By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Mario Kart 8 didn't save the WiiU

Tagged games:

padib said:
oniyide said:

no you didnt, you said Nintendo games. What does cube type library even mean? What does WIi type library mean? Wii U has gotten a combo of both types and its still doing bad.  @bolded, break it down for me. What do you mean VASTLY different? didnt N64 and Cube have vastly different games than the competition? As did Wii Ds and 3ds does? Doesnt the WIi U? If the Wii U does why is it still doing bad? When you mean vastly different are you talking WiiWhatever type games and shovelware? cause Wii U has that and it aint helping

And you didnt even answer my question as to why PS4 and xone are doing better. Or are you trying to say their libraries are similar to WIi U but is just a better product?

I said games that don't exist on other consoles. Games like Metroid and Star Fox adventures, Smash Bros and Perfect Dark exist on other consoles. Games like Splatoon, Mario Kart, Pokemon, NSMB, Wii Play U, NintendoLand, Wario Ware, Art Academy and Endless Ocean aren't available on other consoles, or they are but are just much more popular on Nintendo consoles.

If those games aren't in themselves vastly different to you, do you need me to explain how they are vastly different? It should be pretty obvious.

The WiiU has them, but not enough of them, and needs system sellers to help them gain traction. Sure they ain't helping for now but it's by releasing more of them, newer ones and better ones that Nintendo will win, not by releasing the same ones over and over again (NSMB for example).

PS4 and X1 are doing better because they are front-loaded and cater to another market. The games aren't really out yet, WD showed that gamers were starved. They are sold by the expectations that they will have a strong library of 1st and 3rd party games. The U doesn't have that trust or luxury. The games need to sell the system over time, slowly but surely.

Really? i didnt know those games were multiplat. What are you on about?

They've shot a lot of their guns, and they are still losing. They are not winning anything. THe other two have barely started. What do you think will happen when the super HD twins do start getting games, games that wont come to Wii U btw? But you are right about one think WiiU doesnt have the luxury of trust, which is even more reason why they wont win.

Around the Network
padib said:
oniyide said:

Really? i didnt know those games were multiplat. What are you on about?

They've shot a lot of their guns, and they are still losing. They are not winning anything. THe other two have barely started. What do you think will happen when the super HD twins do start getting games, games that wont come to Wii U btw? But you are right about one think WiiU doesnt have the luxury of trust, which is even more reason why they wont win.

I'm talking about that type of game, games that appeal to the people playing on the "HD twins". Why do I feel like I always have to spell everything out for you.

You still don't see the difference between games like Wii Party U, splatoon, Captain toad and then Perfect Dark, Metroid Prime, COD, Assassin's Creed?

thats not what you said, all you listed was a bunch of games that didnt even make sense. Now we can have a discussion. Now your argument is that games like Metroid, Smash etc exist on other consoles which is why N64 and Cube got stomped. Wrong. What equilvalent did PS2 and xbox have that was like Metroid. Dont say Halo they arent even in the same genre. Smash bros? you really are stretching. There wasnt a game like that till PSASB and that was PS3/Vita. Fact is ALL systems share the same genres, it has been like that for years. DIDnt stop SNES from beating Genesis.

THe irony is the only time when a system truly was different was...with the Wii. But that had more to do with the controller that ALLOWED them to have very different games. Soon as Sony and MS got thier own motion crap it stopped being uniqe. Whats funny is the Wii ended up missing a few genres. (WRPGs) and the genres they did get like PS360 sold much worse by virtue of them being...much worse.

Now on to WIi U they have yet to differiante themselves which is why they are losing. MAtter of fact no. they HAVE but the difference is something people dont care about. YOu cant be different jsut for the sake of being different that wont work. Which is why again Wii U is losing. If they havent been able to show that difference between the others with a YEAR headstart, they arent going to now, lets not lie to ourselves. Quote me. What games are comign that are going to be different enough to make a difference. MK8 didnt do it? Hell there are other kart racers on other systems. and that is there biggest franchise so far. Smash? Maybe. But that didnt help 64 or GC and Sony can still do a followup to their Smash clone. Zelda? dont come out till next year and it has never saved anything.

padib said:
oniyide said:

thats not what you said, all you listed was a bunch of games that didnt even make sense. Now we can have a discussion. Now your argument is that games like Metroid, Smash etc exist on other consoles which is why N64 and Cube got stomped. Wrong. What equilvalent did PS2 and xbox have that was like Metroid. Dont say Halo they arent even in the same genre. Smash bros? you really are stretching. There wasnt a game like that till PSASB and that was PS3/Vita. Fact is ALL systems share the same genres, it has been like that for years. DIDnt stop SNES from beating Genesis.

