By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people hate digital games so much?

Why do you hate digital games?

Can't sell them 66 15.24%

HDD space is too limited 19 4.39%

I like a physical collection 171 39.49%

The downloads may become ... 69 15.94%

Other 15 3.46%

I don't really mind digital games 41 9.47%

DIGITAL GAME MASTER RACE 45 10.39%

Total:426

It's a psychological thing. I never feel like I actually bought the game unless I go to the store, buy it, unwrap it and physically stick the game into the console.

The only platform where I don't feel that way is iPhone. But that's a different beast.

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:

A lot of people are steadfast against digital games, but I'm not quite sure why at times. From what I can see, digital games are much superior to their physical copies. I'll list some common arguments, and try to rebute them.

1. "I want the ability to sell my games when I'm done with them, or at least be able to play it on another console!"

From what I understand, a lot of people who make this argument don't actually sell a good portion of their games in the first place. Even if you do, I would think that the cheaper price of digital games would make up for that easily. For example, I got a $20 game (Ni no Kuni) for $5 on a PSN sale the other day. Dark Souls 2 was also available for $40, which is a bargain compared to the price of the physical edition. Microsoft also has talked about implementing a large variety of sales for their digital games. Just look at Steam: You can get a hundred games for less than $100 if you wait for sales or get humble bundles. You just can't save that kind of money with physical media. 

Also, Sony, Microsoft, and Valve all let people have multiple devices that can have a game at once. Many people seem to believe that a game is tied to a console, and once you no longer have that console, you lose that game. What they don't realize is that, with the exception of Nintendo, everyone's digitally purchased games are tied to an account, meaning you can have multiple systems with the same game, as long as you log in to download it. Sony allows you to have two consoles with the same game, and you can activate or deactivate consoles as you go along. That means you can log into your friend's PS4 and download the game there, and then just log off when you leave. 

From your statements I can't help but conclude that you don't know anyone in the game collecting community or know anyone that's made real profit from their game collection. My game collection alone pays for my games and has paid for my consoles as well as my gaming PC. The last games I sold were a never opened mint condition version of God of War and God of War 2 special edition for $1000. Granted that was to another collector that absolutely wanted those games, but that's the point you can always find someone to sell something to if ya look hard enough. That's why I always buy two versions of the game. One I never open and keep in perfect condition straight from the developer and never from stores and then one to play.

I even got a great deal with a friend of mine that runs the local arcade. He's got a great arcade at the mall, has tons of machines and has a nice set up. He charges customers $20 bucks and they can stay pretty much all day. He's got a nice section in the back with just about every console and game. When I beat a game or get halfway done with a game I sell it to him for $25 which is more than local game stop would give me and he lets me play there any time I want for free. So even if I don't beat the game right away or I want to play the game again I know where it's at and can play it just about any time I want. He's got good insurance and keeps good stock so if a game ever goes missing the insurance replaces it right away. Which is a lot harder to do btw for the much older nintendo and sega games. A few years ago they had some games stolen I think it was like 3-4 nintendo games that got stolen. He was able to convince their appraiser that the games had a high value because of their rarity and a buddy of mine that had decent quality versions made a few grand for himself and it was paid for by the insurance company. The funniest part imo was a few months later the same games were found in decent condition at a pawn shop not far away for $40. My friend that made a few grand from selling those games talked the guy down and got the games back for $15.

So you want to know why people hate digital games so much? It's because they have no real value. The second they are purchased they become worthless. The only value they have is entertainment value and that is subjective and ultimately meaningless to anyone with enough creativity and intelligence. Physical games are a commodity period. You keep it in good condition and it increases in value over time and the more rare it becomes. Ya do things to it that make it more rare like add autographs of the devs or include rare artbooks from the game and it increases the value even more. I can't speak for every part of the world but here in America you can always find eccentric rich people to buy rare items at a high price. That's the beauty of capitalism. So many people dislike digital, especially collectors is because digital is not a commodity. It's just code that can be easily copied or deleted. It can never increase in value and only decreases in value over time. That's why steam games are so cheap.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy digital only. I am saying tho that it can never be digital only. It should always exist along side physical games otherwise a lot of people lose a lot of money and a good commodity pretty much gets destroyed. Digital is really good for indie developers tho. I will buy indie digital games because it's a good investment in them. I'll take it a step further tho when I like the company and get in contact with the developers and shell out a bit extra for a physical copy. Indie developers are usually really accommodating. Like The Fullbright Company for example, I was able to get a signed physical disk of Gone Home which is going to be worth a lot to someone someday. So yeah that's why people that make money off their games like I do don't like digital only. There is no money in it. Frankly I think every person should ask themselves before they make a purchase of any kind one question, that question is simply "Can I turn this around and make some kind of profit off it?". The answer for digital only is no and at best is an investment gamble into the devs.

