By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Mario Kart 8 didn't save the WiiU

Tagged games:

Seece said:
think-man said:
Mk8 was never going to save the WiiU. A single game can't "save" a system. It can give it a bump in sales but that's about it.

Not strictly true, Pokemon saved Gameboy? But that was a new franchise which because a phenomenon. MK8 is a sequel, people know what they're getting. So you're right.

Oh yeh I forgot about that, I didn't realize the Gameboy needed saving that's all. I think what the WiiU needs is a price cut. Id buy one sooner if it were a little cheaper.

Around the Network
think-man said:
Seece said:
think-man said:
Mk8 was never going to save the WiiU. A single game can't "save" a system. It can give it a bump in sales but that's about it.

Not strictly true, Pokemon saved Gameboy? But that was a new franchise which because a phenomenon. MK8 is a sequel, people know what they're getting. So you're right.

Oh yeh I forgot about that, I didn't realize the Gameboy needed saving that's all. I think what the WiiU needs is a price cut. Id buy one sooner if it were a little cheaper.

You should've just got the MK8 bundle. It's over $150 in savings.

And you would also save $100 by getting the MK8 bundle over getting a $250 Wii U(which isn't out yet)

I guess it all depends on what games you plan on getting

MK8 did not helped sell hardware, so it is not a good game, simple as that. First Party games has as primary objective to sell hardware and this aspect Mario Kart 8 failed miserably. In other words Mario Kart 8 failed in its primary objective, basically.

padib said:

I've played both yes. They share a sci-fi theme, that to most people is all it needs to share to give people a feel that Metroid got trumped by Bungee's new IP. Where is Metroid today?

The pack-in excuse has been repeatedly refuted. If people did not want the kinect they probably would not want Kinect Adventures and vice-versa.

I have a meeting I will go over all your points when I can.

I dont mean to keep butting in on you and Rol's convo but your reply to him is a good enough reply that could've been to mine.

With that said.. Do you hear yourself? "metroid got trumped by bungies new ip"? Why would you try to bring up Destiny when you were originally talking about Halo? Halo is owned by MS and Bungee is not. Bungee is with Activision and is developing Destiny. 343 is the developer of Halo now. 

It seems like you're all over the place and tried to shift your argument to being about Destiny on the sly

And how exactly has the pack-in excuse been refuted? What you just said did not refute anything. Going by that logic, I guess we can say that if Wii Sports wasn't bundled with the Wii, it would have lost over 82 million hardware sales. This same logic would tell us that the only thing the Wii U really needs is Wii Sports 2.

padib said:
enditall727 said:

I dont mean to keep butting in on you and Rol's convo but your reply to him is a good enough reply that could've been to mine.

With that said.. Do you hear yourself? "metroid got trumped by bungies new ip"? Why would you try to bring up Destiny when you were originally talking about Halo? Halo is owned by MS and Bungee is not. Bungee is with Activision and is developing Destiny. 343 is the developer of Halo now. 

It seems like you're all over the place and tried to shift your argument to being about Destiny on the sly

And how exactly has the pack-in excuse been refuted? What you just said did not refute anything. Going by that logic, I guess we can say that if Wii Sports wasn't bundled with the Wii, it would have lost over 82 million hardware sales. This same logic would tell us that the only thing the Wii U really needs is Wii Sports 2.

I know who makes Halo, watch your quote trees.

The pack-in excuse is used against Nintendo all the time. It's pretty clear that Wii Sports, as much as it was bundled, helped sell consoles, and hte console helped sell Wii Sports. The bundle argument is not a solid one.

The pack in excuse is used against Nintendo ASWELL as Sony and Microsoft. It's not an exclusive excuse only used against Nintendo. 

Have you ever looked at an Uncharted 3 thread on the topic of sales? It is physically impossible to get through one without people talking about it being bundled. People talked about how Uncharted 1 was bundled with the 80gb ps3, lbp being bundled, Motorstorm 1 being bundled, Gran Turismo being bundled, Forza being bundled etc.

In Wii Sports case, i don't know why you even claim that it is an excuse. Everybody on planet earth knows that Wii Sports was pretty much bundled with every console. The Wii had PLENTY of Nintendo games tgat sold BEAUTIFULLY so who in their right mind would get bothered by the fact that Wii Sports was bundled?

