By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Mario Kart 8 didn't save the WiiU

Tagged games:

OfficerRaichu15 said:
Nintendo: King of Handhelds
Sony: King of Consoles
Microsoft: King of Pc Interfaces
i guess this is how you would summon everything up

Lol king of consoles Sony lol I think you are forgetting Nintendo has won 3 of the previous 7 generations (nes,super nes and wii) and this generation 8 is not over yet...Sony has won only two ps1 and ps2 

Around the Network
padib said:
Ucell said:
padib said:
RolStoppable said:
The reason for limited stock would be atrocious Wii U sales in the past. Retailers don't have much faith in the console anymore, so they ordered stock in limited quantities.

Your opinion that the Wii U could have been saved is the reason why certain people keep piesacking Nintendo fans.

Something tells me you're going to be eating a lot of crow once the gen is over.

Nintendo can sell their own consoles. It's not because NSMBU bombed that the U is doomed.

Was Nintendo able to sell N64 and GC well enough? No console can sell without third-party support especially with such a terrible hardware-price ratio.

Also Nintendo games aren't good and varied enough to sustain Wii U sales.

Nintendo alone sold more first party games on the Wii than the cube and xbox sold games in total. Nintendo can sustain a console alone.

Platform Platform sales Sales as publisher Ratio
NES 501.48 189.52 37.79%
SNES 379.06 97.28 25.66%
N64 225.16 129.95 57.71%
GC 208.61 79.47 38.10%
Wii 918.40 396.44 43.17%
WiiU   25.34 18.81 74.23%
Totals -> 2258.05 911.47 40.37%

xbox:

Platform Platform sales Sales as publisher Ratio
XB 271.46 54.36 20.00%
X360 889.54 163.19 18.35%
X1 14.91 3.52 23.61%
Totals ->  1175.91 221.06 18.80%

More in this thread.

But there was literally no standalone wiis, they were all bundled with one or two nintendo games, the Wii i bought came with both Wii sports and Wii sports resorts, approximately 130million of the softwaresales nintendo had on the Wii was from bundles, if you subtract that from Nintendos sales on the Wii 400-130=270, so they really "only" sold 270 million standalone games, using that number (and subtract the bundle sales from total software sales as well you) you end up with a publisher ratio of about 34%. Using that figure we see that the three best selling nintendo homeconsoles are coincidentally the three nintendo home consoles with the lowest publisher ratio.

padib said:

Do you think the PS4 and Xbox are, in the market they've shoved themselves into, able to compete against Nintendo's games? Nintendo has built an arsenal of games that are fun and Sony has nothing to compete with.

Back in the day they had R&C, Crash, Parappa, lots of fun games. Today they have LoU and UC, GoW. Different times my Rol.

We still have R&C though.. and Sly 4 released in 2013(I think Sly is fun, but this is all my opinion obviously) and i'm willing to bet that sly 5 will release alongside the movie in 2016. and LittleBigPlanet is fun, and we will see LBP3 this year. I always hear people bragging about nintendos franchise roster (and rightfully so), but people always seem to forget that Sony owns a shitload of IP's aswell.

padib said:
DerNebel said:

When did I ever say anything about violence? The point is that the games from back then still exist if there is still an audience for them and those that don't have an audience anymore disappeared and got replaced by others. Gta, GT, FF, MGS and more than likely KH are still huge or at least very big and others like Cod, AC or Fifa came and/or got huge in the last years. Both Sony and MS will achieve variety on their systems and will have more then enough different games to cater to the majority of the gaming community.

If there is one of the big 3 that is driven in a corner regarding their audience then it's Nintendo, cause their audience consists of one group right now: the Nintendo fans.

Violent games typically don't sell to families and the broader audience (albeit the PS360 audience itself is surprisingly broad itself).

The games that made the PS2 great are not at all the same pedigree as those that made the PS360 great.

