By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could someone explain it to me ? (Ps2 sales)

I think game sales were more spread out because of more variety possibly. 325 PS2 games sold over 1m, compared to the Wii's 153, the DS' 135.

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Around the Network
Sleepyprince said:

People, 

According to vgchartz, PS2 sold approx 140 millions units. If I look at PS2 most iconic games, a lot of them sold 3 to 6 millions. But the market was 140 millions owners. 

So, can we consider "flop" god of war 1, DMC 1, and other games that sell alike ?

According to VGChartz, PS2 sold approx 160 million units, as a matter of fact.

vivster said:

People need to learn that software sales don't scale linear against hardware sales.

This times 100. Seriously, how can people spend so much time on this site without learning how these things work?

Edit: Also, why do people keep bringing up piracy and DVD capabilities while discussing PS2 software sales? The last time I checked the PS2 had a tie-ratio of 10.54 which would indicate that overall software sales were extremely healthy and therefore not adversely affected by either. Just because the platform a game is available on is more popular does not mean that said game will magically appeal to more individuals.

Keep in mind many people bought the PS2 strictly as a DVD player.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Man, I just remembered what a shitload of exclusives the PS2 had. *sniff* Those were the days.

Around the Network

To all the below average guys who think they're smart talking about budget, you know there's different kind of flop ? Financial flop, critical flop, games that struggle to reach enough public to be recognised... A game can allow is dev to break even and still be a flop.

If you make a game that cost you 2€ and then you succeed to sell it to 2 guys for 4€ each out of millions consumers, you'll break even but that won't prevent your game to be a fucking flop audience wise.

I know my english is far from being perfect, but next time try to be a little smarter and then we will all try to have an intelligent conversation. What do you think ?

"Keep in mind many people bought the PS2 strictly as a DVD player."

Why ? Was the situation the same as Blu ray player being to expensive ? 

Sleepyprince said:

To all the below average guys who think they're smart talking about budget, you know there's different kind of flop ? Financial flop, critical flop, games that struggle to reach enough public to be recognised... A game can allow is dev to break even and still be a flop.

If you make a game that cost you 2€ and then you succeed to sell it to 2 guys for 4€ each out of millions consumers, you'll break even but that won't prevent your game to be a fucking flop audience wise.

I know my english is far from being perfect, but next time try to be a little smarter and then we will all try to have an intelligent conversation. What do you think ?

"Keep in mind many people bought the PS2 strictly as a DVD player."

Why ? Was the situation the same as Blu ray player being to expensive ? 

If a game makes a profit then it isn't a flop. I'm not sure why that's such a difficult concept for you to understand. Development back then was much cheaper than nowadays thanks to the lack of HD and online components. A game could sell a million and post a profit, and in no way is that considered a flop.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

PS2 sold 157 Million
DS 154 Million

there is no S

Not like it matters. PS2 has the highest software sales ever, by far.

Also those examples you linked are Hack and Slash games. They have never sold that high so up to 6 million for those is amazing. Most people didn't even know the PS2 was also a dvd player and that includes me. We got it because it was the most popular console at the time. It doesn't have a tie ratio of 10.54 and almost 1.7 billion software sales for nothing.