By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs more studios BADLY!

Do you think Sony needs more studios?

Yes, they definitely need more studios 131 28.73%

No, they have plenty of studios 225 49.34%

Neither because their stu... 98 21.49%

Total:454
Kresnik said:

Times have changed.  Shock horror.

For example, I saw you earlier say that downloadable games don't really count.  Fine.  SOE are bringing Planetside 2 to PS4 (which is already on PC).  Doesn't count?  Okay, you're entitled to your opinion.  But I'm much happier SOE are bringing stuff like that to PS4 than the tat like Untold Legends that they brought to PS3.  It may have been an exclusive and a retail title, but it wasn't much good.

It's kind of inevitable that this happened really.

And I don't think Sony needs more studios.  I was pretty gutted when they shut teams like Studio Liverpool, but in the past few years Sony have made so many mid-tier games and haven't advertised any of them (Puppeteer; Sly 4; Ratchet Nexus; Starhawk; Twisted Metal etc.)  I personally was a massive fan of this kind of stuff and bought all of them, but I'm clued up on these kind of things.  The majority of the public aren't, and they were kinda pissing money away releasing them and getting poor sales because no-one knew they were coming out.  

That's the difference with Sony now.  Fewer titles, but bigger titles.  It may not be to my personal tastes, but it's probably better for them as a whole.  They can still push smaller stuff as downloadable titles, or slot a few in here and there to their schedule (i.e. Ratchet Redux).

I'm not saying that there's anything bad about PSN downloadable games or anything. It's just that.. Nobody is dropping hundreds of dollars of cash to play a downloadable Indie game. A free to play game is in the same boat. Kresnik, be honest, would you buy a brand new $400 dollar PS4 specifically for a free to play game? Even if you look at the sales each week, you will see that nobody is buying a system for a free to play game. 

Look at Deep Down and Bloodborne for example. I was really excited for DeepDown until i heard it was free to play. If you watch the sales pattern in japan, you will see how much more Bloodborne will impact japan way more than DeepDown will. 

I also the fact that Sony is focusing more on bigger titles but DAMN they need to have a bit more coming than what we are seeing. That's why i said that they need more studios so they can also be working on BIG titles and releasing them more evenly throughout each year

Around the Network
method114 said:
ikki5 said:
method114 said:
ikki5 said:

yeah but... with what money. Really the PS4 is the only thing doing well for them. The rest are mediocre of tanking and by this time next year, it is hard to see what the PS4 is going to be doing because consoles as a whole are tanking as well.

I don't think you know what the word "tanking" means. Consoles might not be doing as good as they used to (I honestly don't know either way) but they're far from tanking.

um... yeah they are.  With the consoles all reletively new on the market and they are all not doing great now. it is only going to get worse. I'd call that tanking

Xbox one and PS4 are doing better than they did last generation so your only talking about Nintendo which was an anonmally last generation as it is.

The Xbox 360 by this time was selling 80k units a week which is a 20-25% drop about. PS3 had a very rough start so yeah, it is doing better but over all, it is droping quite quickly. Yeah, they had a boom start, but that is not going to last... in fact, it is already crashing. The PS4 is taking longer but it is still crashing.

enditall727 said:

Look at Deep Down and Bloodborne for example. I was really excited for DeepDown until i heard it was free to play. If you watch the sales pattern in japan, you will see how much more Bloodborne will impact japan way more than DeepDown will. 

I doubt that. Though the overall effect will also depend on their relative release dates

I'm interested in both. Bloodborne seems better for setting/style but gameplay wise (though it's too early to be sure) Deep Down seems to be better

I think Deep Down will be bigger in Japan than Bloodborne. But the latter will be bigger in the west due to f2p prejudice

After enjoying Warframe and PoE so much i have no problems with DD being f2p

I don't think so. PS4 is doing well so it doesn't need many first-party games now. Once it starts tanking Sony would come out with their games almost relentlessly.

ikki5 said:
method114 said:
ikki5 said:
method114 said:
ikki5 said:

yeah but... with what money. Really the PS4 is the only thing doing well for them. The rest are mediocre of tanking and by this time next year, it is hard to see what the PS4 is going to be doing because consoles as a whole are tanking as well.

I don't think you know what the word "tanking" means. Consoles might not be doing as good as they used to (I honestly don't know either way) but they're far from tanking.

um... yeah they are.  With the consoles all reletively new on the market and they are all not doing great now. it is only going to get worse. I'd call that tanking

Xbox one and PS4 are doing better than they did last generation so your only talking about Nintendo which was an anonmally last generation as it is.

The Xbox 360 by this time was selling 80k units a week which is a 20-25% drop about. PS3 had a very rough start so yeah, it is doing better but over all, it is droping quite quickly. Yeah, they had a boom start, but that is not going to last... in fact, it is already crashing. The PS4 is taking longer but it is still crashing.

I'm not going  by weekly numbers that's dumb. Right now the XBox one is doing better than the 360 period. Also the PS4 is doing better than the PS3 so both conosles are doing better than last gen that's far from tanking.

Also losing 20-25% of sales on one console but the other console doing much better means that basically the consoles just switched places from last generation which still means console sales havent tanked your argument is just weak period.

Around the Network
true_fan said:
Sony is struggling financially and Yoshida already said to expect less AAA games on ps4. Yoshida is happy with the indie games, so expect those to be the focus of the console moving forward.

He was talking about the industry as a whole...

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

enditall727 said:

OP

SCE has plenty of studios. Games are just way longer in development these days.

Bend Studio:
New game in development

Evolution Studios:
Driveclub

Guerrilla Cambridge:
New game in development

Guerrilla Games:
New open world game in development

Japan Studio:
Bloodborne (co-development with From Software)
Deep Down (co-development with Capcom)
New games in development

London Studio:
New character action game in development

Media Molecule:
New game in development

Naughty Dog:
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
New game in development
The Last of Us Remastered

Polyphony Digital:
Gran Turismo Next

San Diego Studio:
New game in development
MLB 15: The Show

Santa Monica Studio:
New Cory Barlog game in development
The Order: 1886 (co-development with Ready at Dawn)
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (co-development with The Chinese Room)
Hohokum (co-development with Honeyslug)

Sony Online Entertainment:
PlanetSide 2
EverQuest Next
H1Z1

Sucker Punch:
Infamous First Light

XDev:
LittleBigPlanet 3 (co-development with Sumo Digital)

HEMSTAR said:
I hope we see Qauntic Dream, Media Molecule, Guerrilla Games and Sony London announce their new games at Gamescom. Probably ain't gonna happen though :D

No thanks, the world is a better place without their aweful games.

About the op, too many exclusive in the 

Competition is harsh these days. AAA games are expensive too consumers who are being used to buy cheap indies titles or games on PSN and STEAM sales. The risk of flop is more painful than before with the raising dev costs. In my opinion 3 AAA first party exclusive per year is the right number.  

Sony should buy Sanzaru and get them to work on some platformer franchises! Who's with me on this?

the-pi-guy said:
Raziel123 said:
Heck no. If it were me i'd even cut down a little (starting with Quantic Dream)

Sony doesn't own Quantic Dream.  

I keep forgetting that. Almost feels like they do

Well, then i guess i'd keep it exactly as it is! Not one more and not one less.