The difference between the PS2 and PS3 is here, just look at the list. They got completely replaced by one type of game: gritty gun games.The exceptions are sports games and 1 family game (LBP), but even sports games are less arcady and more serious nowadays.

The WiiU doesn't sell to families, it sells to kids. You know what Mom and Dad want in a console for their living room? An entertainment machine. Something to watch Netflix and play Blu-rays. The WiiU has Netflix but it's sort of missing a Blu-ray/DVD player. Your argument about the WiiU being in a better position because it has more variety in it's lineup is completely wrong. Not even counting indie games let's just take a look at a few PS4 genres. 

Sports games  - Fifa 14, MLB 14, NBA 2K14, Madden NFL 25

Platformers - Rayman Legends, LittleBigPlanet 3, Knack

Stealth games - Thief, MGSV

Kids games - Lego The Hobbit, The Lego Movie Game, Spider-man 2, Knack, LBP3

RPG- FFXIV, FFXV, KH3

Well that's strange, I thought the only thing PS4 had was shooters and violent games? Instead of just looking at the best selling games you can take a look at the whole lineup and see a much bigger picture. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
padib said:
DerNebel said:

When did I ever say anything about violence? The point is that the games from back then still exist if there is still an audience for them and those that don't have an audience anymore disappeared and got replaced by others. Gta, GT, FF, MGS and more than likely KH are still huge or at least very big and others like Cod, AC or Fifa came and/or got huge in the last years. Both Sony and MS will achieve variety on their systems and will have more then enough different games to cater to the majority of the gaming community.

If there is one of the big 3 that is driven in a corner regarding their audience then it's Nintendo, cause their audience consists of one group right now: the Nintendo fans.

Violent games typically don't sell to families and the broader audience (albeit the PS360 audience itself is surprisingly broad itself).

The games that made the PS2 great are not at all the same pedigree as those that made the PS360 great.

The difference between the PS2 and PS3 is here, just look at the list. They got completely replaced by one type of game: gritty gun games.The exceptions are sports games and 1 family game (LBP), but even sports games are less arcady and more serious nowadays.

The WiiU doesn't sell to families, it sells to kids. You know what Mom and Dad want in a console for their living room? An entertainment machine. Something to watch Netflix and play Blu-rays. The WiiU has Netflix but it's sort of missing a Blu-ray/DVD player. Your argument about the WiiU being in a better position because it has more variety in it's lineup is completely wrong. Not even counting indie games let's just take a look at a few PS4 genres. 

Sports games  - Fifa 14, MLB 14, NBA 2K14, Madden NFL 25

Platformers - Rayman Legends, LittleBigPlanet 3, Knack

Stealth games - Thief, MGSV

Kids games - Lego The Hobbit, The Lego Movie Game, Spider-man 2, Knack, LBP3

RPG- FFXIV, FFXV, KH3

Well that's strange, I thought the only thing PS4 had was shooters and violent games? Instead of just looking at the best selling games you can take a look at the whole lineup and see a much bigger picture. 

you got a point

but for stealth you forgot batman

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Around the Network

this actually is a good move. And is not my opinion. Is first lesson on publicity career.

I'm not talking to you.

I'm not social on this website.

Sorry for my english.

Bye.

I'm not talking to you. I'm not social on this website. Sorry.

Nintentacle said:
It's not MK8 or the bundle stock that won't save the Wii U, It's the fact that the next First Party game releases in 2 months in Japan, and 3 months everwhere else.

/Thread

Wait!!! Wii Sports Club is getting released on a disc, with all 5 sports on July 17th in Japan, and in July 25th in America.

Jay70sgamer said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:

Lol king of consoles Sony lol I think you are forgetting Nintendo has won 3 of the previous 7 generations (nes,super nes and wii) and this generation 8 is not over yet...Sony has won only two ps1 and ps2 

Sony has won only two?

But... They've only had 3 gens so far. PS4 is the fourth, and it's still too early to tell even though they're leading quite comfortably so far.

