By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu in trouble with no third party support

SubiyaCryolite said:
Samus Aran said:

Zelda looks graphically better than anything you showed on PS3. I dare even say it looks better than a lot of XBONE or PS4 games. It has a great artstyle, something you can't say of GT5 or even that trailer from the Last Guardian which didn't look remotely special to me. 

You need to learn how to differentiate between art and tech. Team Fortress looks better than Left 4 Dead 2 and yet it runs on an older version of the Source Engine. The Witcher 3 and the next gen Elder Scrolls will totally decimate Zelda from a technical standpoint. Heck I'm willing to bet Zelda wont have a single town as big and detailed as the locations we've seen in the Witcher or even Dragon Age Origins thus far. 

Zelda's art style means the game wont need sub surface scattering, it wont need complex facial animation, it wont need a thousand bones and mocap, it wont need volumetric smoke, it wont need per-object motion blur, it wont need 1,000,000 particles on screen, it wont need hundreds of light sources, it wont need simulated weather, it wont need tessellated waves, it wont need apex clothing, it wont need bokeh depth of field, it wont need horizon based ambient occlusion.

If you disagree then please tell me in technical terms how Zelda competes with a typical XBox One or PS4 game? Emphasis on technical terms, not that "looks good to me" BS. Huge vistas have been done before in Skyrim so what's so mind-blowing (technically) about Zelda. The only thing worth bragging about is the large amount of grass present in the foreground while Link is on Epona. I don't think console versions of Skyrim had that much vegetation on the plains. Cell shading and bloom wont impress me when freaking One Piece Unlimited World Red uses a similar form of it and that'll be on the 360 and PS3 as well.

I'm not saying Zelda is ugly or unimpressive, I'm just not hyping it up to be something its not. This will end up like Mario Kart 8 all over again. Promise the world yet something like Forza 4 offers identical performance in 720p with hardware anti aliasing on top.

I'm not playing games for any of that bullshit you just mentioned. I go by looks alone, and Zelda obliterated pretty much any game shown on PS4. Oh wait, there wasn't a single PS4 game shown that didn't run on a high end PC. Definitely not Arkham Knight at least. Is Zelda U better technically? How could it be? It's on a weaker console. Yet it still can hold its own easily thanks to the great artstyle, attention of detail and polish Nintendo put in this title. 

Have fun playing One Piece Unlimited World Red, think all you want how it looks just as great, but me and many others will have a lot more fun with Zelda U. 

I'll buy TW3, on pc. The superior version. And yes, it looks great, but not every game has to be super realistic. 

You're making a lot of assumptions on a very short ingame gameplay vid.

edit: just looked at a One Piece trailer. LMAO, you're full of it if you think that game looks remotely close to Zelda U. 

Around the Network

The Wii U is my main console, but in this situation the Wii U is only going to be the main console for Nintendo fans like me. While everyone else will get a PS4 or an Xbone first, many of them will hopefully realize that the Wii U has a lot more to offer as a secondary console than the other one. PS4 and Xbone are pretty similar in terms of both games and power.

It's sad to see Nintendo's third party support disappear completely. It's far worse now than it's been ever before.
- N64: Almost no support from Japanese companies at all, but it was heavily supported by American companies EA, LucasArts, Midway, Acclaim and THQ. It had quite a few high profile exclusive games (obviously not in comparison to the PSOne).
- GC: It got a lot of multiplatform games as all competing platforms were pretty equal in power. Japanese publishers Capcom, Square Enix and Namco supported it. Fewer exclusive games than the N64 though and no GTA.
- Wii: That thing got a LOT of third party support, most of it was sadly shovelware, casual games and watered down ports. There was some quality in there as well, but most of those games were too niche to sell even remotely close to the AAA third party games the HD twins received.

In addition to a great lineup of indie titles, I can see the Wii U only getting child friendly games like Skylanders, Infinity and Sonic and casual games like Just Dance. Bandai Namco, Sega, Tecmo Koei and Platinum Games will probably stay loyal to Nintendo no matter what, but those companies don't create many games and unless the Wii U maintains it's current momentum other publishers will stay away for good.

mjo011 said:
The Wii U is my main console, but in this situation the Wii U is only going to be the main console for Nintendo fans like me. While everyone else will get a PS4 or an Xbone first, many of them will hopefully realize that the Wii U has a lot more to offer as a secondary console than the other one. PS4 and Xbone are pretty similar in terms of both games and power.

