By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U has Highest Rated Exclusives, No Signs of Slowing Down

radha said:

Is also 1 year older, what it does have is very little potential with no third parties supporting it, at the end of its life its entire game catalog might be the smallest in nintendo's history

No, it's very hard for the WiiU to become that. If we count the Eshop exclusives and the regular games and expect that number to grow (around 267 games) the console will surpass the N64 library (395 games). And if you don't think it will surpas the N64 library, there is always the Virtualboy with its massive 21 games.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
snowdog said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Pristine20 said:
I'm not sure why this topic is even relevant. A game being polished doesn't make you want to play it. Skyrim was unpolished vs say Uncharted but I'd rather play the former. This just seems like ammo for console wars, not something that's meaningful to those actually looking for consoles to buy.

Skyrim isn't unpollished, its just really buggy. We just allow it because its a technical masterpiece.

Skyrim isn't unpolished, it's just really buggy..? You do realise how ridiculous a statement that is, right..? What on earth do you think the term 'polish' means lmfao

A semantical argument about the meaning of defintions is pointless, polish was never defined as being free from bugs, irregardless of that the game has a lot of content which would usually be reffered to as polished, with a game as large and technologically advanced as Skyrim, being buggy doesnt mean its not unpolished.

No semantics involved at all. A game that is said to be 'polished' cannot, by definition, be 'really buggy' whatever genre it is. Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii is a polished game, and Xenoblade Chronicles X will be a polished game. Skyrim is not a polished game by any stretch of the imagination, same goes for Oblivion before it.

I'm a big fan of the Elder Scrolls franchise and have been since it started with the very first game.

The worst thing to happen to gaming was the popularity of the internet in the average home. This allowed publishers in the 7th generation to release unpolished games and allowed them to patch the bugs at a later date.

Whether you believe that Nintendo are the best in the business or not, one fact that remains is that their games rarely crash and rarely need patches...they're more polished at launch compared to other games from other publishers.

snowdog said:

No semantics involved at all.

Any argument regarding the definition of a term is semantical, by the defintion of semantic.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/semantical

se·man·tic

[si-man-tik] http://static.sfdict.com/en/i/dictionary/newserp/Sprite_New.png) -176px -215px repeat scroll transparent;" href="http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html"> Show IPA
adjective
of, pertaining to, or arising from the different meanings of words or other symbols: semantic change;semantic confusion.

A game that is said to be 'polished' cannot, by definition,

An arbitrary definition that you believe to be commonplace, the fact that I disagreed with it in the first place means that its not common knowledge.

be 'really buggy' whatever genre it is. Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii is a polished game, and Xenoblade Chronicles X will be a polished game. Skyrim is not a polished game by any stretch of the imagination, same goes for Oblivion before it

I'm a big fan of the Elder Scrolls franchise and have been since it started with the very first game.

The worst thing to happen to gaming was the popularity of the internet in the average home. This allowed publishers in the 7th generation to release unpolished games and allowed them to patch the bugs at a later date.

Whether you believe that Nintendo are the best in the business or not, one fact that remains is that their games rarely crash and rarely need patches...they're more polished at launch compared to other games from other publishers.

All of this is completely irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not Skyrim is unpollished and what pollish means. Any opinions or personal prefrences here are completely irrelevant.

Here is the definition of pollish via google

pol·ished
ˈpäliSHt/
adjective
adjective: polished
  1. shiny as a result of being rubbed.
    "a polished mahogany table"
    synonyms: shinyglossy, gleaming, lustrousglassyMore
    antonyms: dull, tarnished

You understand the term pollish as including being bugfree, I don't share that understanding especially since the bugs in Skyrim are usually technical incompatibilities rather than lack of completeness or poor skill.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Congrats *claps hands*  WiiU has the highest rated exclusives being out for 19 months with 2 holidays while Xbox One and PS4 has been out for 7 months and 1 holiday.  That is a real accomplishment.  Good job Nintendo 

Samus Aran said:
radha said:
Samus Aran said:
radha said:
sundin13 said:
radha said:

Exactly, and this is the reason why i dont buy a Wii U myself, i like Metroid and zelda a lot, but not enought to skip everything else and i cant justify buying 2 console, and less when one if for playing only nintendo games.