The Wii U is Nintendo's sixth home console. So they've "won" 3 gens out of the 5 they've been in = 60%.
The PS4 is Sony's fourth home console. So they've "won" 2 gens out of the 3 they've been in = 66.6%. The two times they "won", they did so by breaking sales record for both. PS and PS2 sold record numbers (104M and 157M respectively). The Wii is the only Nintendo console that managed to achieve similar results, so far, with 101M sold. So I don't see why you're trying to shit on Sony's success like you do here. 

You can't say Nintendo or Sony lost during the console generations in which they didn't even sell hardware. That doesn't make sense. In fact, your comment lacks quite a bit of common sense overall. : /

padib said:
RolStoppable said:
padib said:

Do you think the PS4 and Xbox are, in the market they've shoved themselves into, able to compete against Nintendo's games? Nintendo has built an arsenal of games that are fun and Sony has nothing to compete with.

Back in the day they had R&C, Crash, Parappa, lots of fun games. Today they have LoU and UC, GoW. Different times my Rol.

No, I don't think that Sony and Microsoft can compete with Nintendo games (not in the past, present or future). Which is precisely the reason why the Wii U is so damn stupid. There was a huge market for Nintendo to take, but they decided that they have to have the same games as Sony and Microsoft, so they are now left with a console that nobody wants to buy and as a result the games don't sell either.

It's true that neither Sony nor Microsoft can compete with Nintendo on most of Nintendo's turf, but they were able to grab part of it (Metroid fans definitely taken up by Halo in general imho) and with Kinect Sports Adventures MS even competed with the Wii. 15m is nothing to laugh at. However I still agree that Nintendo is still king of their current offerings.

The rest of your argument just doesn't make sense and is opinion. It's not based on any factual evidence. For example, they decided that they have to have the same games as Sony and MS? How so?

How are they left with a console that nobody wants by doing nothing but adding a gamepad (which is neither a main Sony or MS feature)?

You need to sturdy up this post, honestly.

Kinect Adventures was MASSIVELY bundled. It pretty much came with every Kinect. I hope you know that a Kinect Adventures without being bundled with Kinect WILL NOT do anything near 15 million. So how exactly did this compete with Nintendo? You can't be talking about Wii Sports( it was the Nintendo game that was also MASSIVELY bundled) because it did over 82 million.

..you really just attempted to give MS credit for this.. Hmm

The only thing that was "grabbed" from Nintendo was Rare and it's Nintendo known franchises.. 

Also, what do you mean when you say "metroid fans definitely taken up by Halo", Padib?

I'm curious

Hynad said:
Jay70sgamer said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:

Sony has won only two?

But... They've only had 3 gens so far. PS4 is the fourth, and it's still too early to tell even though they're leading quite comfortably so far.

The Wii U is Nintendo's sixth home console. So they've "won" 3 gens out of the 5 they've been in = 60%.
The PS4 is Sony's fourth home console. So they've "won" 2 gens out of the 3 they've been in = 66.6%. The two times they "won", they did so by breaking sales record for both. PS and PS2 sold record numbers (104M and 157M respectively). The Wii is the only Nintendo console that managed to achieve similar results, so far, with 101M sold. So I don't see why you're trying to shit on Sony's success like you do here. 

You can't say Nintendo or Sony lost during the console generations in which they didn't even sell hardware. That doesn't make sense. In fact, your comment lacks quite a bit of common sense overall. : /

I agree with you Hynad. And also Sony still hasn't lost the 7th generation as PS3's are still being manufactured and sold. Approximately 33% (~50million) of all PS2's were sold after the Ps3 and 360 had launched, and the PS3 will also sell a significant amount of consoles even now that the PS4 has launched, while the Wii, as we all know, barely sells anything now.

Edit: Heh, I just googled the question I had here, so nevermind. If you didn't se the question I had (which you probably didn't), then just ignore the Edit. Infact, just ignore it anyway. :D