By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If You're Over 30 And You Still Love Nintendo, You're Weird

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Killing does not make a game mature. Graphic violence makes a game mature. Fantasy violence involves killing, but done in a way that is not done in a graphic manner so children may view it and families may feel comfortable. Zelda is not graphic, but it features "fantasy violence". Metroid is not graphic. Gears of War is graphic. It features actual animations of what it means to truly kill someone. Thats is why it is mature. Children should not be seeing things like that. You're taking their years of innocence away from them even though at some point they may or may not be able to tell whether its real or fake.

Just because Nintendo publishes a game...doesnt mean its  "Nintendo" game that represents Nintendo. Bayonetta is being published by Nintendo but it does not represent the spirit of what Nintendo stands for. Nintendo is Disney...its meant for children and families and just like Disney....the children and family image wears off after certain generations even though it is still universally loved. This is why they are acquiring titles for a broader audience even though they arent internal offerings, no different than Disney bought Marvel and Lucas films. Bayonetta is the purest example of everything Nintendo isn't just like Rare. Rare existed to satisfy an audience Nintendo refuses to satisfy themselves.

Nintendo does "mature" . Its just not blatant, in-your-face, gritty mature. It's usually a subtle undertone.

Mature, adult themes don't have to come from an M rating, dark and gritty art style, blood-soaked combat, or swearing characters. They can be tackled smartly and maturely in games you would consider "kiddy." Sometimes in these games, those themes are still tackled with more deft than in many of the more "mature" games around. Look at the themes presented with Majora's Mask for example. It deals with people coming to terms with their own mortality, and how people accept, fear, and deny it. How many console games have manged to do this quite as well as that game did? Or look at the opening of Pixar's UP.

Chibi Robo deals with mental disability, drug addiction, death, love, failing marriage and more across the various stories of its characters. It's all very deft, and yet it takes place within a colorful, quirky world of sentient toys.

Fire Emblem deals with death, slavery, political corruption,  and on rare occasions, incest, infanticide, racism and genocide, they're not realy subtletly presented either. Even Pokemon had its' brush with genocide in X/Y and childhood abuse in B/W.

OoT had some dark moments with the ruined castle town and the well/shadow temple/ creepy ass forest temple.

Metroid can be pretty dark. In MP: Echoes the world is  hostile , the air is poisonous, there are freaky monsters, everything is grim, you are alone. THe MP storyline deals with the decay of civilsation, war between civilisations and I do believe genocide as well.

There are other examples, but the point is Nintendo's approach to game development isn't to create a plot, character or setting, with a "mature" story and gameplay. They didn't set out to build a dark, moody Zelda. They wanted to implement a time mechanic and that lead to a three day cycle that lead to a doomsday scenario that lead to the rest of what we now know about Majora's Mask, same thing with Pikmin. The undertones about loss, mourn, life and death, responsibility, etc emerged from the gameplay design. If it fits the game they will darken things up (like MM) but more often than not they can get away fine with building a game mostly for everyone

Besides, Brain Training, English Training and WiiFit are way more mature than practically any game out there. (lol)

Around the Network

Nintendo is certainly no guilty pleasure of mine, I'm pretty open about liking them and I don't think people that only play certain types of games to be actual serious gamers anyways, just super casuals.

Symbios63 said:
Got a wiiU two days ago for my 30th birthday...

Not looking good for me...

You are lucky that you just got it since now there are a lot of good games on it, I'm never buying any console on launch day again lol.

dahuman said:
Symbios63 said:

You are lucky that you just got it since now there are a lot of good games on it, I'm never buying any console on launch day again lol.

Lucky I am. But as it is my 30th birthday, I am not doing stuff like buying a new system day one anymore. Some good things about getting older...

Symbios63 said:
dahuman said:
Symbios63 said:

Lucky I am. But as it is my 30th birthday, I am not doing stuff like buying a new system day one anymore. Some good things about getting older...

<=past 30.... lol...

Around the Network
Play4Fun said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Killing does not make a game mature. Graphic violence makes a game mature. Fantasy violence involves killing, but done in a way that is not done in a graphic manner so children may view it and families may feel comfortable. Zelda is not graphic, but it features "fantasy violence". Metroid is not graphic. Gears of War is graphic. It features actual animations of what it means to truly kill someone. Thats is why it is mature. Children should not be seeing things like that. You're taking their years of innocence away from them even though at some point they may or may not be able to tell whether its real or fake.

