By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo make another handheld?

3DS is Final Nintendo traditional handheld

Yes 73 24.58%

No 224 75.42%

Total:297

Nope! Nintendo will obviously leave the handheld business because they don't want to make money!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

My feeling is that most of the handheld market's shrinking has already occurred. So if the 3DS ends up around 70 million sold lifetime, the "4DS" or whatever would sell at least 50 million; enough to justify it being supported heavily for at least half a decade, especially with the rising attach rates handhelds are offering. And that's assuming Nintendo doesn't come up with a revolutionary new piece of hardware or software that boosts the market ala Pokemon or the DS.

What will change is that a larger portion of games will probably be digital only, and shovelware will largely disappear. But so long as Nintendo makes smart decisions in terms of making hardware easy to make/port games for, they should get by on the handheld front.

Nintendo's big question should be "how do we make handhelds an essential device for at least one demographic?" Currently, that niche is filled by smartphones. The 4DS could try competing as a multimedia device, like the PSP did with some success, or it could find a way to create a new necessity in peoples' lives like the Game Boy, NES, PS1, and Wii before it.

Love and tolerate.

MAN your pole question is like the opposite to your title,

I wonder how many people read the topic and clicked YES lol.

To answer the topic sure they will.

jlrx said:
benji232 said:
NintendoPie said:
benji232 said:

That's the problem, they definetly wont surpass gba sales. I even have a hard time imagining 3ds selling 60M units+ meaning the 3DS will be by far the worst selling Nintendo handheld ever.

It's certainly going to sell 60 Million, but the problem here is definitely if it's going to outsell the GBA or not. The GBA is technically the lowest selling Nintendo Handheld ever, and a downward trend in Nintendo's best-selling platform is not a good thing.

It's currently at around 43M units sold and it's on track to sell 7.5m-8m units this year which would put it at around 50M units and we know how quickly Nintendo handhelds decline in terms of sales once they announce the successor which you can definetly expect them to do in 2015. So where are they going to get these other 10million units sales? If it sells 8m units this year, then you can definetly expect it to sell no more then 5m units in 2015 and then it's going to crash and burn from there in terms of sales.

EDIT: The only way that I can see them changing the sales trajectory for 3ds is with a superior redesign that could justify an upgrade for current owners and that could potentially reach to the consumers who weren't interested in the 3ds family.

I completely disagree that they are definetly going to announce a successor in 2015, why would they? In their market they are #1 and it was not long ago they brought the current system into profitability, expect 3 more years out of the 3ds before you hear a whisper of a successor

They are definetly not going to pull another 3 years out of a system that's is down 50% YoY and is already on track to sell only 8m units this year. Their next handheld is almost surely coming out in 2015-2016.

Unless they have a major redesign in the works that could boost 3ds sales by 50-75% which I highly doubt.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

If Pokemon didn't exist, I would have my doubts. But as long as that game is popular, Nintendo is saved.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
jlrx said:
benji232 said:
NintendoPie said:
benji232 said:

That's the problem, they definetly wont surpass gba sales. I even have a hard time imagining 3ds selling 60M units+ meaning the 3DS will be by far the worst selling Nintendo handheld ever.

It's certainly going to sell 60 Million, but the problem here is definitely if it's going to outsell the GBA or not. The GBA is technically the lowest selling Nintendo Handheld ever, and a downward trend in Nintendo's best-selling platform is not a good thing.

It's currently at around 43M units sold and it's on track to sell 7.5m-8m units this year which would put it at around 50M units and we know how quickly Nintendo handhelds decline in terms of sales once they announce the successor which you can definetly expect them to do in 2015. So where are they going to get these other 10million units sales? If it sells 8m units this year, then you can definetly expect it to sell no more then 5m units in 2015 and then it's going to crash and burn from there in terms of sales.

EDIT: The only way that I can see them changing the sales trajectory for 3ds is with a superior redesign that could justify an upgrade for current owners and that could potentially reach to the consumers who weren't interested in the 3ds family.

I completely disagree that they are definetly going to announce a successor in 2015, why would they? In their market they are #1 and it was not long ago they brought the current system into profitability, expect 3 more years out of the 3ds before you hear a whisper of a successor

I agree 3DS successor 2017 Wii U successor 2018 

IMO they should just make a more powerful 3ds HD that has full BC. Shoot for 1280x720 + 960x480 combo.

The 3ds is a powerhouse.I myself have one and why would Nintendo stop making handhelds when they sell better than the consoles?