Platformer 13 3.87%

Racing 12 3.57%

Fighting 22 6.55%

Sports 126 37.50%

Multi-genre/other 22 6.55%

Total:333
Teeqoz said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Platformers. Theres hardly any variation to them. Even when there is an innovation in the genre (like switching the solidness of platforms) it gets replicated and you end up doing the same thing a billion times with hardly any difference. And unlike other genres, going online hardly means anything. In most cases it just means someone else is jumping around with you.

LBP was a bit fun because of the playcreateshare thing and the ability to create lots of AI movements to kill predictability, but after a while you can still feel the shallowness of the genre.

I know other genres have repetitive things too, but the amount of variables possible simultaneously is never as limited as in platformers, so they still feel like something different is happening, especially online.
To a certain extent this rant could apply to genres where they split up online players e.g. ghost cars online rather than the ability to impact each other by drafting, blocking overtakes, and crashing, but atleast when you change a car and weather settings, more variables have changed than when you change a character in a platformer (if its even possible)

okay, I love platformers so I got mad when I read this, but ill try to remain calm :) what gives platformers variation are when you combine it with other genres examples: Ratchet and Clank=platforming+shooting+little bit of RPG (leveling up all of your weapons, gaining more health as you level up), Sly Cooper=platformer+stealth+little bit of open world (the hub world, I love open world platformers!), Jak and Daxter=platformer+Full open world+shooting (in the 2nd and 3rd ones) and as you mentioned LBP=platformer+focus on coop+share create.

Sorry, I just got a bit agitated.

oh sorry, I should have been more clear, I meant 2d or 2.5d (3d graphics, but movement still 2 dimensional) platformers.

I dont mind the 3d ones, because tbh I see them more as adventure games than platformers.

Around the Network

Platformer.

Video Sport Games... because it is already a game, so if someone like it, he should go out and play it.

I don't own any Sports games. I own at least one of all the other options... so Sports.

Hmm, pie.

Sports. I guess it can be alright for local multiplayer - like playing FIFA with some friends. Though, its not something I would want to play on my own. Simulation racers comes at a close second.

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:
Teeqoz said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Platformers. Theres hardly any variation to them. Even when there is an innovation in the genre (like switching the solidness of platforms) it gets replicated and you end up doing the same thing a billion times with hardly any difference. And unlike other genres, going online hardly means anything. In most cases it just means someone else is jumping around with you.

LBP was a bit fun because of the playcreateshare thing and the ability to create lots of AI movements to kill predictability, but after a while you can still feel the shallowness of the genre.

I know other genres have repetitive things too, but the amount of variables possible simultaneously is never as limited as in platformers, so they still feel like something different is happening, especially online.
To a certain extent this rant could apply to genres where they split up online players e.g. ghost cars online rather than the ability to impact each other by drafting, blocking overtakes, and crashing, but atleast when you change a car and weather settings, more variables have changed than when you change a character in a platformer (if its even possible)

okay, I love platformers so I got mad when I read this, but ill try to remain calm :) what gives platformers variation are when you combine it with other genres examples: Ratchet and Clank=platforming+shooting+little bit of RPG (leveling up all of your weapons, gaining more health as you level up), Sly Cooper=platformer+stealth+little bit of open world (the hub world, I love open world platformers!), Jak and Daxter=platformer+Full open world+shooting (in the 2nd and 3rd ones) and as you mentioned LBP=platformer+focus on coop+share create.

Sorry, I just got a bit agitated.

oh sorry, I should have been more clear, I meant 2d or 2.5d (3d graphics, but movement still 2 dimensional) platformers.

I dont mind the 3d ones, because tbh I see them more as adventure games than platformers.

aaah, well nevermind, i'm mostly in to 3d platformers. There are some good 2d ones though, like guacameele (okay, it's metroivania, but its still a platformer). But yes, if a game purely consists of platforming, then it would get tediuos.

also, I think I assumed you were a bit of a "dudebro" because of your name, that added some fuel to the fire. Sorry!

JRPGs, 30 minute movies separated by an hour of tilting forward and periodically pressing "a" barely even count as games in my eyes.

Platformers. The game-play is so stale for me. I've started so many, only to give up because it's boring. The challenge is so static, it turns into a memorization test and you end up repeating these static challenges over and over. Nothing turns my brain into mush as fast as a straight-up platformer.

pokoko said:
Platformers. The game-play is so stale for me. I've started so many, only to give up because it's boring. The challenge is so static, it turns into a memorization test and you end up repeating these static challenges over and over. Nothing turns my brain into mush as fast as a straight-up platformer.

2d or 3d?

also @bold do you mean a pure platformer with no other elements?

lol at people saying Sport games. not everyone can go and play sports every night or every time. though a lot users from USA dont know anything about FOOTBALL so its okay to them say their boring sports like(nba nfl madden and bla bla ) are boring. But football isnt. i play football and outside too but you cant go every time and play football by your side.so they are good games

crap one is RPG Games and MMORPG Games. they are just boring fest. created for nerds.