For one, how can you assume I know no one in the video game collecting community? I am one, for Pete's sake. I have collected physical versions of games, and continue to when a physical collector's edition of a game I want comes out. What you don't seem to realize is that, even with the ability to resell games, digital is still a much better value. Your argument of not owning the game makes no sense, as no one owns a physical copy either, according to the EULA. You own the disc, not the game on the disc, and the company has every right to terminate your access to the game whenever they want. With digital, you have the ability to purchase games for an extrememly cheap price with digital sales.

When you buy physical, you subsidize the publisher for manufacturing and shipping costs. When you buy digital, those costs are completely ignored, and so potential prices are much cheaper. I can get the same game you want for much cheaper digitally. For example, Dark Souls 2 was released for $50 on Steam as opposed to $60 on console because there was no middle-man for shipping and manufacturing. You can keep your ability to get $40 back on a $60 game you buy, I'll keep my ability to get 50 games for less than $20, and not bother reselling them.

I don't assume anything, I conclude using your own statements and obvious overwhelming ignorance as evidence that you have never made a profit from a game collection or known anyone that has. That much is obvious. It's also obvious that you have no idea what the word "value" means since you keep misusing it. The fact a game is cheaper means it has lower value not higher value. Digital games have no value period. They cannot be resold, they have no financial value. The fact that you can buy them at an extremely low price means they have an extremely low value.

The whole point is to resell them. That's how commodities work. You buy it for $50 or $60 and you resell it for $200 or $1000 or higher. That is the point of having a game collection. It is an investment. Digital only destroys that investment and ruins a good commodity. It doesn't matter that you don't own the code on the disc, you own the disc, that's the point. The code and the concepts behind the code are simply art that gives the disc value. It's like a painting, it's just paint on a canvas, but ya arrange that paint so its appealing to the eye and make it rare and you have a very profitable commodity. Take the Mona Lisa for example, people will spend millions for it. If they buy it, it doesn't mean they own Mona Lisa. That is forever the property of Leonardo Da Vinci. All they bought was a rare canvas that had the first Mona Lisa painted on it. It's no different for books, comics, sculptures, video games or any commodity really. I seriously hope you can maintain a good paying job. Otherwise you are screwed because you have an extreme misunderstanding of value and you have no idea how to profit from your purchases. If ya did you wouldn't be spouting such nonsense. You are likely going to spend the rest of your life just spending money and throwing it away instead of making a profit. It's not enough to just buy something for cheap, that just slows the bleeding. You have to be able to turn around and sell it for a good profit otherwise you are just throwing money away. Which is all that digital games do. There is no value there.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

GotBoth said:
I am fully digital this gen. I don't have to worry about switching out disc which is VERY convenient. Also, in terms of collection, I make enough money to where if I want to have a visual collection I can buy the physical version too. I did that with Watch_Dogs (which is only physical game I have) PS4. Still, even if I want a game for show, I don't want to have to put a disc in to play it. That is SOOOO 1999.

And I NEVER trade games in, I believe in intellectual property in it's purist form. I refuse to sell something I did not put in effort in to profit from. I appreciate companies that supply me with entertainment, not despise them.

Glad you have all that extra cash lying around. All the more power to ya. Not sure what sense it makes to purchase a digital and physical copy but then I think I have actually done so just not on top of each other. So I guess we are both suckers for our video games.

BUT, intellectual property rights even in its purest form has never, ever, ever covered resale of past works sold. We have the first sale doctrine and tons of history to base that on. If it had many of the greatest works ever created couldn't have ever been resold or even given away for that matter. Intellectual property extends to anything ever made. You can resell the item you purchased but you cannot copy it and sell the copy of ANY item. I just don't understand the irrational stance some gamers take on this issue. They'll buy a used car, a used TV heck probably used underwear but used game sales? Gasp the horror! And don't give me the gaming industry is different tha the car industry etc. The car industry is different than the music industry is different from the basket weaving industry is differet from the pickle making industry. None of which can stop you from reselling your purchases.

