By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs more studios BADLY!

Do you think Sony needs more studios?

Yes, they definitely need more studios 131 28.73%

No, they have plenty of studios 225 49.34%

Neither because their stu... 98 21.49%

Total:454

Its because they just unloaded almost all thier 1st party studios in an all out assault in 2013.

-GoW Assencion  (Santa Monica)

-The Last of Us  (Naughty Gods)

-Tearaway  (Media Molicule)

-Killzone Mercenary  (Gurila Cambridge)

-Killzone Shadowfall (Gurila Games)

-The Pupatear (Studio Japan)

-Knack  (Studio Japan)

-Beyond Two Souls  (Quantic Dream 2nd party)

-Rachet & clank into the nexus  (Insomniac 2rd party)

-Grand Turismo 6  (Polyphony)

So right now most of thier studios are busy working on thier next games, but these games take time to make.  Most games run on 2-3 year development cycles, and some even take four years like in Naughty Dog's case.  So you just need to be patient for now.  2015 will be a good year, and 2016 will be even better.

Around the Network
enditall727 said:

But you still wouldn't buy it specifically for a free to play game though. Aint nobody buying a console to play a free to play game. At this point in time, anybody who bought a PS4 without a game had to have the most boring experience with the PS4. The only way that probably happens is if the person doesn't have enough money to get a game with it or they just arent interested in the games that were out at the time of their purchase(basically being forced to have to settle for free to play games).

But who buys a console for one specific game anyway?  Without meaning to start a console war, I feel like only Nintendo fans flock to buy a console for one game.  Whereas I feel Sony fans buy consoles for a combination of games coming together.  For example, I bought my Vita once Gravity Rush/LittleBigPlanet/WipEout 2048 were all out.  I bought my PS3 when LittleBigPlanet/WipEout HD Fury/Metal Gear Solid 4 were all out.

So no, Planetside 2 might not be my sole reason for being a PS4.  But it would certainly be a factor in my decision.  And again, you're saying "you wouldn't buy a PS4 for a free to play game" like somehow having SOE offer an incredibly mediocre retail title would be somehow more of a factor?  It wouldn't.  Not at all.

Kresnik said:
enditall727 said:

But you still wouldn't buy it specifically for a free to play game though. Aint nobody buying a console to play a free to play game. At this point in time, anybody who bought a PS4 without a game had to have the most boring experience with the PS4. The only way that probably happens is if the person doesn't have enough money to get a game with it or they just arent interested in the games that were out at the time of their purchase(basically being forced to have to settle for free to play games).

But who buys a console for one specific game anyway?  Without meaning to start a console war, I feel like only Nintendo fans flock to buy a console for one game.  Whereas I feel Sony fans buy consoles for a combination of games coming together.  For example, I bought my Vita once Gravity Rush/LittleBigPlanet/WipEout 2048 were all out.  I bought my PS3 when LittleBigPlanet/WipEout HD Fury/Metal Gear Solid 4 were all out.

So no, Planetside 2 might not be my sole reason for being a PS4.  But it would certainly be a factor in my decision.  And again, you're saying "you wouldn't buy a PS4 for a free to play game" like somehow having SOE offer an incredibly mediocre retail title would be somehow more of a factor?  It wouldn't.  Not at all.

This is also my issue with this thread. So a f2p or downloadable title that is awesome means nothing. But a mediocre "big" retail game that might suck is okay because it is retail? PS4 has a nice varity of games to play right now. With LOTS coming next yer from the looks of it. They were VERY smart this time around if you ask me. They made some good exclusive content with 3rd parties. Dropped some nice exclusives but not too many because 3rd party support would fill the wholes.

