By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Has Sony abandoned Japan?

More like Japan abandoned Sony. And Nintendo. And home consoles.

Around the Network
Aerys said:
Totally untrue, first, PS3 hadnt more Sony Japan support, at the contrary since Japan Studios were in very bad shape, second, its not clever to judge that when Sony Japan is getting better ans didnt announce Their game, except Bloodborne , which is already more than PS3 from Sony

And pray tell me, what PS3 Japanese game came near the caliber of Legend of Dragoon, ICO, Shadow of Collosus, or Rogue Galaxy? Exactly. They just don't have good Japanese games. A bunch of mediocre ones do nothing.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Huh?

For the Vita, Sony has backed projects like Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, and Oreshika. With the PS4, we know that they're co-developing Deep Down, Bloodborne, and at least one more.

They're using a different model than in the west, sure, but even in the west, Sony has a long history of co-developing games with third-party studios. That's not abandonment.

Personally, I think this gen will see less wholly owned studios and more contracted development situations. Both Nintendo and Microsoft are doing the same.

VanceIX said:

Sony, in previous generations, came guns blazing in Japan with Playstation designed for Japan first and the rest of the world second. Now, there are very few first-party Japanese titles from Sony compared to the PS1/PS2/eary-life-PS3. This has lead to abysmal performance for the PS4 in Japan, and it is doubtful that the PS4 will come anywhere near the success that the other consoles did.

Hell, they even jumped ship on the Vita, which is doing relatively well in Japan. Sure, we have Freedom Wars coming, but very little from Sony past that. They just don't care about the Japanese market. They focus completely on western games, most of which are your copy-and-paste Zombie or shooter or zombie shooter, with little to no JRPGs and other Japanese games that they built their legacy on.

You may say that the Japanese market doesn't care about home consoles, which may be true. However, there isn't much there for them to care about. Little games dedicated towards the Japanese market at launch, with a bleak outlook for the next year as well. 

Sony really messed up in Japan.

Sony didn't mess up Japan, Japan messed up Sony.  Sony's early life with the PS3 was a japanese nightmare with all those 360 exclusives and Wii titles...

VanceIX said:
Mike_L said:

They're just late with quality exclusives that appeal to the common Japanese gamer. PS4 doesn't have the Japanese blockbusters yet like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Kingdom Hearts, One Piece, Hot Shots Golf, Dragon's Dogma, Tales of game, Souls game, the popular JRPGS, etc.

When these games start coming I'm sure the PS4 sales numbers in Japan will improve. Wait til after TGS to conclude whether Sony has abandoned Japan.

Most of those games are third-party. Sony themselves haven't bothered to take the initiative and release good first-party Japanese launch titles to help the PS4. And don't even mention Knack.

Then Sony abandoned Japan a long time ago. For a long time the only 1st party titles selling big numbers in Japan have been Gran Turismo and Hot Shots Golf. With Bloodborne, Deep Down, a new Gran Turismo and some few quality JRPGs that's already more 1st party big sellers than ever in PS3's life so I wouldn't say that Sony abandoned Japan.

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
It was Sony's fault that home consoles died quickly in Japan. PS3 was overpriced; despite being sold at loss. People and developers were reluctant to abandon PS2. They stuck with PS2 for a long time. Eventually they got fed up. It damaged developers and they were struggling in the HD era. Now people like to play handheld and mobile.

Wow so much this i cant handel it! though also i think the culture help overpupolarise phone gaming.

VanceIX said:
TheDarkTriforce said:
Japan has abandoned Sony ;)

Because Sony abandoned Japan. The PS3 was selling just fine in Japan, as was the Vita, but now Sony just doesn't develop Japanese games. I completely understand their frustrations with Sony.

Are you unfamiliar with the recently released 1st party Vita titles + those still in development. SCEJ has supported the Vita very well.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I don't think Japan 'abandoned' Sony, just like I don''t think Sony abandoned Japan. What I do think is that this thread is premature; The fact of the matter is that 2014 is unprecedented, and new obstacles must be overcome in an ever changing landscape. This generation that simply means pulling focus away from Japan and winning back the US where we will generate more sales than Japan could ever hope to; With that being said I don't think Sony will EVER abandon its home country. They have, with literally every generation of their consoles, delivered on the games front across the widest genre known within our industry. I am extremely confident that this generation will be even better than last and there will be TONS of japanese titles released.

I also don't consider Japan a dead market in regardes to the home console space; Rather, their interest just needs to be piqued.

VanceIX said:
Aerys said:
Totally untrue, first, PS3 hadnt more Sony Japan support, at the contrary since Japan Studios were in very bad shape, second, its not clever to judge that when Sony Japan is getting better ans didnt announce Their game, except Bloodborne , which is already more than PS3 from Sony

And pray tell me, what PS3 Japanese game came near the caliber of Legend of Dragoon, ICO, Shadow of Collosus, or Rogue Galaxy? Exactly. They just don't have good Japanese games. A bunch of mediocre ones do nothing.

You told PS3, i show you Its untrue for PS3 ( and i see others already show´you its untrue about vita, at the contrary, sony develop more japan games than on Psp since they havé to support it )ADN why PS3 had less games from Japan studios ADN why it CAN Only be better for ps4 SO let them somme time Before making pointless judgement baséd on 6 months.

And i didnt Know PS2 released all thèse games the first year... You dont understand how meaningless is your thread made 6 months after the beginning of the New generation? You compare 8 years of PS2 with 6 months of ps4...You could start to judge the generation in 3 years . Now, Thérèse is just nô reason to do that

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

It seems as though, outside of a few small examples, only Nintendo cares about their home country anymore. Games like Tomodachi Life are a testament to this. What other Japanese developer would release something like that to the west? I know it isn't a "console" game, but it's a dedicated cart for a dedicated device.

Nintendo are going to end up holding the beacon for all of a Japan pretty soon.