By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu in trouble with no third party support

3DS barely enjoys better 3rd party support than the Wii U, and it's doing okay. Nintendo just needs to step it up with their first party releases.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
Samus Aran said:

I'm not playing games for any of that bullshit you just mentioned. I go by looks alone, and Zelda obliterated pretty much any game shown on PS4. Oh wait, there wasn't a single PS4 game shown that didn't run on a high end PC. Definitely not Arkham Knight at least. Is Zelda U better technically? How could it be? It's on a weaker console. Yet it still can hold its own easily thanks to the great artstyle, attention of detail and polish Nintendo put in this title. 

Have fun playing One Piece Unlimited World Red, think all you want how it looks just as great, but me and many others will have a lot more fun with Zelda U. 

I'll buy TW3, on pc. The superior version. And yes, it looks great, but not every game has to be super realistic. 

You're making a lot of assumptions on a very short ingame gameplay vid.

edit: just looked at a One Piece trailer. LMAO, you're full of it if you think that game looks remotely close to Zelda U. 

One Piece will be on Wii U as well

Why does that matter? I don't even like One Piece the anime. 

IgnoraE. said:
K? ungKras said:
Fuck thiprofitsies.

Nintendo didn't need them to create the Wii, and they won't need them to make another sucbecause ey just haven't realized yet that they have to invest in more developers of their own.

Dude....Ubisoft had been saying since 2011 that there would need to be specific specs for next gen consoles. Nintendo ignored the writing on the wall three years ago. Nintendo could've had third parties but they were too ignorant iso care in the process of developing their console. By the time their console was ready to come out they contactDogs ed devs, but the gen was already over. It was too little too late. Thats what happens when you're creative but cut yourself off from the rest of the world. Its blissful ignorance and Nintendo is known to be one of the most ignorant companies in the industry.

Ignorant Company? If you call long term profits ignonance then i feel sorry for you. The fact that Sony can barely be profitable every console because it shells half their profits to locking up third party exclusives and the another 1/4 in advertising shows how Sony is all about short term and winning every console war, which failed miserably last gen and will this gen too. FPS and amazing graphics are getting old. people want fun and innovating games now. Graphically there is no huge leap like there was from PS2 to PS3, just the power now. I mean Ubisoft s big deal on Watch Dogs was there will be different people everytime you enter a place. I mean really that is the big draw to the PS4 is the randomization it does. Nintendo isnt ignorant in making consoles they are innovative and they can see beyond 5 years how a good company should. 

justinian said:
Zod95 said:
We already knew Wii U had lost the 3rd party support. First, because of its design decisions (it's a piece of 7th gen tech). Then, because of the miserable 3rd party sales. That was a given already before E3.

You really can't lose something you never really had. Those half baked attempts by EA for example where nothing serious.

Nintendo never really ever had GOOD 3rd party support when compared to the opposition. I am talking of the modern console age, not the NES era.

What truly amazes me is that Nintendo themselves haven't figured this out. So rather than invest some of that money in developing studios they sit on their asses and bemoan the third parties.

If you are going to build systems like Nintendo do, then hope for a gimmick that work to draw sales (like the wiimote) or back it yourself.

They have come to the conclusion that they have to find their own software for the system by buying exclusives like Bayonetta or producing their own but these things take time and should have been planned long ago. 

If Nintendo releases another home console chances are we will see this same scenario being played out all over again as with this and the last gen. Someone just isn't learning.

I really hope the Wii u can get to GameCube sales figures. That will be a relative success. 

whats there to figure out? they either go the WIi route and pray that works or they try to fight Sony and MS on their terms which NEVER works. Which are they going to choose? Sure you could argue going the Sony/MS route will help secure some 3rd party games but it didnt help GC that much, hell look how much the big 3rd party games on WIi U sold. Pretty pathetic. 

One thing nintendo should do is stop charging royalty fees for the big publishers. They arent getting any third party games as it is, so its not like they'll be missing out on anymore money. That would entice some publishers to release more of their games, because they would get to keep all of the money. That would be beneficial to nintendo too, because there would be more games coming. And, to prevent a bunch of shitty shovelware, deny any and averything thats not worthwile. Free to release titles should go through a qualifying process. This may sound crazy, but they need to do something, instead of nothing, to attempt to bring in some of the bigger 3rd party titles.....

Around the Network
Zod95 said:

--------

Man stop. Wii U is stronger than PS3. Is a fact. Deal with it. Gran Turismo is better than Kario Kart 8? Yes. But GT5 is not a kart racer. And The Last Guardian better than Zelda U? What a joke. Nintendo confirmed that was in-engine video, not a CGI, so please stop.

Wii U is not on par with PS4 or X1, we all know that. But is time to move on.

Click HERE and be happy 

justinian said:
Zod95 said:
We already knew Wii U had lost the 3rd party support. First, because of its design decisions (it's a piece of 7th gen tech). Then, because of the miserable 3rd party sales. That was a given already before E3.