Just because Nintendo publishes a game...doesnt mean its  "Nintendo" game that represents Nintendo. Bayonetta is being published by Nintendo but it does not represent the spirit of what Nintendo stands for. Nintendo is Disney...its meant for children and families and just like Disney....the children and family image wears off after certain generations even though it is still universally loved. This is why they are acquiring titles for a broader audience even though they arent internal offerings, no different than Disney bought Marvel and Lucas films. Bayonetta is the purest example of everything Nintendo isn't just like Rare. Rare existed to satisfy an audience Nintendo refuses to satisfy themselves.

Nintendo does "mature" . Its just not blatant, in-your-face, gritty mature. It's usually a subtle undertone.

Mature, adult themes don't have to come from an M rating, dark and gritty art style, blood-soaked combat, or swearing characters. They can be tackled smartly and maturely in games you would consider "kiddy." Sometimes in these games, those themes are still tackled with more deft than in many of the more "mature" games around. Look at the themes presented with Majora's Mask for example. It deals with people coming to terms with their own mortality, and how people accept, fear, and deny it. How many console games have manged to do this quite as well as that game did? Or look at the opening of Pixar's UP.

Chibi Robo deals with mental disability, drug addiction, death, love, failing marriage and more across the various stories of its characters. It's all very deft, and yet it takes place within a colorful, quirky world of sentient toys.

Fire Emblem deals with death, slavery, political corruption,  and on rare occasions, incest, infanticide, racism and genocide, they're not realy subtletly presented either. Even Pokemon had its' brush with genocide in X/Y and childhood abuse in B/W.

OoT had some dark moments with the ruined castle town and the well/shadow temple/ creepy ass forest temple.

Metroid can be pretty dark. In MP: Echoes the world is  hostile , the air is poisonous, there are freaky monsters, everything is grim, you are alone. THe MP storyline deals with the decay of civilsation, war between civilisations and I do believe genocide as well.

There are other examples, but the point is Nintendo's approach to game development isn't to create a plot, character or setting, with a "mature" story and gameplay. They didn't set out to build a dark, moody Zelda. They wanted to implement a time mechanic and that lead to a three day cycle that lead to a doomsday scenario that lead to the rest of what we now know about Majora's Mask, same thing with Pikmin. The undertones about loss, mourn, life and death, responsibility, etc emerged from the gameplay design. If it fits the game they will darken things up (like MM) but more often than not they can get away fine with building a game mostly for everyone

Besides, Brain Training, English Training and WiiFit are way more mature than practically any game out there. (lol)

Just because games are or have some sort of political or social intrigue it doesnt mean its mature. Mature just means not for the eyes of teenagers or children. It just means those developers have a sense of maturity when making those games. I think we're all talking about two different things. The terrorist scene in COD:MW2 was definitely not for the eyes of children but guess how many children got their hands on that game because their parents just dont care.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Just because games are or have some sort of political or social intrigue it doesnt mean its mature. Mature just means not for the eyes of teenagers or children. It just means those developers have a sense of maturity when making those games. I think we're all talking about two different things. The terrorist scene in COD:MW2 was definitely not for the eyes of children but guess how many children got their hands on that game because their parents just dont care.

Then axt11 and wright were right,this thread is about  violence, cursing, nudity and killing (mature content) and less about actual mature subjects in games. In which case, I don't get why you were arguing with them before.

Play4Fun said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Then axt11 and wright were right,this thread is about  violence, cursing, nudity and killing (mature content) and less about actual mature subjects in games. In which case, I don't get why you were arguing with them before.

There are plenty of mature games that deal with mature subjects, but they are arguing themselves into a wall when they are complaining about a rating. Based on what this topic is about, Nintendo is, was and always will be thought of as a toy compared to the competition and I doubt they really care. It is sad that an adult over thirty would get ridiculed for playing Nintendo since Nintendo is supposed to be the "fun for everyone" brand.

To be honest, gaming and anime people make my skin crawl. Thank god I don't know what any of you look like.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

There are plenty of mature games that deal with mature subjects, but they are arguing themselves into a wall when they are complaining about a rating. Based on what this topic is about, Nintendo is, was and always will be thought of as a toy compared to the competition and I doubt they really care. It is sad that an adult over thirty would get ridiculed for playing Nintendo since Nintendo is supposed to be the "fun for everyone" brand.

They never complained about rating. They were both saying the violence, killing (and other M-rated content)  present in those games are the reason people think they're mature and you seemingly disagreed with them even though you kept saying things like, " killing doesn't make games mature, graphic violence makes games mature." Which doesn't make any sense and it's no wonder Wright thought you were going in circles and bowed out of the thread.

Anyways, the only reason I jumped in was to refute your assessment that Nintendo doesn't do mature and I already disproved that so need for me to continue.