By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft could benefit from purchasing both Crytek & Capcom

Per the Purenews  article:

With the recent news that both Crytek & Capcom could be at the brink (or be already) of financial issues, many fans are wondering who could buy the companies or  the IP’s.

One of the names that is thrown out most, is Microsoft. Not only to it’s needs to add more first party studios to the pool of studios that already have but also to make sure they could get the edge on the Japanese market by purchasing Capcom.

But let’s start with Crytek and then we’ll talk about Capcom shall we?

Would Microsoft benefit a lot from purchasing Crytek itself? Yes, not only because of the games IP but because of the Cry Engine itself.

First of all the Cry Engine would be the most important part of Crytek, if Microsoft had the Cry Engine property themselves they could allow first party developers to have access to the engine free of charge plus it could be a great deal for ID@Xbox developers to join in the program and get free access to the CryEngine.

The Cry Engine subscription services would also provide profit for the company if the prices and services attached to it could be adjust to make it easy for those wishing to buy the license of the engine.

In theory just for the engine itself is already worth buying the company but what about it’s games? Microsoft could accomplish on getting Homefront to become a exclusive to the console. (after Homefront: Revolution or even in this game)

They could even continue or reboot the Crysis franchises, making it exclusive to PC & Xbox. Alongside Crysis and Homefront, there’s a very important IP on the list.. Timesplitters who would definitely bring gamers to the Xbox One.

I could continue explaining on how Crytek would be a benefit for Microsoft but so far the reasons stated above already seem interesting enough, I could even mention Warface as a Xbox One free to play game as well.

But let’s talk about how Capcom would help Microsoft to capture the Japanese Market shall we?

Even though Microsoft is improving the way they deal with the Japanese Market, they’re still missing a important piece which is Japanese developers and it’s games.

Scalebound is a Japanese game from Platinum Games and it looks great no doubt, but so far it seems that it’s a bit far away. By purchasing Capcom not only they could secure IP’s such as Resident Evil & Dead Rising but bring to the Japanese market games done by Japanese developers, games that the Japanese market wants.

The Monster Hunter franchise seems to be popular worlwide isn’t it? Imagine if Microsoft manage to grab the IP.

By being exclusive games to the Xbox One it would help the sales and reputation of the company in the country, it would also improve relationship with the developers there and fans from the West would benefit by having more Japanese games.

Capcom purchase seems to be a win to win to both Microsoft and the fans in the west, as well the improvement of the Xbox brand in Japan.

Contrary to what most people, Microsoft could indeed buy a Japanese company and this would give Microsoft the necessary edge they definitely need in Japan right now.

Source : http://purenews.net/microsoft-benefit-purchasing-crytek-capcom/

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

I agree the more the better they have the money for it

Azerth said:
I agree the more the better they have the money for it

Yup, they have the money to overpay for studios by hundreds of millions just for a handful of good ips. Investors will love that

Why stop there? Square Enix, Nintendo, Sony, Sega, there is no limit here.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

i'm sure they'd see benefits but the costs would be more.

Around the Network

Yeah, I'm sure that nothing could go wrong with making games like MH or Resident Evil Xbox exclusive...

When will people finally stop asking for one of the console manufacturers to buy Capcom?

Why get one dangerously bloated, visionless shambles of a company when you can get two for the price of two?!

I totally disagree with them purchasing either company!

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Yes, Microsoft could benefit but Microsoft also couldn't. We have to be honest: There are often reasons why developers or firms have financial problems. For example: Crytek often changed the idea behind Ryse. It started as a Kinect game and ended as a great looking but not so good game. Capcom also has a lot of success with Monster Hunter or other IPs but games like the last Resident Evil games had to deal with a lot of haters.

I'm not sure if Microsoft really wants to invest more money. Remember the rumours that they wanted to leave the whole industry. Yeah, just rumours but maybe they don't want pay more and more money.

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.

BTW - the usefulness of the engine is in licensing it out.... Which no one wants so Ms getting that won't help. I'm sure their studios have their own engines. As for timesplitters... Lol that franchise is dead and a revival won't bring many people over. Those games weren't huge in sales. And if there is a contract to release timesplitters on ps4 then ms would need to fulfill it