of any game out there but it just happens to have the best story, best characters and best acting out there too. That's why it's a masterpiece and why it's the most awarded game that's ever been made.

Almost everything you just said is subjective. Story, characters, and acting you have a case for. I've definitely had better gameplay though. For me, personally, TLOU was just another post-apocalyptic zombie shooter in a long list of post-apocalyptic zombie shooters. A great game for sure, but not quite what it's made out to be. Just me, mind you. You have your opnion on it and reviewers have theirs.