By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U: The Zelda title the Wii U deserves, but not the one it needs?

Wyrdness said:

The are people like that sure but I don't think I agree that it'll affect the game's sales as much like people think.

I dunno; since the rise of the dudebro gamer over the last decade, a fear of appearing childish has become very prevalent in the gaming community.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

The are people like that sure but I don't think I agree that it'll affect the game's sales as much like people think.

I dunno; since the rise of the dudebro gamer over the last decade, a fear of appearing childish has become very prevalent in the gaming community.

Problem is the dudebro gamer was never going to bother with Zelda regardless because even if it used a more realistic visual style it still doesn't have the typical things they look for (blood, violence, shooting, risque content etc...), for Zelda to appeal to them the actual game would need to become something else entirely, Zelda is not a game to shift units but one to light up a gaming library. Imo the game will at least hit 3m and eventually cross 4m as it appeals to people with a different or wider taste in games and has for a while now. The U has one of the strongest attach rates of any platform released as well.

Arius Dion said:
Same shit different gen. Show a great tech demo then pull the okey doke and bust out a lame anime cel-shaded 'creative' artstyle. Smh, Why can't the Zelda team, with Aonuma at its helm, deliver what the majority of fans are yearning for?

The proof is in the pudding, Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda since OoT, SS was a sale flop, WWHD is a non factor for Wii U momentum.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Its like going to an ice cream shop because outside there is a banner that shows a vanilla ice cream cone, you walk in and the owner tells you, well we wanted to try something different, here's butter pecan sorbet. Wtf?

Tbh, though, after SS why would people be excited about Zelda again? The game was terrible.

Lol, what a bunch of whining for a beautiful artstyle. Zelda is about the gameplay. 

Skyward Sword sold poorly because it came out on a dying console (game took way too much development time) and used the Wiimotion+ peripheral. The game looks nothing like WWHD and Skyward Sword anyway. 

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

Problem is the dudebro gamer was never going to bother with Zelda regardless because even if it used a more realistic visual style it still doesn't have the typical things they look for (blood, violence, shooting, risque content etc...), for Zelda to appeal to them the actual game would need to become something else entirely, Zelda is not a game to shift units but one to light up a gaming library. Imo the game will at least hit 3m and eventually cross 4m as it appeals to people with a different or wider taste in games and has for a while now. The U has one of the strongest attach rates of any platform released as well.

It wouldn't have needed boobs and guns, a Twilight Princess approach in tech demo graphics would have been enough for many. Something they could show off as "Zelda is cool again" to their friends.

Zelda can be a system seller; even this version, anime graphics and all, will boost sales will it comes out.

Arius Dion said:
Same shit different gen. Show a great tech demo then pull the okey doke and bust out a lame anime cel-shaded 'creative' artstyle. Smh, Why can't the Zelda team, with Aonuma at its helm, deliver what the majority of fans are yearning for?

The proof is in the pudding, Twilight Princess was the best selling Zelda since OoT, SS was a sale flop, WWHD is a non factor for Wii U momentum.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Its like going to an ice cream shop because outside there is a banner that shows a vanilla ice cream cone, you walk in and the owner tells you, well we wanted to try something different, here's butter pecan sorbet. Wtf?

Tbh, though, after SS why would people be excited about Zelda again? The game was terrible.

SS was a subpar game in ways far beyond just opinion on graphical fidelity, it just wasn't that well made. A lot of barren, empty land and useless floating islands with singular chests on them. The content was recycled far too much, and the combat was sticky. The game faced way to long of a development time (largely because of the wii motion controls) and came out far too late into the Wii's by-then declining relevance for anyone.

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:

Tbh, though, after SS why would people be excited about Zelda again?

Because Skyward Sword was fantastic. :p

The combat and dungeon design are some of the best out there.

VanceIX said:

Let me start off by saying that the graphics looks absolutely breathtaking, and the new Link is already one of my favorites, and I haven't even played the game yet!

Now, what I'm trying to say is that while the graphical style is breathtaking, it might not be what's best for the Wii U in terms of financial success. The graphics style is reminent of Skyward Sword, with some of the effects from Wind Waker HD thrown in. It looks artistically beautiful, but in the end I doubt it sways too many people to purchase a Wii U, at least compared to a realistic Zelda.

A Zelda like the one shown in E3 would probably move more Wii U units, as many gamers today put graphics over everything, as shortsighted as that is. This Zelda is more original, sure, but it'll have a much tougher time moving units than a realistic Zelda.

