By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs more studios BADLY!

Do you think Sony needs more studios?

Yes, they definitely need more studios 131 28.73%

No, they have plenty of studios 225 49.34%

Neither because their stu... 98 21.49%

Total:454
Teeqoz said:

Sony should buy Sanzaru and get them to work on some platformer franchises! Who's with me on this?

Something like Crash, Sly Cooper, ratchet and clank and/or JADexter ? 

I think their enough of it on the market. Plus they hardly catch enough attention to break even. 

Sanzaru are quite good programers but that does not make them good creators at all. So far, all they've done is HD classics. They're good at it, but they showed nothing that could prove that they can do something else with success.  

Around the Network
Sleepyprince said:
Teeqoz said:

Sony should buy Sanzaru and get them to work on some platformer franchises! Who's with me on this?

I think their enough of it on the market. Plus they hardly catch enough attention to break even. 

Sanzaru are quite good programers but that does not make them good creators at all. So far, all they've done is HD classics. They're good at it, but they showed nothing that could prove that they can do something else with success.  

They did make Sly Cooper Thieves in Time (Sly 4) all by themselves, and I think that was a great game, so for me they have proven themselves. Wouldn't be surprised if you haven't heard about it though, as it hardly got any marketing.

Raziel123 said:
the-pi-guy said:
Raziel123 said:
Heck no. If it were me i'd even cut down a little (starting with Quantic Dream)

Sony doesn't own Quantic Dream.  

I keep forgetting that. Almost feels like they do

Well, then i guess i'd keep it exactly as it is! Not one more and not one less.

Quantic Dream is bad, and I'm not trying to be hateful here. They're always saying they try to mature-up video games by introduce hollywood code but damn are they "movie-game" aweful naration and story wise. Try to imagine beyond being a movie released in theatre... I can already see the 15% on Rotten Tomatoes and economic flop. 

Teeqoz said:
Sleepyprince said:
Teeqoz said:

They did make Sly Cooper Thieves in Time (Sly 4) all by themselves, and I think that was a great game, so for me they have proven themselves. Wouldn't be surprised if you haven't heard about it though, as it hardly got any marketing.

Bought it, played through almost all the levels but stopped when you control the ali baba sly. At one moment in arabian level you have to go up in a tower and hack something in order to free or cure a mouse. The hacking bothered me and I did not finish it. You have to use sixaxis to move a ball...

I did forgot Sanzaru made it by themselve though. The game was good but just as good as Sly Cooper 1, nothing ground breaking to me. I enjoyed a lot of it, especially western level I'm not saying it's a bad game. As a fan of sly cooper, I was happy but I can understand mainstream audience could care less it's a way below average ambitious game. 

That's your proof that marketing means little in some case. I am what you would could have called a pure mainstream players, I play Fifa, racing game and some indies gem like Hotline Miami and Fez. And still, I heard about the game and bought it at full price. If the game is good, it will catch attention, no matter the amount of advert you see everywhere. 

Sleepyprince said:
Teeqoz said:

Bought it, played through almost all the levels but stopped when you control the ali baba sly. At one moment in arabian level you have to go up in a tower and hack something in order to free or cure a mouse. The hacking bothered me and I did not finish it. You have to use sixaxis to move a ball...

I did forgot Sanzaru made it by themselve though. The game was good but just as good as Sly Cooper 1, nothing ground breaking to me. I enjoyed a lot of it, especially western level I'm not saying it's a bad game. As a fan of sly cooper, I was happy but I can understand mainstream audience could care less it's a way below average ambitious game. 

That's your proof that marketing means little in some case. I am what you would could have called a pure mainstream players, I play Fifa, racing game and some indies gem like Hotline Miami and Fez. And still, I heard about the game and bought it at full price. If the game is good, it will catch attention, no matter the amount of advert you see everywhere. 

I do believe that if they got some help from Sony Santa Monica ( They are a Sony studio that as well as making God of War, also co-develop a lot of games with other studios) They could make some gems for the PS4.

Around the Network
think-man said:
Games cost way to much these days.

THIS. and unlike microsoft and nintendo, Sony is Supporting their old gen console the PS3 a Handheld The PS VITA and their Current Console The PS4 with exclusives... in other words if they didnt had a handheld and stoped supporting their old console when the new one comes out (just like Nintendo and microsoft) then they would have a LOT of exclusives for the PS4.

PRO TIP never sell your old PS console when the new one comes out, it will get exclusives even 2 or 3 years after the new PS console comes out.

Not every game sells millions of units.

MS and Sony are about equal in 1st party. I give the edge to MS becuase of Halo and Gears, but others prefer ND games. So superior 1st party is subjective.

isn't halo/gears made by completely dif ppl now? I expect the quality of those games to go down imo... I think their last games did....

to the o.p,already been pointed out it costs more/and takes longer to make games,and of course sony cranked out quite a few games in the last 12-18 months of the ps3(before the release of the ps4), also forgot reso-gun

enditall727 said:

I'm not saying that there's anything bad about PSN downloadable games or anything. It's just that.. Nobody is dropping hundreds of dollars of cash to play a downloadable Indie game. A free to play game is in the same boat. Kresnik, be honest, would you buy a brand new $400 dollar PS4 specifically for a free to play game? Even if you look at the sales each week, you will see that nobody is buying a system for a free to play game. 

Nobody bought the system for Untold Legends either.  I was comparing like for like.  An SOE game for an SOE game.

(And to be honest, yeah.  I'm more likely to buy a PS4 because of Planetside 2 than I was to buy a PS3 for Untold Legends.  Planetside 2 looks like a legitimately good game and my PC couldn't run it in a month of Sundays)

I'm still more partial to the PS3's first year but that's just because it's full of the kind of niche stuff that just isn't being made by anyone anymore, period (Ratchet; Heavenly Sword; Folklore etc.)

Also, it's worth pointing out that in your list in the OP:

- 6 of the PS3 games you listed are developed by Sony-owned studios.

- 7 of the PS4 games you listed are developed by Sony-owned studios.

So if anything, their in-house content seems to have gotten better.  It's the lack of partnerships with outside studios that's hurting the exclusives lineup (but Sony are partnering with outside studios, they're just releasing them as downloadable/F2P titles.  Because times have changed.  Hence my point).

sales2099 said:
I remember in 2012 for example PS3 cranked out exclusive after exclusive. Sorcery, Wonderbook, Starhawk, LBP Karting, PS All Stars, Twisted Metal, Tokyo Jungle, R&C: Full Frontal Assault, Killzone HD, R&C Collection, Jak & Daxter Collection,

Most if not all were sales flops. All outsold by Halo 4 alone. GREAT for forum nuts bragging online, but terrible for PS financials. Too much is overkill and they tend to cannibalize each other in the end.

Frankly Sony is smart to take it easy this time around. But fortunately, PS4 can stay #1 on 3rd party multiplats alone.

You want to brag about that lmao. KIllzone HD was never released physically only as a pack that the chartz didn't even track. Tokyo Jungle is of indie game status, R&C:FFA was a spin off, 2 collections of old games, 4 new IPs, two of which were "move" only which was already dead by the time they released.

I could have told you Halo would have outsold those back in 2012, and here we are 2 years later and you're still talking about it. This is probably the 5th time i've seen you talk about it.

Move on you're living in the past brother.

Yes but they pay a lot of money for those "free" ps plus games every month and they are eager to open their arms for those free games like Warframe.

In the end PS4 is still the console with the most games available if you add : 100% free games, PS plus rented games or regular digital/retail games.

During the PS2 and launch PS3 era there wasn't those free and ps plus games. The first year on PS2? Awful.