It is annoying that we have not even hit a full 1yr with the PS4 and already the games complaint is out. I could undertand if this was teh fall of next year and this was the case but it's not. People are just jumping the gun and to even compare the PS4 to the PS2 is crazy seeing as at that time NOTHING was touching the PS2, Games cost WAY less then, Sony was in MUCH better shape finacially and was just in stride. With the PS3 they were even in better shape because they had all the profit from the PS2 to work with. They don't have all of those luxuries with the PS4 so they have to play it smarter and that's what they are doing.

Sony has an EXCELLENT track record for bringing something fo reveryone to their consoles. So for me with not evein being a year in I say just wait and make this argument next year.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Kresnik said:
enditall727 said:

I know where you're going with that and i see what you mean but i personally know of people who buy PlayStations SPECIFICALLY for Gran  only. They literally dont even get any other games.. Just Gran Turismo. There were even schools who buy PlayStations SPECIFICALLY for Gran Turismo. I know people who also buy Playstations for Final Fantasy.

I had a friend/associate who had and played nothing but Xbox 360 with his older brother and Dad. He had Halo 3, Lost Planet, COD and some other game. So me and a couple friends went to his house and we seen that he had bought a PS3 and he had the new God Of War 3( it was like 2 weeks after GOW3 came out). He had bought a PS3 SPECIFICALLY for God of war 3. He never really bought any other games from what i remember. He had told me a few weeks later that he was looking at this game called inFamous and that he was probably going to get it but i never went back to his house to see if he had ever got it.

I know LOADS of people who buy consoles just for Grand Theft Auto. They usually end up only getting like 2 more games down the line(like Madden and maybe a COD)

I know TOO many people who buy systems for 1 game but eventually pick up more later on.

I'm more of the type to wait for multiple games to be in the library before diving in, like you pretty much said. The only game i might force me to get a sytsem early is maybe Final Fantasy( if it looked good like FF7, 8, 9 or even 10).

But i'll probably NEVER IN LIFE run into an individual who bought a system for a free to play game.

Also, i'm not saying that PlanetSide 2 is bad or anything. It's just rendered irrelevant due to being free to play. 

enditall727 said:

I know where you're going with that and i see what you mean but i personally know of people who buy PlayStations SPECIFICALLY for Gran  only. They literally dont even get any other games.. Just Gran Turismo. There were even schools who buy PlayStations SPECIFICALLY for Gran Turismo. I know people who also buy Playstations for Final Fantasy.

I had a friend/associate who had and played nothing but Xbox 360 with his older brother and Dad. He had Halo 3, Lost Planet, COD and some other game. So me and a couple friends went to his house and we seen that he had bought a PS3 and he had the new God Of War 3( it was like 2 weeks after GOW3 came out). He had bought a PS3 SPECIFICALLY for God of war 3. He never really bought any other games from what i remember. He had told me a few weeks later that he was looking at this game called inFamous and that he was probably going to get it but i never went back to his house to see if he had ever got it.

I know LOADS of people who buy consoles just for Grand Theft Auto. They usually end up only getting like 2 more games down the line(like Madden and maybe a COD)

I know TOO many people who buy systems for 1 game but eventually pick up more later on.

I'm more of the type to wait for multiple games to be in the library before diving in, like you pretty much said. The only game i might force me to get a sytsem early is maybe Final Fantasy( if it looked good like FF7, 8, 9 or even 10).

But i'll probably NEVER IN LIFE run into an individual who bought a system for a free to play game.

Also, i'm not saying that PlanetSide 2 is bad or anything. It's just rendered irrelevant due to being free to play. 