Also, I am curious on how you earned the money you used to purchase copies of these works of intellectual properties we call "games?" Undoubtedly you expelled energy and effort to earn a pay check and then in turn used it to purchase your games. Even if your mommy and daddy gave it to you they would have worked for it.

Most of us who play games appreciate the developers or at least we appreciate their works, which is why we buy their games in the first place. But tying ones finacial options or how they handle their wholely owned property based on a one way love affair seems as masochistic as one can get.

I would also take issue with the idea that reselling a game is done for "profit." Profit assumes you gained monetarily from that resale i.e. bought low sold high which in the case of used game sales is almost never the case, But I wouldn't disapprove even if you could profit from it in that way. Or if you are using the non-monetary definition you have already benefited or gained something intangible form your purchase (the joy of playing the game) and you are thereby profiting from your purchase.

Lastly, keep your games. I think it is your absolute right to do so and I don't begrudge you for it. I just feel like folks who take this stance laud it over the rest of us who choose not to as if they are some how morally superior because they never resell their games. But I ask you, what will you be doing with those when you expire? Are they to be buried with you or incinerated or perhaps returned to the original developer? Or would bequething your games collection to charity or a family member be in line with intellectual property rights? Neither of which will have helped the developer's bottom line.

For me:
- More expensive (games in the PSN store are €70 from third party and €60 from Sony, physical is €60). They need to be cheaper than physical editions (€50). Prizes also don't drop quick enough compared to physical copies. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is still €69,99 after 31 months!!!
- A lot of times they don't include pre-order bonuses
- Lack of Special Edtions a lot of the times that include things such as extra content (maps, clothing etc).
- I can't resell/return the game if it's a disappointment

Yea I'll NEVER go (all) digital for the simple fact that I Love having my physical collection of games. It's bad enough most games no longer have a full fledged instruction guide included (I realize that is a small gripe). I have about 6 full digital games and I've noticed they never get played. Not by me, not by my roommates, and they are good games! I think the idea of picking out a game, opening up the case, sliding the disc in, idk... it's hard to beat that. It's so ingrained in our brains. Mostly though, I just like looking at my physical collection. and looking at my digital collection doesn't give me the same feeling at all.

Around the Network

I love the boxes. So always physical for me

Click HERE and be happy 

I prefer physical copies for the reasons several people gave above me. I don't hate digital though. I'll get for smaller games and retail games that have a sale. If they went all digital,then I would'nt mind,but it's nice 2 have options.

I don't sell my games, so that's not an issue for me, but I do think I should have the RIGHT to sell my games, so I won't get into digital until that right exists. If you can't sell something, it's not really yours. People act like DRM is the devil, but what we need is GOOD DRM. There's already physical retail management, but digital is more complicated.

Space is a BIG issue for me. I can't afford HDD's yet. Not until a 1TB HDD is about $15-$20 will I be able to consistently afford the memory I'll need.

The physical collection feels great to display, better than the digital display. Also, I like being able to take a game off the shelf and hand it to a friend to borrow. We're getting closer to that on the digital side, but we're not there yet.

The last point goes back to the first. I want consumer rights. It shouldn't be physically possible for something I own to suddenly just "not be available" through no fault of my own. The fact that such is the case just bothers me to no end. I can't accept that. And I have hundreds of games, collected over the years, some dating back to the early 90's, but not a single ONE has stopped working, or even seemed likely to stop working. I take care of my games, and they don't ever get scratches.

Ultimately, for me to accept digital gaming, I'll need things to change, so that I can truly OWN the games, like I do my books. That and storage has to get cheaper. But I do see the advantages, I don't just hate it for the sake of it.

Control.

You can't let digital games win out. You simply can't. The reason? Price control. See, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all want you to buy their games on their shops. Why? Because 100% of that £50/$60 goes straight to them.

Surely, then, considering a. They get 100% of the money b. the games have no resale ability c.You get no case and disc .... then digital games should be much cheaper.
But if anything, they're much more expensive! Games which are still £49.99 on PSN, for example, can be found for £20 on Amazon, often even £30-40 at High Street retailers after just a few months.
Think about release day. I got Mario Kart 8 for £39.99 on GAME.co.uk on release day. On the same day, it was £49.99 on Wii U eShop.
We musn't let digital games win out, or we all (literally) pay the price.

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

because its a money sink. simple as that.