THe irony is the only time when a system truly was different was...with the Wii. But that had more to do with the controller that ALLOWED them to have very different games. Soon as Sony and MS got thier own motion crap it stopped being uniqe. Whats funny is the Wii ended up missing a few genres. (WRPGs) and the genres they did get like PS360 sold much worse by virtue of them being...much worse.

Now on to WIi U they have yet to differiante themselves which is why they are losing. MAtter of fact no. they HAVE but the difference is something people dont care about. YOu cant be different jsut for the sake of being different that wont work. Which is why again Wii U is losing. If they havent been able to show that difference between the others with a YEAR headstart, they arent going to now, lets not lie to ourselves. Quote me. What games are comign that are going to be different enough to make a difference. MK8 didnt do it? Hell there are other kart racers on other systems. and that is there biggest franchise so far. Smash? Maybe. But that didnt help 64 or GC and Sony can still do a followup to their Smash clone. Zelda? dont come out till next year and it has never saved anything.

That's not what I said, hey? And you're notorious for following conversations? I think not.

It is not wrong, games like Metroid were bought by the same people as those who bought Castlevania, Metroid, Final Fantasy, most users who then migrated to the Playstation as the proper successor to the SNES. We know that by virtue of the games that released on the Playstation. They follow-up on that same kind of content and audience.

The only fact that we know is that Nintendo beat the Playstation (not Sega, but Sony's playstation) with two main consoles: the DS (and 3DS) and the Wii. What is there in common with those two consoles? I explained it, it's the games. Your argument on differentiating themselves has nothing to do with the final goal, which is to release games which are appealing and fun, which are new and can attract a market. The U hasn't achieved that because the volume of such games is not enough. I feel like I keep repeating myself. Sure a few games are out but it's not enough to sell the U.

There are other racers out there, what kind of crap argument is that Oni. Back when Mario Kart Wii came out there were also other kart racers out there but they couldn't hold a candle to MK's sales.

As for Smash, Sony's Smash clone can't hold a candle to Nintendo's Smash title. The series is on track to sell 10m if the other entries are any indicator. PASBR sold what 1m?  Who cares about it that's a horrible argument. Sure Smash alone is not enough, I agree with you. That doesn't change the fact that it is one more needed game in a mosaic that needs to be produced in order for Nintendo to replicate the DS success.

Until you see that picture you will never understand my argument.

A mosaic of games ... to replicate ... the DS success. Every other thing I said in this thread holds on that simple concept and theory of Nintendo's (yet unfulfilled) strategy.

Final Fantasy isnt even in the same genre as Metroid or Castlevania. What are you talking about? There was no Metroid equvilant on PS2 or Xbox. Tell me what they were? No its not Castlevania all the PS3/box games were 3d ones. Nothing to do wiht each other.

Ok fair enough. And im telling you they are NOT going to release enough games to make a difference, tehy had a year headstart, what were they doing? Again you can quote me.

As for MK im not talking about sales. MK was always the best seller. Hell even back in N64 days and PS1 still destroyed  it. PS2 same with Cube. What effect will it have on Wii U? Not much, not enough to change course, we are already seeing that as its way below 100k already.

Oh i understand. I just think you're wrong. This may sound harsh but there isnt anything coming out for Wii U that is going to drastically change things, if im wrong you can bring this up

It has sold more units worldwide than the XB1 for the last 3 weeks! I would say that if it holds up until the holidays it may end up in a better position than the XB1 at least! which is pretty surprising (and it would make sense in a way, Nintendo differenciate themselves with their IPs and great exclusives that every gamers worth their salt knows about Ms does not have the same relevance a lot of their attraction in the 360s days was due to the multi-platform titles being better on it than on PS3).

