By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Mario Kart 8 didn't save the WiiU

Tagged games:

tripenfall said:
One game can't save a system but the more consoles sold, the more likely 3rd parties will be to create/port games onto Wii U. Ubisoft confirmed this the other day by saying they are holding back Wii U games until a larger install base is out there. If by the end of the year Nintendo has a good black Friday and Xmas period with games like Smash Bros out it's possible Wii U sales could start looking fairly respectable. Something around 9 million units by this years end isn't out of the question.

9m isn't out of the question... But after two years that is still probably under current  xpectations. 

Around the Network

What does that make XBone if Watchdogs couldn't get its sales past the Wii U and Mario Kart 8?

Max King of the Wild said:

true but keep in mind it did great fw in the software front

Which is expected because this is the game people have been anticipating for a while. It's suffered harsh drops (like every high selling game) in its second week. It will have legs and be a multimillion seller a couple times over. But this thread is on Hw. And so far, it's been meh. Wasn't enough to sell more than the Gc in a single month.

well thats fine i still think it will be a repeat and smash bros will do a melee and sell more but you have a point

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Max King of the Wild said:
DélioPT said:
If it`s selling well, why should they not order more? It`s really strange, if you ask me.

Maybe nintendo made it a limited release. Think about all the money they'd be losing if they heavily bundled the biggest selling game. A game that a lot of people will own and nothing else. They could be banking on people paying for the game and console so they don't incur losses.

I'll be able to tell you if retailers can order more tomorrow at work.

Then that would be really, really limited. Not even one month worth of sales.
Zelda WW HD was also a limited edition and you can still find it in store.

Btw, don`t remember reading nothing pointing to a limited edition.

If you can do that it would be cool. Thanks.

padib said:

As I've shown, the real exceptions are the N64 and the cube, they failed to sell because they were largely overshadowed in visibility by their nearest competition, the Playstation.

Nintendo now has more visibility and the PS and XB are now stuck in a corner to sell games to one audience, mostly dudebro and adult males. Nintendo is very well capable of selling hardware in this environment.

It's clear to me.

This "corner" they are stuck in is the absolute majority of the audience that games on consoles...

Around the Network
padib said:
Ucell said:

Its still not clear to you is it? Nintendo games sell well to mostly the same audience. If their games had a larger audience the N64, GC and now the Wii U wouldn't all have been failing HARDWARE sales wise.

The N64 clearly had some of the biggest exclusives Nintendo ever pulled out for a single console (SM 64, Goldeneye 007, TLOZ: OOT, MK 64) but it still failed. That proves that Nintendo consoles cannot sell well with only Nintendo's support.

As I've shown, the real exceptions are the N64 and the cube, they failed to sell because they were largely overshadowed in visibility by their nearest competition, the Playstation.

Nintendo now has more visibility and the PS and XB are now stuck in a corner to sell games to one audience, mostly dudebro and adult males. Nintendo is very well capable of selling hardware in this environment.

It's clear to me.

Yet the PS and XB consoles sell a lot more. In that case its apparent from your narrow minded point of view that most console gamers these days are dudebros and adult male gamers. In that case Nintendo needs to appeal to them.

If Nintendo are capable of selling home consoles, why did every home console only supported by Nintendo fail miserably? I'd like you to give the answer to that.

Mario Kart 8 didn't save Wii U because there aren't as many Mario fans as you think , Gamecube and Nintendo 64 Area showed this.

Personally I bought Wii U , but if i didn't wait for Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade  and Fatal Frame, the classic Nintendo IPs weren't enough for me.

padib said:
DerNebel said:
padib said:

It's clear to me.

This "corner" they are stuck in is the absolute majority of the audience that games on consoles...

Sure games for that audience are selling well now, but the sales in that market are also stagnating now, Watch Dogs being the exception because gamers were starved.

GTA V broke records, COD games sell extremely well, Titanfall sold very well. I could name you many more, but you seem to be unwilling to accept that the majority of gamers nowadays look for an experience in their games when they buy it for such a lot of money.

Gaming isn't a kids' hobby anymore like it was in the 80's when Intendo used to dominate. That has become very apparent.

padib said:
Ucell said:

Yet the PS and XB consoles sell a lot more. In that case its apparent from your narrow minded point of view that most console gamers these days are dudebros and adult male gamers. In that case Nintendo needs to appeal to them.

If Nintendo are capable of selling home consoles, why did every home console only supported by Nintendo fail miserably? I'd like you to give the answer to that.

Nintendo can't appeal to them, it is not a market they are good at selling to. It's no use they frustrate themselves with a market that gives them no profit.

I'll give you an answer to that alright. If the Wii had no 3rd party support, it would have sold more games than the Xbox (figures to boot). How's that for an answer?

I was talking about hardware all along. Wii sold well due to motion controls and a low price. Other Nintendo consoles which didn't get third-party support didn't do well. That prves my point that Nintendo alone isn't enough to create a successful console.

padib said:
Ucell said:

GTA V broke records, COD games sell extremely well, Titanfall sold very well. I could name you many more, but you seem to be unwilling to accept that the majority of gamers nowadays look for an experience in their games when they buy it for such a lot of money.

Gaming isn't a kids' hobby anymore like it was in the 80's when Intendo used to dominate. That has become very apparent.

What I'm trying to tell you is that there was a time when more than that type of game sold. There was a time when the PS2 was revered for the excellence of its JRPGs, fun and variety of games (I mentioned R&C, Crash, Parappa).

That is not the Sony of today, and part of the reason why I believe Nintendo is in a much better position to thrive.

This isn't about kids vs adults. It's about breadth of appeal vs narrowness of appeal.

The PS2 audience split between the PS3 and Xbox 360. The Sony of today is indeed not as dominant as they were with the PS2, but that's not due to lack of kids' games. Its because Xbox has strengthened itself a lot more now.

Nintendo's games with trheir breadth of appeal and great reviews and fanfare still don't make their consoles sell well when they are on their own. Many gamers ike me enjoy the adult, violent, atmospheric games of today and don't want to play Mario games. Nintendo consoles need to appeal to our kind of gamers because we are clearly many in number. That is all.