By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us remastered now officially 1080p 60fps!

GribbleGrunger said:
VanceIX said:

I played TLOU. I don't own it, and I won't pretend I do. I haven't played through all of it either. But from the amount that I played (and I played more than a decent amount), I can say it's focus on linear gameplay is less taxing on the engine. In a game like Skyrim, you have a huge world that is constantly being loaded and generated, with dynamic AI appearing almost at random. There is a lot of emphasis on environmental interaction, with wildlife being generated and entire mountains being scalable at once. In TLOU, you get a couple of streets or confined areas with set AI. Don't get me wrong, the game is a masterpiece in terms of story, but lets not pretend ND stumbled upon the Holy Grail of game engines.

You should have played more because you're competely wrong. TLOU has the best gameplay of any game out there but it just happens to have the best story, best characters and best acting out there too. That's why it's a masterpiece and why it's the most awarded game that's ever been made.

Lol..it's ok if someone doesn't like the game as much as you. I personally think it's overrated with very run of the mill gameplay that we had all seen before. You aren't going to change people's opinions by stating your's more loudly. It doesn't matter how many awards it won, if someone doesn't find the game to be fun, then it's meaningless.

Around the Network
VanceIX said:

Almost everything you just said is subjective. Story, characters, and acting you have a case for. I've definitely had better gameplay though. For me, personally, TLOU was just another post-apocalyptic zombie shooter in a long list of post-apocalyptic zombie shooters. A great game for sure, but not quite what it's made out to be. Just me, mind you. You have your opnion on it and reviewers have theirs.

I can appreciate that some people won't like it but you have to remember that all of these conversations started with a lie and some people agreed with that lie.

The graphics aren't. It's essentially like a super high-budget movie with game functions. You can shoot zombies and all, but everything is scripted, and there is little to no environment interaction.

The PS5 Exists. 

Zekkyou said:
ShyGuy322 said:
Too bad those improved visuals won't make the game any better.

Yep, you can't improve upon perfection ;D

(in seriousness nothing is perfect, but for me TLOU was as damn close as anything in the 7th gen got).

I loved the game but it had deep, DEEP gameplay flaws. 

VanceIX said:

Please, tell me where TLOU is possibly demanding in any area not called graphics. You yourself said that it "loads the entire game" (which isn't true since the PS3 only has 512mb of RAM), so I'm not sure where I'm ignorant.

Rendering, Physics, World, Audio, Networking, AI in that order with Rendering being the most technically demanding and AI being the least, complex AI is still relatively cheap comparitevely, Networking is typically light by neccesity. Framerate and Resolution require a lot of power. World system which handles streaming of the maps and locations of the actors is only really taxing if the system was designed that way.

For example, the most taxing thing about Skyrim is usually its graphics followed by its handling of multiple AI actors.

As for TLOU "loads the entire game" does not mean that the entire game is loaded into memory which is a stupid thing to assume, it means that it does all the necessary preloading during the start. Anyone whose actually played the game will know what I'm referring too.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Mystro-Sama said:
Dark Chaos said:

Halo 2 is a Complete remaster while TLOU is a port

They said TLOU was built from the ground up for PS3 and they had to completely redo alot of the game in addition to adding more details and effects. So I wouldn't exactly call it just a port.

I assume you meant built from the ground up for PS4?

They haven't really shown off the improved details and effects. The only footage I can find seems to be sharper FMVs.

The announcment trailer footage did not look like a game built for PS4.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Rendering, Physics, World, Audio, Networking, AI in that order with Rendering being the most technically demanding and AI being the least, complex AI is still relatively cheap comparitevely, Networking is typically light by neccesity. Framerate and Resolution require a lot of power. World system which handles streaming of the maps and locations of the actors is only really taxing if the system was designed that way.

For example, the most taxing thing about Skyrim is usually its graphics followed by its handling of multiple AI actors.

As for TLOU "loads the entire game" does not mean that the entire game is loaded into memory which is a stupid thing to assume, it means that it does all the necessary preloading during the start. Anyone whose actually played the game will know what I'm referring too.

Oh hell yeah, it hangs at 98% just a tad too long for my liking!

The PS5 Exists. 

