By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft could benefit from purchasing both Crytek & Capcom

I see no value in them buying CryTek - CryEngine is decent engine, but nothing that their (or anyone else) internal teams can't match (or surpass).

I see value in them acquiring Capcom, specially if they want to keep on pursuing mobile and Japanese markets.

Around the Network

Microsoft can. But should microsoft? Nope. Its not profitable. They need to buy smaller but talented teams.

They could resurrect Rareware by winning the former Goldeneye developers back from Crytek UK to lead the company.

The problem with Microsoft buying Capcom(mostly for Japan) is that most Japanese gamers play on handhelds (something Microsoft obviously does not have), not home consoles. So it's unclear exactly how many people would buy an Xbox One in Japan for a console exclusive Monster Hunter. But in sense of other franchises like Resident Evil I guess it makes sense, but I honestly believe it's a mistake especially for the gamers.

Crytek and Capcom would be good fits for MS. The issue with buying them is they are both multi-platform devts so buying them would mean a purchaser like MS is paying a premium for something they would not use...

Sony, definitely would not go there as they have their own profitability issues to deal with and therefore cannot afford to pay the premium without value.

To me, it is more likely that a company like Activision would take over Capcom, and Deep Silver would take over Crytek. You look at the IP libraries and these scenarios make more sense and are complementary to those publishers.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
Azerth said:
I agree the more the better they have the money for it

Yup, they have the money to overpay for studios by hundreds of millions just for a handful of good ips. Investors will love that

This makes no sense.

I have no thoughts on whether Microsoft wants these companies, but if they did, they'd only have to pay $1 more than what other companies are willing to pay.  And given the developers are of greatest value to those who can draw synergies from their existing talent and IP, there are all of half a dozen companies in the world that would see that value.

And Microsoft can afford to pay $1 more than any of them.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Maraccuda said:
I remember hearing that Japan would never let an non-Japanese company buy one that is Japan based. Not sure how true it is, but somewhat plausible.

Regardless out of the big three console manufacturers, Microsoft is the one in the best financial position to buy both of them and owning Capcom would certainly help them in the Japanese market.

Although I dont want M$ to buy either of them....

Well, that's true, however, since MS has a branch in the Japan, they can.

DerNebel said:
Yeah, I'm sure that nothing could go wrong with making games like MH or Resident Evil Xbox exclusive...

When will people finally stop asking for one of the console manufacturers to buy Capcom?

i would just like microsoft to take dead rising 3 and be gone

sony and nintendo can take the rest

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

starcraft said:
Max King of the Wild said:

Yup, they have the money to overpay for studios by hundreds of millions just for a handful of good ips. Investors will love that

This makes no sense.

I have no thoughts on whether Microsoft wants these companies, but if they did, they'd only have to pay $1 more than what other companies are willing to pay.  And given the developers are of greatest value to those who can draw synergies from their existing talent and IP, there are all of half a dozen companies in the world that would see that value.

And Microsoft can afford to pay $1 more than any of them.

I think the point he was trying to make is that both companies just aren't worth buying for a console manufacturer because they have tons of useless assets besides the things they have that MS/Sony/Nintendo could actually successfully make money with and if they want to buy the company they have to pay for all of it and not just the good parts.

If Capcom and/or Crytek meet the same fate as THQ then I think it'd be smart for MS/Sony/Nintendo to buy some of their IPs and hire some of their talent, but buying the 2 companies as a whole just doesn't seem like a good idea for any of the console manufacturers to me.

even with the money, Microsoft can't buy Capcom.

Click HERE and be happy