So there is a race for the second spot! Honestly, I think the XB1 will eventually sell more than the Wii U again, but the U may pull ahead whenever a Zelda or some other big title come out... I see myself getting one at some point!

alabtrosMyster said:

It has sold more units worldwide than the XB1 for the last 3 weeks! I would say that if it holds up until the holidays it may end up in a better position than the XB1 at least! which is pretty surprising (and it would make sense in a way, Nintendo differenciate themselves with their IPs and great exclusives that every gamers worth their salt knows about Ms does not have the same relevance a lot of their attraction in the 360s days was due to the multi-platform titles being better on it than on PS3).

So there is a race for the second spot! Honestly, I think the XB1 will eventually sell more than the Wii U again, but the U may pull ahead whenever a Zelda or some other big title come out... I see myself getting one at some point!

MK8 has come out about 2 years after WiiU debut and has still not moved the sales dial much.  We are talking abut a 2 year console that has barely racked up over 6 million is sales.  XBox One has been out barely 7 months and siitting with significantly more sales than the WiiU had at the same time frame. Then peeple will say that Titanfall failed to do the same however it had alot less room to play with here when you consider the One was only months old.  Even against what people claim are poor XBox One sales, the WiiU is in far far worse shape.  XBox one still has quite a few blockbuster games to look forward to over the next couple of years which will drive further sales amongst the FPS loyalist (Halo Gears etc).  WiiU on the other hand has already drawn a couple of its wildcards and failed, and is running out of time.  The big problem here is that WiiU's casual gamer base (many young people,- kids etc) have shifted to Ipad, tablets and touch phone games....In droves. 

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Around the Network
padib said:
oniyide said:

Final Fantasy isnt even in the same genre as Metroid or Castlevania. What are you talking about? There was no Metroid equvilant on PS2 or Xbox. Tell me what they were? No its not Castlevania all the PS3/box games were 3d ones. Nothing to do wiht each other.

Ok fair enough. And im telling you they are NOT going to release enough games to make a difference, tehy had a year headstart, what were they doing? Again you can quote me.

As for MK im not talking about sales. MK was always the best seller. Hell even back in N64 days and PS1 still destroyed  it. PS2 same with Cube. What effect will it have on Wii U? Not much, not enough to change course, we are already seeing that as its way below 100k already.

Oh i understand. I just think you're wrong. This may sound harsh but there isnt anything coming out for Wii U that is going to drastically change things, if im wrong you can bring this up

I think you're way too cocky for something that hasn't happened yet. I'm not saying Nintendo will pull it off, I'm saying that at least the strategy is sound, so long as they CAN pull it off.

How can I be wrong if I'm not predicting that they will pull it off but simply saying that I hope they do.

Again, MK did a lot for the N64 but not enough. Much like MK did a lot for the Wii but alone it would not be enough. That's why I'm talking about a mosaic.

As for Final Fantasy, I'm not talking about genres, I'm talking about the people that buy them. They are the same and the reason we know that is because of the games that were being bought when Metroid and Zelda were big: Mega Man, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, irrespective of genre. Those games were pursued by gamers on the PS and so Metroid is now not enough to attract the new (DS/Wii) crowd. It is good as a piece of a mosaic (like X and Golden Sun are nice as part of a larger mosaic), but alone they do little for the console. That's why the N64 and cube did so poorly. They didn't have the games that made the mosaic, like the DS and Wii had.

if being cocky is looking at numbers and trends and coming to some logically conclustion using said numbers. THen call me cocky. Were you really saying you HOPE or were you saying they WILL? if it was the former i apologize, still doesnt change my opinion that they wont.

Ok fair enough will see what happens with the system.