dude.. just to comment, but I see you nitpicking f2p as the reason people wouldn't buy a system.  that's fine and all, most wouldn't buy a new console for a free to play game.. buy the system for whatever game you want, whether it's for one game or multiple games.. but the great thing about f2p games is just what it is.. free to play games. you can add a f2p game and it wouldn't hurt your intentions of buying the system in the first place because of another game.  it's another title free for you and whether its your thing or not, is up to your tastes.  seriously.. we know there will be those retail/downloadable titles that will always be the reason why people buy a system.. but to think a f2p game will hurt the outlook of a console especially when it's free?  it's almost like the complaint is.. "omg.. a f2p game.. is that all the ps4 has?".. no it isn't.. it just complements whatever else will be coming to the system.  buying the ps4 for infamous, uncharted4, the last of us, destiny, etc?  awesome!  well.. you can also download ps2, hzn1, war thunder, warframe, etc.. and guess what?  it didn't cost you a dime.. and know what else? you might actually enjoy them.  it's not like the ps4 is centerd on f2p only now.. it just also gives you those optional titles that you can enjoy along with the games you do buy.  so what is the complaint actually?

it's almost like the mobile market with ios and android.  its as if downloading a free game as opposed to buying a game is a bad thing.. yet especially in the mobile market, a majority of of the "free" games are the most downloaded and also end up generating the most revenue..

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Around the Network

I am not sure that Sony is financially in any position to open new studios, whether they need them or not.

A complete list of Sony's studios and their titles, from my video game study documents
(note that this may not be up to date, and some minor or old titles may be missing, feel free to add them)

ASIA

• SCE Japan Studio : LocoRoco serie, Patapon serie, Echochrome serie, Ape Escape serie, The Eye of the Judgment serie, Knack, Legend of Dragoon, Puppeteer

- Team Ico: Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, the Last Guardian

- Project Siren : Forbidden Siren serie, Gravity Rush serie

- Playstation C.A.M.P.: Tokyo Jungle, Rain

- J.S.E.D.D.: Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wards

• Polyphony Digital : Gran Turismo serie

• From Software (third party) : King's Field serie Shadow Tower serie, Evergrace serie, Armored Core serie, Demon Souls serie, Bloodborne

NORTH AMERICA

• NaughtyDog : Crash Bandicoot serie, Jak & Daxter serie, Uncharted serie, The Last of Us

• Santa Monica Studio : God of War serie, Playstation All-Star Battle, Soundshapes, Kinetica

• Sucker Punch : Sly Cooper serie, InFamous serie

• SCE San Diego: The Mark of Kri, ModNation Racers serie, MLB: The Show serie

• Ready At Dawn (second party): The Order 1886

• Insomniac (until 2010) : Spyro serie, Ratchet & Clank serie, Resistance serie

• Eidetic (until 2001 - defunct) / SCE Bend Studio: Syphon Filter serie, Uncharted PSP serie

• ThatGameCompany (second party) : Flow, Flower, Journey

• Giant Sparrow : The Unfinished Swan, Edith Finch

• HoneySlut: Frobisher Says!, Hohokum

• Pixel Opus: Entwined

• Titan Studios: Fat Princess serie

• NanaOn-Cha: PaRappa The Rapper serie, Vib-Ribbon serie

• Idol Minds: Cool Boarders serie, Pain, Neopets: The Darkest Faerie

• Zipper Interactive (2002 to 2012 - defunct): SOCOM serie

• Incognito Entertainment (until 2009 - defunct) / Eat Sleap Play: Twisted Metal serie, Warhawk serie

EUROPE

• Quantic Dream (second party) : Omnikron, Farenheit, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls

• Guerilla Games: Killzone serie

- Guerrilla Cambridge : Medievil serie

• MediaMolecule : LittleBigPlanet serie, Tearaway

• Evolution Studio : WRC serie, Motorstorm serie, DriveClub

• SCE London Studio: EyeToy games, Singstar serie, Wonderbook games, Playroom

• SCE Liverpool Studio (until 2012 - defunct) : Formula One serie, Wipeout serie

So I would say: No, Sony is not missing studios, neither franchises. They're missing either the budget or are being greedy to finance projects. Pretty much like Nintendo.

Sony doesn't need more studios, they already have many of them and they're almost all good.

Hey don't click here ! It's creepy !!

I want a PlayStation All-Stars Sequel ! Come on Sony, stop making too many shooters !

I'll make a better signature when I'll have time to do it...