The Wii Mote is what sold the Wii. Wii Sports barely helped anything. Wii Sports could've released on GC with the GC controller and wouldn't have sold anything remotely close to Wii Sports with the Wii Mote

And what you said to refute the pack-in excuse,was less solid than the bundle argument itself

Around the Network

A steady stream of high quality games can save the Wii U, Which imo seems to have with Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, and SSB all coming out this year. So I could see the Wii U having a better baseline.

padib said:

I never said it was exclusive to Nintendo, I just said I was familiar with it (being a Nintendo fan).

I'll bet a million bucks that, if we were to go back in time, the Wii would have sold close to N64 levels had it not been for Wii Sports.

That's my point.

It would have sold half of the numbers. 50 million is my guess on how much it would have sold without Wii series games.

padib said:
RolStoppable said:

The DS is not a dual analog controller.

Wow. Rol

I can't believe that's your argument. What about the 3DS, do the japanese have a smaller psychological barrier to cross?

umm, yep you are correct :p by the way sorry for interrupting your cinversation.

padib said:
enditall727 said:

The pack in excuse is used against Nintendo ASWELL as Sony and Microsoft. It's not an exclusive excuse only used against Nintendo. 

Have you ever looked at an Uncharted 3 thread on the topic of sales? It is physically impossible to get through one without people talking about it being bundled. People talked about how Uncharted 1 was bundled with the 80gb ps3, lbp being bundled, Motorstorm 1 being bundled, Gran Turismo being bundled, Forza being bundled etc.

In Wii Sports case, i don't know why you even claim that it is an excuse. Everybody on planet earth knows that Wii Sports was pretty much bundled with every console. The Wii had PLENTY of Nintendo games tgat sold BEAUTIFULLY so who in their right mind would get bothered by the fact that Wii Sports was bundled?

The Wii Mote is what sold the Wii. Wii Sports barely helped anything. Wii Sports could've released on GC with the GC controller and wouldn't have sold anything remotely close to Wii Sports with the Wii Mote

And what you said to refute the pack-in excuse,was less solid than the bundle argument itself

I never said it was exclusive to Nintendo, I just said I was familiar with it (being a Nintendo fan).

I'll bet a million bucks that, if we were to go back in time, the Wii would have sold close to N64 levels had it not been for Wii Sports.

That's my point.

You would lose that bet EPICALLY!

I can't believe you even said this

Do you know what Wii Sports revolved around? The Wii Mote and it's motion controls.

If you take the motion controls away from Wii Sports, it would be just a VASTLY below average ass baseball/tennis/Boxing that you can play BETTER anywhere else.

Why didn't MS and Sony make a Wii Sports game after looking at Wii Sports? Why did they wait until they each had a MOTION CONTROLLED device to make their Wii Sports like games? That's right, you said it! It's because it would be recognised as a VASTLY below average game where you can play better everywhere else.

All Wii Sports did was show what the Wii Mote could do.

So if Wii Sports were to release on a Nintendo console WITHOUT a Wii Mote, it would only expose the game being that all of the magic that was experienced with Wii Sports was REALLY the Wii Mote and the whole motion controls

So Wii Sports wouldn't be sh!t without the Wii Mote

padib said:
enditall727 said:

You would lost that bet EPICALLY!

I can't believe you even said this

Do you know what Wii Sports revolved around? The Wii Mote and it's motion controls.

If you take the motion controls away from Wii Sports, it would be just a VASTLY below average ass baseball/tennis/Boxing that you can play BETTER anywhere else.

Why didn't MS and Sony make a Wii Sports game after looking at Wii Sports? Why did they wait until they each had a MOTION CONTROLLED device to make their Wii Sports like games? That's right, you said it! It's because it would be recognised as a VASTLY below average game where you can play better everywhere else.

All Wii Sports did was show what the Wii Mote could do.

So if Wii Sports were to release on a Nintendo console WITHOUT a Wii Mote, it would only expose the game being that all of the magic that was experienced with Wii Sports was REALLY the Wii Mote and the whole motion controls

So Wii Sports wouldn't be sh!t without the Wii Mote

If that were true, why didn't the other mote games sell similarly? hmm?

What Mote games? You mean like Wii Sports Resort and all that stuff? 

Because they all weren't bundled with every console the way Wii Sports was.