By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Boosts Wii U Sales 400% in Americas

fleischr said:
Seece said:
fleischr said:
If I recall correctly (and correct me politely if I'm wrong), NPD had higher numbers for the WiiU for the last few months than what VGC had.

Given that Nintendo's confirmation 1.2 million games were sold and assuming the 18% attach rate is consistent worldwide(not just NA), that actually puts WiiU total hardware in the neighborhood of 6.6-6.7 million LTD -- possible confirmation that WiiU is undertracked?

No. We know sales before MK were at around 6.1m, hardware hasn't risen 500k to 600k in the last week.

The global attach rate would have to  be 19%+. That would mean an attach rate well above 20% for both Europe and Japan. Do you think that's actually the case?

It makes a lot more sense than you applying that figure across the globe. We have shipments and sales trackers to tell us sales are nowhere near 6.6m.

Around the Network
OfficerRaichu15 said:

well clyde i gotta disagree we really dont know since the 6.17 million offcial sold came 2 weeks before mk8 week

However that was just through end of FY2013, which ended March 31st.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

OfficerRaichu15 said:

well clyde i gotta disagree we really dont know since the 6.17 million offcial sold came 2 weeks before mk8 week

More than three weeks actually. Yet here's what we have from VGchartz, the week before Mario Kart arrived, Wii U apparently sold 30k units WW. Vgchartz total was 6.20 at that time. So what happened to those other two weeks?

Also, you seriously need to start quoting posts. It makes it easier to know who you are talking to. 

Seece said:
Clyde32 said:
Lol that's cute. You do realize that if it was undertracked before, then the percentage would be correct right?

How do you know it isn't overtracked? Oh yeah you don't. As far as I can see nobody is saying it's either for definite, just working with what we know (the averages of last month).

Train wreck said:

But Nintendo, is like, going out of its way to tell us that this "one game" has had a similar effects in boosting hardware and junk. I mean like OMG!  Wouldn't you say that there is something special about this "one game"?

What are you even on about, Train wreck? Get to the point and make it matter. 

boy this is gonna get fun
piplup seece FIGHT!
jk jk
but its getting tense O_O

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Around the Network
Seece said:
fleischr said:
Seece said:
fleischr said:
If I recall correctly (and correct me politely if I'm wrong), NPD had higher numbers for the WiiU for the last few months than what VGC had.

Given that Nintendo's confirmation 1.2 million games were sold and assuming the 18% attach rate is consistent worldwide(not just NA), that actually puts WiiU total hardware in the neighborhood of 6.6-6.7 million LTD -- possible confirmation that WiiU is undertracked?

No. We know sales before MK were at around 6.1m, hardware hasn't risen 500k to 600k in the last week.

The global attach rate would have to  be 19%+. That would mean an attach rate well above 20% for both Europe and Japan. Do you think that's actually the case?

It makes a lot more sense than you applying that figure across the globe. We have shipments and sales trackers to tell us sales are nowhere near 6.6m.

So that settles it. MK8 had a 20%+ attach rate across the rest of the world.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
Seece said:

So that settles it. MK8 had a 20%+ attach rate across the rest of the world.

Remember to cut your quote trees.

We already knew it was around 20% from the PR release? 1.2m on a 6m~ userbase.

NintendoPie said:
Train wreck said:

But Nintendo, is like, going out of its way to tell us that this "one game" has had a similar effects in boosting hardware and junk. I mean like OMG!  Wouldn't you say that there is something special about this "one game"?

What are you even on about, Train wreck? Get to the point and make it matter. 

Seece: Boost from Mario Kart 8 is just ok

Nintendopie: Just "ok", you had a system no one wanted and one game propelled it to great hardware numbers! Whats wrong with you Seece?

Me.  Just "one game" (I dont consider mario kart just a random "one game", most likely the Wii U's most anticipated release)

NintendoPie: Yes just one game, mario kart releasing for the Wii U last week.

Me: Mario kart has shown in the past that it has the ability to move hardware...by like a lot.  Nintendo themselves compared it to the last iteration of Mario Kart, 7, which did a boost of 2.7x for the 3DS.  The Wii U with its low baseline in the US did not have much of a hurdle to jump 400% from a game of this calibur.  Seece's use of" OK" seem more than fine to me.

fleischr said:
Seece said:
fleischr said:

Are you forgetting about a few countries there?

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

NintendoPie said:
Seece said:

It's not a huge boost. For comparison, when the Xbox 360 slim launched (with no price cut) sales went above 100k in the UK alone, that's double what MK has achieved in the US, a country that sells on average 5 times more.

MGS4 on PS3 (a system that at the time was not doing well, propelled sales in the US to 406,000

150k~ is what 360, PS3 did on average all last gen.

In the grand scheme of things it's good % wise, good 'news' for Nintendo, but the actual bump is not huge by any margin.

The Wii U was doing ~30k in the weeks pre-MK8, it went up to nearly 190k. To act like the Wii U is even close to the situations of the XB360 and the PS3 were in is ridiculous. You've seen the numbers and you know the Wii U has been doing considerably worse than the PS3 or 360. Going up nearly 160k WW is an achievement for a console that is doing so terribly in all sense of the word.

A figure I personally disagree with but time shall tell. Any system can go up 150k+ if they release a huge game for it, why is this such a surprise to you? The numbers in themselves are not huge, that is what I'm saying.