By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could someone explain it to me ? (Ps2 sales)

archer9234 said:
veritaz said:

I found out by accident and asked them afterwards. You're right about it being anecdotal though, not much I can say about that. I just have a hard time believing the huge software sales for PS2 has anything to do with it also being a DVD player. Seems like it should have been an opposite reaction. 

You're not putting yourself in 2001 mindset. No streaming, no one cared about hd resolution, no DVD-R burners, no cheap hard drives, 56k modems dominated still, no heavy file sharing, DVD's were brand new and phased out VHS, and no portible devices that could play videos. Then the PS2 was the cheapest DVD player for a few years.

wouldn't that mean software sales should have been lower then? People buying it for a DVD player doesn't explain almost 1.7 billion games sold. 

Around the Network
veritaz said:
archer9234 said:
veritaz said:

I found out by accident and asked them afterwards. You're right about it being anecdotal though, not much I can say about that. I just have a hard time believing the huge software sales for PS2 has anything to do with it also being a DVD player. Seems like it should have been an opposite reaction. 

You're not putting yourself in 2001 mindset. No streaming, no one cared about hd resolution, no DVD-R burners, no cheap hard drives, 56k modems dominated still, no heavy file sharing, DVD's were brand new and phased out VHS, and no portible devices that could play videos. Then the PS2 was the cheapest DVD player for a few years.

wouldn't that mean software sales should have been lower then? People buying it for a DVD player doesn't explain almost 1.7 billion games sold. 

Another factor is the XB and GC were not taking game sales away from the PS2. Microsoft in those days didn't money hat huge games. And Nintendo was in the dump. Plus, no DLC, no online store. Everything was physical only. Out of all my friends in high school (30 people that gamed), I was the sole person who didn't own a PS2. Not to mention how many times the system broke. The fat models were really badly made. I know one firend who had to buy 3 fats till it stopped breaking.

140M? More like 157M +

archer9234 said:

veritaz said:

Another factor is the XB and GC were not taking game sales away from the PS2. Microsoft in those days didn't money hat huge games. And Nintendo was in the dump. Plus, no DLC, no online store. Everything was physical only. Out of all my friends in high school (30 people that gamed), I was the sole person who didn't own a PS2. Not to mention how many times the system broke. The fat models were really badly made. I know one firend who had to buy 3 fats till it stopped breaking.

Everything you're saying is just leading back to dvd not being a major factor, but the games were. That's the only logical explanation for so much game sales. 

RolStoppable said:
gergroy said:
This is what happens when you have one dominant system. The game library gets so saturated that the ceiling for game sales is lowered... basically, too much competition in one console ecosystem will hamper the potential for all games in that ecosystem.

Apparently that didn't happen to the DS.

Didn't it? Only 18 PS2 and 19 DS titles could reach 5 million units.

Only 37 DS titles could reach 3 million units, PS2 had nearly double of that reaching 3 million units.

And Mario Kart 7 had no real racing game competition on the DS, while there were a lot of good racing games on PS2 which splitted the racing fans and their money. If you wanted a racing game for the DS, MK7 was the obvious choice, at PS2 the choice was not that clear cut.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
binary solo said:

But where is all the innovation that has lead to large amounts of sales of new and interesting games for DS? It also matters that 6 of the top selling games are more or less the same game but with slight variations (Pokemon). And many of those Mario games are merely continuations of franchises from previous generations (mario kart, NSMB DS, Super Mario 64). And there's DQ IX, which if I'm not mistaken is the 9th game in the franchise.

There's really no evidence to show that new and innovative games fared all that well on DS, apart from a handful of exceptions, compared to how PS2 games sold. The vast majority of great and excellent games sold <3 million on DS and PS2. So there's no real difference and DS isn't a special snowflake because it has a large number of amazing innovative games that sold 10s of millions of copies, or even a large number of amazing innovative games that sold over 5 million.

The innovation is in the games you label as exceptions in order to arrive at no evidence

Right so the exceptions that prove innovative games typically don't equal sales.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

in my country all people had PS2 . but in here PS2 were sold with hacked piracy.
you could find 5 max 10 consoles at original hardware.
all was designed to piracy.
there was no original copies of games all games were pirated copies.
but ps2 was in everywhere !

note:

i live in Turkey(has 77+million people  25 million young people)

veritaz said:
archer9234 said:

veritaz said:

Everything you're saying is just leading back to dvd not being a major factor, but the games were. That's the only logical explanation for so much game sales. 

I'm trying to justify both. Huge console sales by the DVD playback. Plus, boosted by it breaking a lot. Huge software sales: because of the lack of compition from baby microsoft. screwed up Nintendo, and Sega dying off one year before. Made the PS2 the perfect storm system.

The stance of breaking 1 million sales has changed from an astounding success to a franchise death quite fast. Videogames are quite unique in that it requires consistenly higher sales to be successfull whereas all music and most movie genres have stagnant budgets. Unfortunately the increase of adopters havent correlated with rise in costs and some platforms(deidcated handhelds) have even lost quite a consumer base to the mobile rise. It is no coincidence that we see fewer games than in the ps2 era. I honestly think that in order for this business to be sustainable for the forseeable future we need to compete in game prices. The only way of doing that without an initial loss of revenue however is to get people into digital purchases. This could allow game prices to be at 40 to 50 dollars like on steam. The industry needs to agressively try to decrease the money retailers get from titles. By doing this they would also get rid of the used market without consumers being angry since they get the games at a discount. I realize people are very passionate about the used market but in the end i think that through that strategy they will come around on it. One more benefit to focusing consumers transition to digital will be reduced costs from disc manufacturing and better options for tax evasion. If you provided the store from luxemburg (which i believe has severely low corporate taxes) you could profit even more from each unit sold. In general there are so many ways to increase profits through digital and if the consumer sees a benefit to it they will surely follow. We are far enough into the internet enabled age for this to happen