By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'll tell you why Nintendo fans are so excited over 1 week's worth of sales.

Panama said:

It is a great bump, and while I don't mean to delve into semantics, it's exactly that, a bump. I'm just not sure if Nintendo have the necessary bevy of titles planned out for the next 4 years to keep the Wii U relevant amongst consumers. I suppose E3 and TGS will alleviate my concerns.

I'm not disagreeing with that, however I fail to see how that has anything to do with Mario Kart 8. MK8 has done it's job so far, Nintendo just needs to smarten up and help it out.

Clearly the problem lies with Nintendo, not how many Wii Us MK8 moved in one week.

Around the Network

I think half the issue is simply that Nintendo needs to be looked at as a secondary console. PS4 and XB1 pretty much carry the same types of games, however Nintendo basically fills in the gaps that Sony and MS leave behind.

MS and Sony both have some decent platforming IP and potential for a decent kart game for sure... However, Nintendo really excels in these area's. When I look at a Nintendo console I don't look at 3rd party support, I have not in quite sometime I will let Sony and MS handle that part! Nintendo should be about its IP and its IP only!

You can't look at Nintendo and judge them the same way you can with MS and Sony that is half the problem. The view is a better complement to a PS4 owner than a XB1 as a WiiU is a better complement to a XB1 owner than a PS4... You cover more gaming ground when a WiiU is looked at as a second console option.

It's all opinion for sure, but I plan on getting a way to sit alongside my PS4 here this fall! I have some Mario to catch up on!

reggin_bolas said:
OP makes a fair point. I think Wii U will be at 14 million sold at the end of the year and effectively dethrone the PS4. We'll see at least 1 million units moved as a result of MK8 this month and the momentum will just pick up towards the holidays.

Today is June 7, 2014.

The year ends December 31, 2014.

There are 6 months, 25 days, and 30 minutes remaining.

The WIi U will need 7.3 million sales in the next ~7 months for this to happen. 

The Wii U will need to sell a no less then a million a month, selling more this year than the past 2 years combined.

Sorry, sounds like bullshit.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Panama said:
Looking a little bleak actually. I sincerely hope VGChartz estimates are wrong, because if the Wii U couldn't outsell the PS4 for at least one week with its biggest exclusive of the year, then Nintendo are in trouble. And before people lecture me on Watchdogs being a huge release, it was available on 4 other platforms and received 2 months straight of negative press coming up to its launch.

It's worth remembering here that Watch_Dogs launched on the 27th, while MK8 launched on the 29th-31st in different regions (29th in Japan, 30th in US/UK/Europe, 31st in Australia). That means Watch_Dogs has had five days to boost console sales while in most regions, MK8 has only had two. I would not be remotely surprised if Wii U sales actually exceed PS4's next week, especially since MarioKart titles tend to have an extremely slow burn in sales.

Meanwhile, as far as the secondary-console thing, I think Nintendo are only looked at as a secondary console by "core" gamers, who are only a portion of Nintendo's audience... and besides that, I don't think it's a bad thing if those people still end up buying the Wii U.

atomicblue said:
Panama said:
Looking a little bleak actually. I sincerely hope VGChartz estimates are wrong, because if the Wii U couldn't outsell the PS4 for at least one week with its biggest exclusive of the year, then Nintendo are in trouble. And before people lecture me on Watchdogs being a huge release, it was available on 4 other platforms and received 2 months straight of negative press coming up to its launch.

It's worth remembering here that Watch_Dogs launched on the 27th, while MK8 launched on the 29th-31st in different regions (29th in Japan, 30th in US/UK/Europe, 31st in Australia). That means Watch_Dogs has had five days to boost console sales while in most regions, MK8 has only had two. I would not be remotely surprised if Wii U sales actually exceed PS4's next week, especially since MarioKart titles tend to have an extremely slow burn in sales.

Meanwhile, as far as the secondary-console thing, I think Nintendo are only looked at as a secondary console by "core" gamers, who are only a portion of Nintendo's audience... and besides that, I don't think it's a bad thing if those people still end up buying the Wii U.

The Wii U virtually has no 3rd party support, the mainstream gamer plays 3rd party, those who only play NIntendo games are a minority, the "casuals" that invested in the Wii U last gen have all moved on to other devices.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

Come on guys, just let Nintendo fans be happy about something..

Also, more to be happy about: Mario Kart 8 is still up there in Amazon's best seller and it looks like Wonderful 101 got a decent boost, temporarily bumping it up higher than Watch Dogs (PS4).

nomad said:

They had an entire generation to be happy, its their turn now.

Also, more to be happy about: Mario Kart 8 is still up there in Amazon's best seller and it looks like

Wonderful 101 got a decent boost, temporarily bumping it up higher than Watch Dogs (PS4).

pics or it didn't happen

nomad said:

Also, more to be happy about: Mario Kart 8 is still up there in Amazon's best seller and it looks like Wonderful 101 got a decent boost, temporarily bumping it up higher than Watch Dogs (PS4).

You don't get it. Nintendo were expected to be dead two decades ago, when the PlayStation happened. Their continued existence makes blood boil, spleens rupture and idiot fingers type. Nintendo should have "done a SEGA" at least a decade ago, despite protestations that doing a SEGA has not worked well for SEGA. No such demands are ever made of Microsoft, Sony, or even SEGA (THEY SHOULD DO AN ATARI), which just highlights how ridiculous it all is. Gaming is so humdrum, people need something else to do. This is why ioi keeps these forums alive.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
reggin_bolas said:
OP makes a fair point. I think Wii U will be at 14 million sold at the end of the year and effectively dethrone the PS4. We'll see at least 1 million units moved as a result of MK8 this month and the momentum will just pick up towards the holidays.

Today is June 7, 2014.

The Wii U will need to sell a no less then a million a month, selling more this year than the past 2 years combined.

Completely realistic with E3 bringing hype from games like Metroid and Zelda. Also, MK8 is easily pushing 1 million in the first month just by itself. Just imagine with the stellar fall lineup leading up to Smash. Smash could potentially move 2-3 mil hardware by itself the first month. It's going to be huge. 

reggin_bolas said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
reggin_bolas said:

Today is June 7, 2014.

Completely realistic with E3 bringing hype from games like Metroid and Zelda. Also, MK8 is easily pushing 1 million in the first month just by itself. Just imagine with the stellar fall lineup leading up to Smash. Smash could potentially move 2-3 mil hardware by itself the first month. It's going to be huge. 

Mk8 will sell better than smash, what exactly is the stellar line up leading to Smash btw?