You really can't lose something you never really had. Those half baked attempts by EA for example where nothing serious.

Nintendo never really ever had GOOD 3rd party support when compared to the opposition. I am talking of the modern console age, not the NES era.

What truly amazes me is that Nintendo themselves haven't figured this out. So rather than invest some of that money in developing studios they sit on their asses and bemoan the third parties.

If you are going to build systems like Nintendo do, then hope for a gimmick that work to draw sales (like the wiimote) or back it yourself.

They have come to the conclusion that they have to find their own software for the system by buying exclusives like Bayonetta or producing their own but these things take time and should have been planned long ago. 

If Nintendo releases another home console chances are we will see this same scenario being played out all over again as with this and the last gen. Someone just isn't learning.

I really hope the Wii u can get to GameCube sales figures. That will be a relative success. 

1 - That is your example. Mine are: Batman Arkham and Assassin's Creed, which Wii never had and Wii U got it without any proven sales. And there may be more.

2  - You may tell that, but some devs actually took a leap of faith with the Wii U and got screwed. They won't try again and others that were eventually thinking on supporting the console changed their minds too.

Things must start somewhere and I shouldn't despise the opportunities. If I start a business and get some clients, I will certainly expand and get more clients if I please the first ones. But if, on the contrary, I produce awful results for them, they won't come again and I will not expand my business. I shouldn't complain because I didn't get the entire world right from the start and I shouldn't blame the clients (who actually took a leap of faith supporting me without knowing what would the results be). That childish attitude is completely wrong and it's just as bad as the awful results I produced for my clients.

3 - That's exactly right. Nintendo has plenty of money to do something. With the resources they have, they could create more studios and expand the ones that they have already. Then, they could create far more games per year, develop new IPs, try new game concepts and explore new genres. They don't need 3rd party support to be successful. If they earn it that's even better but they don't need it. Who needs hundreds of games? No gamer buys as many. Nintendo would just need to develop 30 or 40 good new titles per year (and that is totally possible if they put their money to work), ranging from the post popular genres to some niches and with the quality Nintendo is able to deliver. What they did on this E3 was already a start. If they continue on this path they will definitely get there.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

I never thought I'd say this but GameCube or Wii levels of third party support look pretty good right about now.

I'd even (gulp) take a on-rails Resident Evil game so long as its HD at this point.

In hindsight I think Nintendo if they had to do it all over again, would've been better off making a "Super Wii" for fall 2011 (one year extra to build userbase) with no tablet pad and just used a customized versions of the 4850 AMD GPU that was in earlier dev kits, which was a good deal more powerful than a 360/PS3. And maybe pushed out the Amiibo idea a year earlier too.

Samus Aran said:

I'm not playing games for any of that bullshit you just mentioned. I go by looks alone, and Zelda obliterated pretty much any game shown on PS4. Oh wait, there wasn't a single PS4 game shown that didn't run on a high end PC. Definitely not Arkham Knight at least. Is Zelda U better technically? How could it be? It's on a weaker console. Yet it still can hold its own easily thanks to the great artstyle, attention of detail and polish Nintendo put in this title. 

Have fun playing One Piece Unlimited World Red, think all you want how it looks just as great, but me and many others will have a lot more fun with Zelda U. 

I'll buy TW3, on pc. The superior version. And yes, it looks great, but not every game has to be super realistic. 

You're making a lot of assumptions on a very short ingame gameplay vid.

edit: just looked at a One Piece trailer. LMAO, you're full of it if you think that game looks remotely close to Zelda U. 

*smh* You cant tell the difference between talking about graphics and gameplay either. I talked about similar cell shading, and how much a SIMPLE bloom+cell shading filter applied to a game like Skyrim would eaily pass for Zelda U. I didnt mention your favorite scapegoat "fun copyright © 2014 Nintendo. All right reserved" anywhere. As for PCs The Order, The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 were all running on a PS4 and they look very impressive (technically)

One piece with no cell shading (meh)

One piece closeup with cell shading (vivid)

Zelda closeup with cell shading

Zelda vista with cell shading

Skyrim vista with no cell shading (yes, you can walk to those mountains too if you want). Cell shading would all but eliminate blurry textures.

Why do I talk about filters so much, because bloom alone can make a scene look amazing. This isnt self promotion but me trying to make a point.

A scene from my own game with no bloom (boring)

A scene from my own game with bloom (vivid)

Only a mere bloom filter makes the second screenshot look so much better than the first, its no surprise as to why Nintendo spam it (and DoF) in all of their Wii U games. Im no tech expert but as someone who learned OpenGL 3 as a hobby and has screwed around with this stuff for over a year I dont think Zelda is doing anything mindblowing from a technical stand point, its art however was a smart (and deliberate) move.  My opinion, sue me.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

One Piece looks meh in both cases. Game looks like a cheap PS3/XBOX360 game.