You literally have no proof of the bolded. You cant possibly know that people who bought Metroid also bought Zelda and Castlevania. Proof? N64 did bad because it didnt have the games. it didnt have the games its predessor had, that simple. GC sold poorly cause it got steamrolled

3sexty said:
alabtrosMyster said:

MK8 has come out about 2 years after WiiU debut and has still not moved the sales dial much.  We are talking abut a 2 year console that has barely racked up over 6 million is sales.  XBox One has been out barely 7 months and siitting with significantly more sales than the WiiU had at the same time frame. Then peeple will say that Titanfall failed to do the same however it had alot less room to play with here when you consider the One was only months old.  Even against what people claim are poor XBox One sales, the WiiU is in far far worse shape.  XBox one still has quite a few blockbuster games to look forward to over the next couple of years which will drive further sales amongst the FPS loyalist (Halo Gears etc).  WiiU on the other hand has already drawn a couple of its wildcards and failed, and is running out of time.  The big problem here is that WiiU's casual gamer base (many young people,- kids etc) have shifted to Ipad, tablets and touch phone games....In droves. 

Mario Kart is a franchise with a lot of legs that will continually sell well throughout the generation. SSB, Metroid, Starfox, Bayonetta 2, Zelda, Xenoblade X are all big upcoming releases so I'm not sure what you are even talking about. To say the Wii U failed is just complete nonsense. It's just getting started.

padib said:
oniyide said:
padib said:
oniyide said:

I think you're way too cocky for something that hasn't happened yet. I'm not saying Nintendo will pull it off, I'm saying that at least the strategy is sound, so long as they CAN pull it off.

How can I be wrong if I'm not predicting that they will pull it off but simply saying that I hope they do.

Again, MK did a lot for the N64 but not enough. Much like MK did a lot for the Wii but alone it would not be enough. That's why I'm talking about a mosaic.

As for Final Fantasy, I'm not talking about genres, I'm talking about the people that buy them. They are the same and the reason we know that is because of the games that were being bought when Metroid and Zelda were big: Mega Man, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, irrespective of genre. Those games were pursued by gamers on the PS and so Metroid is now not enough to attract the new (DS/Wii) crowd. It is good as a piece of a mosaic (like X and Golden Sun are nice as part of a larger mosaic), but alone they do little for the console. That's why the N64 and cube did so poorly. They didn't have the games that made the mosaic, like the DS and Wii had.

if being cocky is looking at numbers and trends and coming to some logically conclustion using said numbers. THen call me cocky. Were you really saying you HOPE or were you saying they WILL? if it was the former i apologize, still doesnt change my opinion that they wont.

Ok fair enough will see what happens with the system.

You literally have no proof of the bolded. You cant possibly know that people who bought Metroid also bought Zelda and Castlevania. Proof? N64 did bad because it didnt have the games. it didnt have the games its predessor had, that simple. GC sold poorly cause it got steamrolled

@bold. I don't remember saying the opposite. Right, the N64 didn't have the games, the GC sold poorly because it got streamrolled. You and I agree.

But I do know that the people who bought metroid also bought Zelda and Castlevania. How do I know that, here is how.

When a video game console is the leader in the industry, the video games bought generally follow a trend. For example, in the time of the PS Iand PS2, it seemed like the majority of high-profile games were japanese. Games like Ridge Racer, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear. Most people who bought one game in that genre would receive more games because the market would congregate to cater to itself.

The same happened in gen7, where shooters and gritty games were the norm. Games like Uncharted were more gritty than games like Jak and Daxter, and fit better with the better selling games of the gen such as Gears, Cod, AC, etc etc.

That is why I'm arguing, reasonably, that the people who bought Nintendo games back in the day also bought games that catered to a similar audience. So a shooter like megaman would be also bought by people who liked Metroid, a sword game like Zelda would also be bought by a person who bought Final Fantasy. The market congregates to satisfy what is hot. However within a same market there could be two main trends, where on the NES you had more action shooter type games (Megaman,  Metroid, Contra, Ikari Warriors, etc) and then you had family friendly games (like Mario, Clu clu land, Goonies, Mickey Mouse's Magical Kingdom). So my argument right now is that the N64 was focused on the former (action, dark) while the Wii focused on the latter (family, happy) and expanded on it.

I personally believe that nowadays games like Megaman and Metroid are no longer part of the second group by virtue of the evolution of dark and gritty (the level has expanded and metroid is now mild in that range), however I still believe that it is per the older scale less able to catch a wide audience than the Wii/DS type library is able to target.