VanceIX said:
GribbleGrunger said:
VanceIX said:

I played TLOU. I don't own it, and I won't pretend I do. I haven't played through all of it either. But from the amount that I played (and I played more than a decent amount), I can say it's focus on linear gameplay is less taxing on the engine. In a game like Skyrim, you have a huge world that is constantly being loaded and generated, with dynamic AI appearing almost at random. There is a lot of emphasis on environmental interaction, with wildlife being generated and entire mountains being scalable at once. In TLOU, you get a couple of streets or confined areas with set AI. Don't get me wrong, the game is a masterpiece in terms of story, but lets not pretend ND stumbled upon the Holy Grail of game engines.

You should have played more because you're competely wrong. TLOU has the best gameplay of any game out there but it just happens to have the best story, best characters and best acting out there too. That's why it's a masterpiece and why it's the most awarded game that's ever been made.

Almost everything you just said is subjective. Story, characters, and acting you have a case for. I've definitely had better gameplay though. For me, personally, TLOU was just another post-apocalyptic zombie shooter in a long list of post-apocalyptic zombie shooters. A great game for sure, but not quite what it's made out to be. Just me, mind you. You have your opnion on it and reviewers have theirs.

How many acclaimed series are new franchies?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
VanceIX said:

Please, tell me where TLOU is possibly demanding in any area not called graphics. You yourself said that it "loads the entire game" (which isn't true since the PS3 only has 512mb of RAM), so I'm not sure where I'm ignorant.

Then don't say it "loads the whole game". Big difference between preloading and loading an entire game. Preloading is loading important parts of the game, not all of them.

Rendering goes with graphics, and TLOU renders a lot less in general in one level than a game like GTA has to when you're flying across a huge map.. Physics is taxing, but TLOU didn't have exemplary physics for the most part. Audio is a scratch. Networking, not sure how it comes into play in the single-player part. AI can be taxing if you're handling dozens of dynamic AI characters.

Framerate and resolution is once again hand-in-hand with graphics.

Anyway, if you believe that TLOU is very demanding in areas that aren't graphics, then tell me those. Because that's where ND put the most emphasis in terms of resource usage. The game hardly has to render nearly as much as open world games.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
VanceIX said:

Then don't say it "loads the whole game". Big difference between preloading and loading an entire game. Preloading is loading important parts of the game, not all of them.

Rendering goes with graphics, and TLOU renders a lot less in general in one level than a game like GTA has to when you're flying across a huge map.. Physics is taxing, but TLOU didn't have exemplary physics for the most part. Audio is a scratch. Networking, not sure how it comes into play in the single-player part. AI can be taxing if you're handling dozens of dynamic AI characters.

Framerate and resolution is once again hand-in-hand with graphics.

Anyway, if you believe that TLOU is very demanding in areas that aren't graphics, then tell me those. Because that's where ND put the most emphasis in terms of resource usage. The game hardly has to render nearly as much as open world games.

Wait a minute...do you think Open World Games render more than linear games? I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself, there is no correlation between linearity and techincal demands, that is a matter of scale. 

For instance, Skyrim loads the game in cells, using Octrees or something similar to load things outside of the cell, in a corresponding level of the game depending on its design it might load a segment of the map to the full map in its entirety, but like Skyrim it will only load a certain number of things in the map at one time. The percieved openess of the game has literally nothing to do with it.

Not to mention Rendering, WHICH WHOLLY ENCOPASSES GRAPHICS AND PERFORMANCE not the other way around, is THE MOST computationally intensive thing of any properly optimized game. AI is barely taxing at all. Sure alot of AI can be taxing, but so can 4k 120 fps. 

look at Dead Rising 3, the AI for thousands of Zombies is competely eclipsed by the rendering of those zombies and their physics.

Rendering 1000 objects is more taxing then doing the AI for them, by a huge degree.

let me make it simple for you:

The openess of a game has nothing to do with what a game loads and has to render, must process the physics for, and control the events of the objects shown at one time which is what determines technical demands of a game.

Kyuu said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Dark Chaos said:

Halo 2 is a Complete remaster while TLOU is a port

They said TLOU was built from the ground up for PS3 and they had to completely redo alot of the game in addition to adding more details and effects. So I wouldn't exactly call it just a port.

It's basically getting the same treatment Team ICO collection had. Increase resolution/fps and improve textures. More than a port but less than a complete remaster.

Exactly. Halo 2 is a remaster. Everything is being built from scratch no upresing or improved textures. Watch the E3 gameplay clip for proof.

Also Halo 2 will have Forge (Map Editor), 4 player Splitscreen coop and online mp all in 60fps with all DLC included and you can see why its not the same as the treatment TLOU is getting.

Even Mario Kart 8 can't get 60fps when played in splitscreen beyond two players.

Does TLOU even have splitsceen MP?