I feel like this is the type of title we should see at the end of the generation, kind of like how Skyward Sword came out at the end of last gen, while a realistic Zelda should have come first to help with the Wii U's sales.

Once again, I'm not saying that the artstyle is bad. By all means, it's amazing, And I'm sure that it will be an amazing title, especially with the more open gameplay mechanics.

the one that was shown on the first impression with the realistic zelda took my heart. this one gave me the feeling of windwaker. surely its a good game but i feel like misled by nintendo. the same what happened with alien colonial marines with the good graphics. and then when the game came out we got dreamcast graphics for alien colonial marines.

then again im gonna buy it cause it gonna be a good game. but still they misled me and i dont forget that

curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

It wouldn't have needed boobs and guns, a Twilight Princess approach in tech demo graphics would have been enough for many. Something they could show off as "Zelda is cool again" to their friends.

Zelda can be a system seller; even this version, anime graphics and all, will boost sales will it comes out.

No it wouldn't otherwise many other games with that graphical approach would have done better, the are games already out that have that visual approach you're heavily overestimating that visual approach's overall affect, the people you're referring to only care about the CODs and such and are oblivious to anything outside of such games. The only people it would have been enough for are already Zelda fans or already have an interest in it, Zelda has never really been a massive system seller since OOT and a lot of that was due to the jump to 3D, it's always been a complimentary AAA title for the library, MK8, Smash, NSMB, Wii Series etc... These are the system sellers while Zelda is one of those games like Last of Us which are much better games and compliment the system sellers. This is why Nintendo has been securing games like Bayonetta 2 and DT because these are the games that catch that demographics attention not Zelda.

Semmie said:
VanceIX said:

Let me start off by saying that the graphics looks absolutely breathtaking, and the new Link is already one of my favorites, and I haven't even played the game yet!

Now, what I'm trying to say is that while the graphical style is breathtaking, it might not be what's best for the Wii U in terms of financial success. The graphics style is reminent of Skyward Sword, with some of the effects from Wind Waker HD thrown in. It looks artistically beautiful, but in the end I doubt it sways too many people to purchase a Wii U, at least compared to a realistic Zelda.

A Zelda like the one shown in E3 would probably move more Wii U units, as many gamers today put graphics over everything, as shortsighted as that is. This Zelda is more original, sure, but it'll have a much tougher time moving units than a realistic Zelda.

I feel like this is the type of title we should see at the end of the generation, kind of like how Skyward Sword came out at the end of last gen, while a realistic Zelda should have come first to help with the Wii U's sales.

Once again, I'm not saying that the artstyle is bad. By all means, it's amazing, And I'm sure that it will be an amazing title, especially with the more open gameplay mechanics.

the one that was shown on the first impression with the realistic zelda took my heart. this one gave me the feeling of windwaker. surely its a good game but i feel like misled by nintendo. the same what happened with alien colonial marines with the good graphics. and then when the game came out we got dreamcast graphics for alien colonial marines.

then again im gonna buy it cause it gonna be a good game. but still they misled me and i dont forget that

You misled yourself. And stop comparing it to Wind Waker, it looks nothing like it. 

Why do people think the tech demo looked better? It didn't! Look at the fire in both trailers for example, massive difference. 

curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:

I think more than anything, anime-styled Zelda is driving away potential new mainstream gamers.

I'm a fan, and although I really dislike anime (bar few pieces here and there), I will have no problem playing and enjoying new Zelda. But mainstream audience, one that Nintendo failed to impress for so long and make them jump the ship, is not looking for that style - teens today want to watch Game of Thrones, not anime, they are playing Skyrim, not Skyward Sword.

Unfortunatelly, Nintendo and Aonuma are still wearing blinders and failing to aknowledge what sells in the west - is this stuborness, or their "Nintendo culture" agenda, I really have no idea. Of course, it may be they don't care about profits, and want to do whatever they like, but I somehow find that hard to believe.

While I'm overall pleased with the art style, (and just glad it's not Winder Waker fugliness) I have to agree about it not being the smartest move from a commercial point of view.

It would have been better for Nintendo and the Wii U if this had looked like the tech demo. Western mainstream gamers don't want a cartoon Zelda.

Still, it will sell better than it would have if it had been bobble-headed child Link.

That's what I've been trying to say. The art sytle is beautiful, and I truly do appreciate it.

A realistic art style would be better commercially, though. Apparently saying that has gotten me branded as a hater or unoriginal, even though nothing could be further from the truth. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC