By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - For $140, is it worth getting a PS TV instead of a Vita?

Tagged games:

Get the Vita. Lack of touchscreen is gonna cause major problems for the Vita TV.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
Lusche said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I will get the Vita TV if its compatible with Uncharted, Killzone, and Gravity Rush. I prefer playing on a TV and its cheaper.

it should get a patch for killzone iirc, but for the other 2 the chances of halo/last of us exclusive for the wiiu would be higher

It looks liked Killzone has already been patched for Vita TV.

Sony has pretty much given up on supporting the Vita, the least they could do is patch a few notable games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

It looks liked Killzone has already been patched for Vita TV.

Sony has pretty much given up on supporting the Vita, the least they could do is patch a few notable games.

ah good to know about killzone ...

but even if sony was willing to I doubt its even possible, because of game design choices ...

like how would the puzzle solving in uncharted work where you have to hold your vita against a light to solve the puzzle.
they would have to redo those parts. thats also a problem for some games which couldnt be patched without destroying the gameplay.

Lusche said

ah good to know about killzone ...

but even if sony was willing to I doubt its even possible, because of game design choices ...

like how would the puzzle solving in uncharted work where you have to hold your vita against a light to solve the puzzle.
they would have to redo those parts. thats also a problem for some games which couldnt be patched without destroying the gameplay.

Good points, I'm sure they can figure something out. I don't get the impression those puzzles were the best thing about Uncharted on Vita.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Vita is probably the better option still, unless you really don't like portables.

Oh and Gravity Rush won't be playable on the Vita Playstation TV.

Around the Network

Can anyone give me a quick run down of how PS Tv works ? I currently have a vita will that do anythign for me ?

Muramasa and Persona would work on Vita TV. Biggest issue is that any game that uses the touch a lot won't work. LittleBigPlanet Vita is one of them and it's pretty good and close to the PS3 version, but with levels using touch, accelerometers and other stuff. Tearaway is the best Vita game and won't work on Vita TV too and with the heavy use of all the specific hardware, it won't be patched for Vita TV.

With all that in mind, I recommend the normal Vita. The renaming as PlayStation TV actually says a lot of things about the direction it is headed. Like Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV, it is positioned as a cheap streaming device with some extras: some Vita games, PS1 games, PS4 remote play and PS3 using PS Now. Vita TV is more for people who want a cheap Netflix box or an extension for their PS4 to allow using it in different rooms without the hassle of moving the console.

DakonBlackblade said:
Can anyone give me a quick run down of how PS Tv works ? I currently have a vita will that do anythign for me ?

No. It has the same specs and OS than the regular Vita, but it is a mini console to be used with your TV and a Dualshock 3 controller. It will only run Vita games that don't use touch input (except games patched for it like Killzone and Soul Sacrifice), with support to both physical cartridges and digital copies. It will support PS1 and PSP games like the regular Vita and the same PS4 remote play capabilities.

Unless you want a Netflix box or a way to use your PS4 in other rooms it won't do anything your Vita does not.

It's just not worth it to get a Vita in any of it's incarnations. It has been completely abandoned by all notable publishers including SCEA. It's really a waste of your time and money.

I own one myself.

ironmanDX said:
Will it be possible to play PS3 games with it? Via PSNOW?

Yes via PS now.