And I think this isn't something that needs proof but that makes sense in light of the history of video games and the types of games that sold on the SNES and migrated to make the Playstation popular.

we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. THe problem with your examples is the numbers just arent matching up. Metroid was NEVER that big to begin with so it makes no sense to say there is alot of overlap between that series and FF which was always pretty damn popular at least in Japan. Hell Castlevania is even less popular. The best selling one only did 1mil+ and that was on PS. Matter of fact most of those really popular games on SNES did even better on PS with the exception of a few like Street Fighter. Now that explains why PS did so well, but that doesnt explain why Wii did well when it still missed out on those games anyway. Now the casual stuff off set that which is fine. BUt i dont see how Wii U will get much better, because its still missing those games and it doesnt have the casuals to fall back on.

I do agree with what was mostly said, but i would have to say you are putting too much stock in the NES. That system itself had no competition, SNes has some. Ninty didnt really face a formitable foe till PS

padib said:
oniyide said:

we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. THe problem with your examples is the numbers just arent matching up. Metroid was NEVER that big to begin with so it makes no sense to say there is alot of overlap between that series and FF which was always pretty damn popular at least in Japan. Hell Castlevania is even less popular. The best selling one only did 1mil+ and that was on PS. Matter of fact most of those really popular games on SNES did even better on PS with the exception of a few like Street Fighter. Now that explains why PS did so well, but that doesnt explain why Wii did well when it still missed out on those games anyway. Now the casual stuff off set that which is fine. BUt i dont see how Wii U will get much better, because its still missing those games and it doesnt have the casuals to fall back on.

I do agree with what was mostly said, but i would have to say you are putting too much stock in the NES. That system itself had no competition, SNes has some. Ninty didnt really face a formitable foe till PS

I'm honestly happy chatting with you, so agree disagree is cool by me either way.

I think you might be confusing the numbers I brought up for Metroid, Castlevania, Megaman with Playstation era sales figures. The numbers I was referring to were SNES era numbers.

For example, in the SNES era, Super Metroid sold as follows and Final Fantasy IV sold as follows:

GamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
Final Fantasy II SNES 1991 Role-Playing Square 0.24 0.09 1.33 0.12 1.77
Super Metroid SNES 1994 Action Nintendo 0.57 0.12 0.71 0.02 1.42
Mega Man X SNES 1993 Platform Capcom 0.57 0.08 0.50 0.01 1.16
Super Castlevania IV SNES 1991 Platform Konami Digital Entertainment 0.32 0.05 0.25 0.01 0.63

But honestly these number's don't mean much because at the same time we have:

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 Super Mario World SNES 1990 Platform Nintendo 12.78 3.75 3.54 0.55 20.61
2 Super Mario All-Stars SNES 1993 Platform Nintendo 5.99 2.15 2.12 0.29 10.55
3 Donkey Kong Country SNES 1994 Platform Nintendo 4.36 1.71 3.00 0.23 9.30
4 Super Mario Kart SNES 1992 Racing Nintendo 3.54 1.24 3.81 0.18 8.76
17 Mario Paint SNES 1992 Misc Nintendo 1.43 0.54 0.71 0.07 2.75
22 SimCity SNES 1991 Simulation Nintendo 0.93 0.27 0.75 0.04 1.98
25 Disney's The Lion King SNES 1994 Platform Virgin Interactive 1.26 0.39 0.08 0.06 1.79
27 Disney's Aladdin SNES 1993 Platform Capcom 0.94 0.34 0.21 0.27 1.75
29 Super Scope 6 SNES 1991 Shooter Nintendo 1.06 0.38 0.15 0.05 1.65
33 Kirby Super Star SNES 1996 Platform Nintendo 0.26 0.07 1.09 0.02 1.44
45 Pilotwings SNES 1990 Simulation Nintendo 0.46 0.17 0.48 0.02 1.14

A lot of which sold similarly to the games in the above section. Really the SNES had games for both audiences (family-friendly and more teen type games), but we know that the teen type games went to be played on the playstation, while Nintendo continued to try to cater to the teen audience but wasn't able to keep the hold.