It's sad to see Nintendo's third party support disappear completely. It's far worse now than it's been ever before.
- N64: Almost no support from Japanese companies at all, but it was heavily supported by American companies EA, LucasArts, Midway, Acclaim and THQ. It had quite a few high profile exclusive games (obviously not in comparison to the PSOne).
- GC: It got a lot of multiplatform games as all competing platforms were pretty equal in power. Japanese publishers Capcom, Square Enix and Namco supported it. Fewer exclusive games than the N64 though and no GTA.
- Wii: That thing got a LOT of third party support, most of it was sadly shovelware, casual games and watered down ports. There was some quality in there as well, but most of those games were too niche to sell even remotely close to the AAA third party games the HD twins received.

In addition to a great lineup of indie titles, I can see the Wii U only getting child friendly games like Skylanders, Infinity and Sonic and casual games like Just Dance. Bandai Namco, Tecmo Koei and Platinum games will probably stay loyal to Nintendo no matter what, but unless the Wii U maintains it's current momentum other publishers will stay away for good.

I think you're underestimating the amount of people that have a decent PC and Wii U. Best combination IMO. 

I was just thinking about this earlier today. I was like why can't Activision release SC2 on Wii U (I'm sure if they got SC to work on N64 they could get SC2 to work with the gamepad or wiimote)?  Why don't they release Diablo 3 on Wii U? Is it too dark and gory for us Nintendo gamers? Do they think it won't sell? I'm sure both those games would sell at least 1m+.

Ubisoft last major game seems to be Watch Dogs for Wii U. If that somehow sells more than expected then perhaps Ubisoft will support Nintendo more in future. Don't really care too much because I never was a big Ubisoft fan.

As for EA. Fuck them (been saying this since the late 90s)

Nintendo once had the #1 3rd party systems (NES, SNES, GB, DS) and should do whatever it costs to get back to 1st place. Even if this means spending money to acquire shares of all important 3rd party developers to ensure Wii-U support.

Also once again, Nintendo needs to make the tablet optional because it scares away potential customers and is the No. 1 reason why potential buyers who are already interested in the games are not getting a Wii-U.

Even if many buyers end up liking the oversized and low battery tablet controller eventually, for potential buyers this is hard to imagine and most of them will never give the tablet a chance and try it out. Drop it.

Around the Network

why u people dont get it... nintendo doesnt care for AAA 3rd party support because nintendo is a software powerhouse, they make the most profits with games, not with consolesales. the wii u will have the highest selling firstparty games this gen.
sony will sell most consoles this gen, nintendo most 1stparty and m$ the xboxbrand...

But they need to care if they want to be financially successful and plan to rule the market again.

etking said:

But they need to care if they want to be financially successful and plan to rule the market again.

The Wii didn't rule the market because of 3rd party support.  Did some 3rd party games help?  Sure (mainly Just Dance games come to my mind since they sold 10m+).  However, Nintendo is what caused the Wii to sell so much.  Third party games were an afterthought on the system.  Sure you can say that was because of the casuals and they are all gone now.  Well perhaps Nintendo can sucker some of them back from the pathetic world of smartphone and tablet gaming.

justinian said:
Zod95 said:
We already knew Wii U had lost the 3rd party support. First, because of its design decisions (it's a piece of 7th gen tech). Then, because of the miserable 3rd party sales. That was a given already before E3.

You really can't lose something you never really had. Those half baked attempts by EA for example where nothing serious.

Nintendo never really ever had GOOD 3rd party support when compared to the opposition. I am talking of the modern console age, not the NES era.

What truly amazes me is that Nintendo themselves haven't figured this out. So rather than invest some of that money in developing studios they sit on their asses and bemoan the third parties.

If you are going to build systems like Nintendo do, then hope for a gimmick that work to draw sales (like the wiimote) or back it yourself.

They have come to the conclusion that they have to find their own software for the system by buying exclusives like Bayonetta or producing their own but these things take time and should have been planned long ago. 

If Nintendo releases another home console chances are we will see this same scenario being played out all over again as with this and the last gen. Someone just isn't learning.

I really hope the Wii u can get to GameCube sales figures. That will be a relative success. 

Half baked? I don't know. NFS:MWU is pretty f'ng gorgeous for what it is...

PattonFiend said:

Half baked? I don't know. NFS:MWU is pretty f'ng gorgeous for what it is...

That was the only EA published game that wasn't half assed (thanks to Criterion which EA successfully rewarded them with layoffs).  Madden, FIFA, ME3 (should have been trilogy), and whatever else they released were all half assed on the Wii U.  Perhaps people just ignored NFS after being shitted on for so long by EA.