By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - For $140, is it worth getting a PS TV instead of a Vita?

Tagged games:

Missing the touch screen is going to affect a lot of games unless they get patched. I wouldn't recommend it over the actual handheld.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

So at this point, I should probably wait until the Vita gets a price cut I guess?

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
So at this point, I should probably wait until the Vita gets a price cut I guess?

or wait till both get price cut.  Vita TV should be about 100-120 at most due to the lack of some features.  140 bundle doesn't sound that bad but if you don't think it is worth it then wait for just the Vita price cut.  I think Sony should have just had the controller and Vita TV for 99.  So instead of people looking at Roku, Amazon, or any other streaming player they would perhaps pick up Vita TV instead (since it can stream Netflix, Hulu, etc and also has way better games than Amazon or Roku) for the same price as the other higher end models offered by other companies.

edit - Standalone is only 99 but I believe they should of had it with controller at least too.

Will it be possible to play PS3 games with it? Via PSNOW?

I don't mean to sound like an idiot here, but PS TV lets me play Vita games on a TV?

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network
Moonhero said:
I don't mean to sound like an idiot here, but PS TV lets me play Vita games on a TV?

Yep, but you do it with a regular PS controller which doesn't have touch screen capabilities.  So some games might not work on it that are heavily touch based.  That would be cool if they somehow made the PS4 controller with touch interface compatible (you would still be minus the back touchscreen on Vita which other buttons could supplement).

"$99 standalone, or $139 for a bundle including a DualShock 3, an 8GB memory card, an HDMI cable"

I don’t own a Vita but I can recommend( I don’t know how good the vita versions are) some games from its library that I’ve played on other consoles.

Borderlands 2 a shoot and loot rpg fps which I've heard is not the best port ( they had to reduce the co-op from 4 to 2 players and resolution,frame rate etc.) But still enjoyable.

FFX/X-2 Very good jrpg's.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade Really enjoyable side scrolling platforming beat em up rpg.

Dragon's Crown side scrolling 4 player beat em up rpg made by the creators of Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Best with co-op but still fun without.

Tales of Hearts R & Tales of Innocence R they’ve changed Tales of Hearts from 2D to 3D for Tales of Hearts R so I don’t know which is the better version but I find the tales of games have some of the best real-time jrpg gameplay out there so I’m sure their very good.

On the PSX and PSP side I’d also recommend Final Fantasy 1-9 and other Final Fantasy titles like Dissidia Duodecim ( Note: unfortunately Final Fantasy 7:Crisis Core and kingdom hearts birth by sleep which were two of my favourite psp games never made it to the PSN store).

kitler53 said:
i, personally, would say playstation TV isn't a good replacement for vita.

1. not ever vita game is supported
2. the controls are remapped so (i assume) not every game will play "like it is suppose to"

here is how i see playstationTV. it plays some* vita titles. some psp titles. some ps classics. some ps3 titles (via psnow). and i imagine in the future some ps4 titles. ..and, of course, the most popular tv services.

for a more casual player playstationTV is a cheap way to get access to a lot of content. experiences won't always be optimal but casuals probably won't mind. for the more "core" player that has to have access to every game in the highest fidelity and in the optimal configuration,.. there is ps4 and psvita.

personally, i think sony was foolish to ever market it as a psvita. i think it should have been an entirely different product with an entirely different OS focused on what it is. an inexpensive way to get to a lot of content to those that don't care about all that "extras" provided by ps4.

i agree with everything you said there but i would add, the PS tv can act like a second PS4 with the remote play feature, which is the main reason i want it, give me the ability to play my ps4 games in my pc room so i dont have to either buy a second ps4, or move my ps4 around when the wife wants to watch tv.

MoHasanie said:
I would get the Vita.
PS TV will flop.

Is this a wish? It's at numbers 7 right now on amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=sv_vg_12

bubblegamer said:
MoHasanie said:
I would get the Vita.
PS TV will flop.

Is this a wish? It's at numbers 7 right now on amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=sv_vg_12

Nope not a wish, just my opinion. 

Amazon best sellers don't give a real idea of how things are selling, especially cause it was given  a release date just yesteday at E3 so its not unexpected that's its selling well today.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54