I'm pretty much the opposite...I like multiplats like Batman and GTA, but not enough to skip Nintendo games, and I can't justify buying two consoles just for a few Multiplat games. Thats the wonderful thing about Nintendo...they do things that not many other companies do, and they offer an experience that you can only get on their consoles. It all depends what side you enjoy more, but either way, if you have two consoles, the Wii U practically needs to be one of them. 

Yes but with the other companies's exclusives and the third party is a wide range of experiences, with nintendo is like only being able to watch disney channel, nintendo has nothing like dark souls, uncharted, Grand theft auto, etc, there are a million options. I understand that in your case you just like nintewndo too much, but the truth is that nintendo games are very thin/empty, they have no stories, no character depth, no real customization or personalizatio of the character, and are missing many more things.

Wii U is a very hard sell, regardless of the current exclusives. As a comparison: disney/pixar movies are some of the best but it would be a hard sell if you tell someone that that is all they are going to see for the next 5 or so years.

The only story I really enjoyed in a video game was Metroid Prime 2. You had to discover it yourself by finding and reading all the scanlogs. Most video game stories range from horrible to ok/decent. 

Nintendo has a wide variety of genres: 

Turn based RPG: Pokémon, Earthbound, Paper Mario

Action RPG: Xenoblade, Paper Mario

Strategy RPG: Fire Emblem

Platformer: Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong

Exploration/adventure: Zelda, Metroid

Fighter: Super Smash Bros., Punch-Out! 

Racing: Mario Kart, F-Zero

Rail-shooter: Star Fox

Third Person Shooter: Splatoon

Life simulator: Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Life

Party games: Mario Party, Wii Party

You just reminded me the very few options they have, and you should try out more video game "You had to discover it yourself by finding and reading all the scanlogs" this is done in the Souls game, the Bioshock games and others.  But your variety list made me sad, look

So this reminds me, the last FF on a nintendo console was FF 6, there are not Tales games on nintendo console ins Tales of Phantasia, Where is mario Rpg?, No start ocean, no fantasy start... I so sad.

This reminded me, there are no GTA in nindento console, that alone is terrible, but also no Castlevania, they missed SoTN for no real reason.

Tekken?, Souls Caliber?, Street Figther? Guilty gear? Mortal kombar? wow that is depresive.

Im not combince F-Zero counts, when was the last F-Zero released? in any case, this reminds me, there are no real cars simulators, and we fall again to the disney Theme, nintendo is great if you are willing to only watch disney channel for that console life cycle.

Is Rail-shooter a genre? and is that a good thing? I cant put a list of all the shooters missing in nintendo consoles since the SNES I would need a year or so.

About the last 3 genres, I dont even know what to say, life-simulator, really?

Well you just proved 2 things, 1) nintendo only console owners are missing out a LOT, and 2) you havent played many video games, becuase you think that nintendo games have good story.  

How did mario end up in moshroom kingdom?

Why are there so few humans in moshroom kingdom?

What does Bowser wins from kipnapping peach?

Why does mario ware such unfitting clothing every where, even in space?

Metriod got a recent story recently and it seems like fans hate it

Donkey Kong, not the most in depth character in gaming really.

Star Fox, I always wonder why do you come into action when the galaxy has already been taken overe, but i have never seen why.

F-Zeron, I'll let you post the story for that game, I hope is in the audio logs.

Zelda, link is mute, and dialogs with him from NPCs are short, and Gannon kipnaps zelda, but never kills her, what does ganon wins? 

Conclusion, this is all acceptable it you are 12 years old and under, that is why i think the hi priase for nintendo games this days is based on gameplay and nostagia.

You do realize I was only listing exclusive games right? Lol. 

Name me one company with a bigger variety of genres. And please don't glorify Rockstar, the only thing they're capable of making is repetive sandbox games. Good quality sandbox games for sure, but I'd rather see them try a different genre. GTA games bore me after a while. 

Exactly, you missed the point, nintendo is EXCLUDED!, everything is exclusive to all other competing platforms since they have no third party support, nintendo is EXCLUDED that is the problem!!!!!!. I can forget about rocks star, but then I also need to forget about metal gear, because that is not in a nintendo console since the gamecube, and forget about, ace combat, and real online, but why ?????

Note that im not trying to convince you that nintendo make bad games or anything, im just trying to show the logic behind not buying a nintendo console in the current state of things, if one does buy one now,  is like becoming a vegan, you have a very small set of options! some are very good, but most of the time is the same thing over and over, and there is nothing else outside of that.

Sorry for the typos, when am at work I try to type fast and end up with many many typos.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
radha said:

Is also 1 year older, what it does have is very little potential with no third parties supporting it, at the end of its life its entire game catalog might be the smallest in nintendo's history

No, it's very hard for the WiiU to become that. If we count the Eshop exclusives and the regular games and expect that number to grow (around 267 games) the console will surpass the N64 library (395 games). And if you don't think it will surpas the N64 library, there is always the Virtualboy with its massive 21 games.

Why are you counting the backwards catalog? I dont get it, we are trying to justify buying a Wii U how does the N64 catalog helps? does the Eshop offers new exclusive games? 

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

radha said:
Darwinianevolution said:
radha said:

Why are you counting the backwards catalog? I dont get it, we are trying to justify buying a Wii U how does the N64 catalog helps? does the Eshop offers new exclusive games? 

I'm refering only to the games on the Eshop, not the ones on the virtual console. Indies and digital-only also count as part of the library.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

radha said:
Samus Aran said:
radha said:
Samus Aran said:
radha said:
sundin13 said:
radha said:

Exactly, and this is the reason why i dont buy a Wii U myself, i like Metroid and zelda a lot, but not enought to skip everything else and i cant justify buying 2 console, and less when one if for playing only nintendo games.

I'm pretty much the opposite...I like multiplats like Batman and GTA, but not enough to skip Nintendo games, and I can't justify buying two consoles just for a few Multiplat games. Thats the wonderful thing about Nintendo...they do things that not many other companies do, and they offer an experience that you can only get on their consoles. It all depends what side you enjoy more, but either way, if you have two consoles, the Wii U practically needs to be one of them. 

Yes but with the other companies's exclusives and the third party is a wide range of experiences, with nintendo is like only being able to watch disney channel, nintendo has nothing like dark souls, uncharted, Grand theft auto, etc, there are a million options. I understand that in your case you just like nintewndo too much, but the truth is that nintendo games are very thin/empty, they have no stories, no character depth, no real customization or personalizatio of the character, and are missing many more things.

Wii U is a very hard sell, regardless of the current exclusives. As a comparison: disney/pixar movies are some of the best but it would be a hard sell if you tell someone that that is all they are going to see for the next 5 or so years.

The only story I really enjoyed in a video game was Metroid Prime 2. You had to discover it yourself by finding and reading all the scanlogs. Most video game stories range from horrible to ok/decent. 

Nintendo has a wide variety of genres: 

Action RPG: Xenoblade, Paper Mario

Strategy RPG: Fire Emblem

Platformer: Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, Donkey Kong

Third Person Shooter: Splatoon

Life simulator: Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Life

Party games: Mario Party, Wii Party

You just reminded me the very few options they have, and you should try out more video game "You had to discover it yourself by finding and reading all the scanlogs" this is done in the Souls game, the Bioshock games and others.  But your variety list made me sad, look

So this reminds me, the last FF on a nintendo console was FF 6, there are not Tales games on nintendo console ins Tales of Phantasia, Where is mario Rpg?, No start ocean, no fantasy start... I so sad.

