By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs more studios BADLY!

Do you think Sony needs more studios?

Yes, they definitely need more studios 131 28.73%

No, they have plenty of studios 225 49.34%

Neither because their stu... 98 21.49%

Total:454
fatslob-:O said:

Having more studios don't mean much if it'll do nothing but make losses in the end ... What Sony and as well as the others need are more quality developers that will actually deliver to the audience.

Call me crazy but having 1 great game is better than having 10 average ones and in that respect I commend Microsoft more than Sony for their last generation efforts in this regard. Not to say that Sony doesn't have good games but Microsoft was better in that aspect from last generation because they focused more on quality of their games than Sony did.

Sony doesn't need more Crytek esque studios like Guerrilla Games or Zipper Interactive but rather they need something on the lines of Naughty Dog like Rocksteady Studios, Bungie, Rockstar, and 343 industries. I feel they don't have enough of those quality studios and the same thing goes for Microsoft and Nintendo.

Ratchet ACiT, ToD, Nexus, and Q4B; Uncharted 1-3, Killzone 2, GoW 3 and Ascesion, Infamous 1 and 2, Resistance 3, Puppeteer, Sly 4, Twisted Metal, Heavy Rain, Beyond, Flower, and Journey are exclusives I've kept in my permanent collection because they're QUALITY.  The ones that I would keep were I a 360 owner (because I've played all their big name exclusive through for the most part) are Halo 3 and 4, Gears 1-3, Fable 2, L4D 1 and 2, and maybe a Forza.

That's 20 vs. 9 in terms of quality and I was pretty inclusive with my MS list even counting a racer I'll probably never get.  Does Xbox have preferred exclusives for many people?  Yes, but not everyone.  Most people agree at this point that Sony's marketing hurts their sales badly for many of their mid-tier games like Puppeteer and Sly 4.  Did you see a single commercial for those games?  Why was Puppeteer released a week before GTA5?  These are the kind of things that really hurt their games and many of them appear on Plus which cuts off the legs like Infamous 2.  So you can't use simple sales especially Sony delivers so many that it makes their sales more spread out.  Their quality is fine and given how many people have never HEARD of half the games I mentioned for the Sony side their problem is obviously bad PR because once though people got a taste many of them ended up buying those same games.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Then theres the fact that their developers are also making vita games.

there isnt a "game genie" they can wish and a game be made. it takes time, 2015 it will show, plus they still have some unannounced ips.

OttoniBastos said:
If sony needs more studios "badly",vwhat is MS situation?

They've opened up over a dozen studios over the last couple of years. MS will be fine. 

Richard_Feynman said:
Terrible analysis.

The whole market has changed. When PS2 launched there were 3rd parties making exclusive games simply because there was nothing else to release them on. The parity between PS4 and X1 is unprecedented in the history of (3d) consoles - it's too easy to make multiplats to ignore. And as some have mentioned, games cost HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of dollars. They are MUCH MUCH more expensive to make and hence there is a much larger risk involved when publishing a game - doing so on multiple platforms decreases this risk.

As I said, terrible analysis.

I agree with this pretty much. There are SO many differences and factors that have changed from then compared to now. This is kind of a very silly comparision that doesn't really make much sense to me to be honest. Games cost way more to develop now, a lot of those games were 3rd party exclusives, quantity does not equal quality, you left out that the online aspect is huge now so indie/f2p/downlaodable titles play a much bigger role now.....there are way to many holes in the thought process of the OP on this one,

No disrepect or anything because it is still your opinion but looking at how things and times have changed I just can't agree with this at all.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network

First, your title is incorrect. Plenty of studios, but the exclusive from those studios are delayed into 2015-2016.

Second, with all the big multiplat games and the PS4 being the more powerful system, I am not to sure that exclusives are as important this gen. Watchdogs proved that....

They dont really need more studios, they just need more money.
More money means more games made, but at the moment Sony is still recuperating its losses.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

It's a joke? Sony is the first party with more development teams so far. This thread sounds like politics against Sony, playing with dates and facts. Sony didn't develop many games in early PS3 life because of its hard difficult arquitecture. Final years for PS3 there was a lot of first party exclusives. First year of PS4 has only three mayor exclusives made by Sony studios (Killzone: Shadow Fall, InFamous: Second Son, and Driveclub) because Sony didn't kill PS3, but now many titles were confirmed for this year and 2015 like The Order: 1886, Uncharted 4, Gran Turismo 7, ABZÛ, and projects by Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Japan Studio, London Studio, and Media Molecule, all confirmed, in addition with other confirmed exclusive games from third parties produced by Sony (who keeps the rights) like RiME, Bloodborne or Shadow of the Beast. And remastered games like The Last of Us o Ratchet and Clank. I insist. All exclusive. Real exclusive.

Sony is struggling financially and Yoshida already said to expect less AAA games on ps4. Yoshida is happy with the indie games, so expect those to be the focus of the console moving forward.

The problem with more exclusive games like that, is they just don't sell as much as they should. In the last 4-5 years Sony knocked it out of the park for PS3 with a lot of exclusive games. Quite a few of them flopped. Mixed in with the 3rd party release dates, there just isn;t enough consumer cash around when people only buy the same titles every year.