The answer to your question about the U is that, even if the casual boom is over, it doesn't mean that there isn't demand for casual games, or at least for games that appeal to children. The 3DS is weaker than the DS but it's still strong, and I think it supports that idea. So though the casual craze is over, the U could still find a DS-type success in its own way by offering games that made the DS successful.

I personally don't think Nintendo will pull it off, but MK8 is definitely a giant leap in the right direction.

But you cant really use SNES numbers as they prove nothing. Final Fantasy was exclusive. So if you wanted to play that game you HAD to get a SNES. Its that simple. And that doesnt really prove their is any overlap between those series. THe 1.77 mil people who bought FF could be COMPLETLY different people that bought Super Metroid. We have no proof either way so its not really a substantial argument. Matter of fact all those games you listed were exclusive to SNES with the exception of Aladdin which was a completly different game on Genesis anyway.

My original point was you cant say those games had overlap because if that were true. The PS wouldnt have sold SO much better. So that tells me that those games that left Nintendo systems were more important than some realize or Nintendo franchises arent as big as some people want to believe. Otherwise N64 would have at least came close to PS numbers. And N64 had plenty of Teen type games. THEy had the same types of games that PS1 had. GE, Star Wars, Perfect Dark. What happened was it was a more expensive system with less games.

DS type games wont help it, becasue Wii U isnt a DS, the games that were really popular on DS are not going to translate well onto a home console. Ninty regulars not withstanding. Hell they are not doing anything for the 3ds. People who want those types of games are going to play on their smart phones or stick to their DSs. Let me put it this way people are spending hundreds a dollars to play a home console version of Nintendogs. MK 8 is just par for the course.

padib said:
oniyide said:

But you cant really use SNES numbers as they prove nothing. Final Fantasy was exclusive. So if you wanted to play that game you HAD to get a SNES. Its that simple. And that doesnt really prove their is any overlap between those series. THe 1.77 mil people who bought FF could be COMPLETLY different people that bought Super Metroid. We have no proof either way so its not really a substantial argument. Matter of fact all those games you listed were exclusive to SNES with the exception of Aladdin which was a completly different game on Genesis anyway.

My original point was you cant say those games had overlap because if that were true. The PS wouldnt have sold SO much better. So that tells me that those games that left Nintendo systems were more important than some realize or Nintendo franchises arent as big as some people want to believe. Otherwise N64 would have at least came close to PS numbers. And N64 had plenty of Teen type games. THEy had the same types of games that PS1 had. GE, Star Wars, Perfect Dark. What happened was it was a more expensive system with less games.

DS type games wont help it, becasue Wii U isnt a DS, the games that were really popular on DS are not going to translate well onto a home console. Ninty regulars not withstanding. Hell they are not doing anything for the 3ds. People who want those types of games are going to play on their smart phones or stick to their DSs. Let me put it this way people are spending hundreds a dollars to play a home console version of Nintendogs. MK 8 is just par for the course.

I feel like we're not talking about the same thing, because I said in my post that the numbers meant little so we actually agree. I'm not sure you're understanding me.

My point was that the games that became big games on the Playstation were also big games on the SNES, and that they were very similar to a certain type of Nintendo games which made up the larger part of the N64 library. You are right the PS beat the N64 due to a better price and more games. Since that defeat that market is no longer viable for Nintendo.

The DS type games idea I'm pushing now constitutes casual games (which you mention people are playing on their smartphones), as well as now teen games (which evolved on the PS console to now nitty gritty). So the DS library of fun + teen games is now complementary to the PS/Xbox library, they don't directly compete very strongly (due to what was popular on the PS now evolved to a new type of game).

Sometimes I just wish we could talk to each other verbally because typing ideas is often difficult.

Oh ok, that makes a bit more sense to me

I would argue that DS strategy wont work to well. Becasue those casual games always catered more to the portable type of scene. It wont really translate well into home consoles. And even if they did, they would be more expensive than smart phone games anyway. Dont see how there is a easy work around for that. They can have easily done teen games on PS/Xbox so people who want those are already covered. The DS never competed directly because its a portable, you try that on a home console and its a whole new ball game.