This reminded me, there are no GTA in nindento console, that alone is terrible, but also no Castlevania, they missed SoTN for no real reason.

Tekken?, Souls Caliber?, Street Figther? Guilty gear? Mortal kombar? wow that is depresive.

Im not combince F-Zero counts, when was the last F-Zero released? in any case, this reminds me, there are no real cars simulators, and we fall again to the disney Theme, nintendo is great if you are willing to only watch disney channel for that console life cycle.

Is Rail-shooter a genre? and is that a good thing? I cant put a list of all the shooters missing in nintendo consoles since the SNES I would need a year or so.

About the last 3 genres, I dont even know what to say, life-simulator, really?

Well you just proved 2 things, 1) nintendo only console owners are missing out a LOT, and 2) you havent played many video games, becuase you think that nintendo games have good story.  

How did mario end up in moshroom kingdom?

Why are there so few humans in moshroom kingdom?

What does Bowser wins from kipnapping peach?

Why does mario ware such unfitting clothing every where, even in space?

Metriod got a recent story recently and it seems like fans hate it

Donkey Kong, not the most in depth character in gaming really.

Star Fox, I always wonder why do you come into action when the galaxy has already been taken overe, but i have never seen why.

F-Zeron, I'll let you post the story for that game, I hope is in the audio logs.

Zelda, link is mute, and dialogs with him from NPCs are short, and Gannon kipnaps zelda, but never kills her, what does ganon wins? 

Conclusion, this is all acceptable it you are 12 years old and under, that is why i think the hi priase for nintendo games this days is based on gameplay and nostagia.

You do realize I was only listing exclusive games right? Lol. 

Name me one company with a bigger variety of genres. And please don't glorify Rockstar, the only thing they're capable of making is repetive sandbox games. Good quality sandbox games for sure, but I'd rather see them try a different genre. GTA games bore me after a while. 

Exactly, you missed the point, nintendo is EXCLUDED!, everything is exclusive to all other competing platforms since they have no third party support, nintendo is EXCLUDED that is the problem!!!!!!. I can forget about rocks star, but then I also need to forget about metal gear, because that is not in a nintendo console since the gamecube, and forget about, ace combat, and real online, but why ?????

Note that im not trying to convince you that nintendo make bad games or anything, im just trying to show the logic behind not buying a nintendo console in the current state of things, if one does buy one now,  is like becoming a vegan, you have a very small set of options! some are very good, but most of the time is the same thing over and over, and there is nothing else outside of that.

Sorry for the typos, when am at work I try to type fast and end up with many many typos.

I don't care for multiplat games. If I want to play third party games I just buy them on the PC. Consoles are useless for me unless they have good exclusive games. PC market generates more money already than the console market, it's not niche at all. Of course this also includes profits from MMORPGS, MOBA, etc. 

I played some PS3 games with my friend yesterday and also checked out their online browser. God it was horrible! Nintendo's online is much much better. I never lag on Mario Kart 8 and have no problem getting into a match. Everything is very quick and easy. Already looking forward to play Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon online. The only negative thing about Nintendo's online that I noticed is the lack of voice chat/cross-game chat in their games. I don't care for talking to strangers, but it would be nice if friends could chat together while gaming. 

While I'm sure Metal Gear Solid is a fine franchise (only played an old MGS game back when I was a kid on the PC and liked it a lot), it's not enough for me to buy the PS4/XBONE. 

Nintendo as a company has a wider variety of genres than anyone else. Their games are so good people just don't care for third party games anymore, this was very apparent with the Wii. It had the biggest userbase, but most third party games didn't sell well. Of course this also means their userbase will be the smallest of the three unless they can bring in a totally new group of gamers (the "casuals" last gen). I don't really care much about that though because I've already gotten 3 free games from Nintendo this gen. Last gen there were no such generous actions because the Wii was already selling like hotcakes without resorting to such tactics.