By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people hate digital games so much?

Why do you hate digital games?

Can't sell them 66 15.24%

HDD space is too limited 19 4.39%

I like a physical collection 171 39.49%

The downloads may become ... 69 15.94%

Other 15 3.46%

I don't really mind digital games 41 9.47%

DIGITAL GAME MASTER RACE 45 10.39%

Total:426

I'm almost all digital now.

No tax
No having to finding the disc
No losing my games

Have not bought a physical game for a console in a long time...even longer for pc.

Around the Network
Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:
Wiped said:
Control.

You can't let digital games win out. You simply can't. The reason? Price control. See, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all want you to buy their games on their shops. Why? Because 100% of that £50/$60 goes straight to them.

Surely, then, considering a. They get 100% of the money b. the games have no resale ability c.You get no case and disc .... then digital games should be much cheaper.
But if anything, they're much more expensive! Games which are still £49.99 on PSN, for example, can be found for £20 on Amazon, often even £30-40 at High Street retailers after just a few months.
Think about release day. I got Mario Kart 8 for £39.99 on GAME.co.uk on release day. On the same day, it was £49.99 on Wii U eShop.
We musn't let digital games win out, or we all (literally) pay the price.

Now that's just very false.

A part of that money goes to Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo, yes. But the publisher and developer also get the lion's share of the money on each sale. The only one missing out is retailers like Gamespot when the middleman gets cut out. 

Digital games, if new, are going to be the same price. That's given, since the economics of the entire industry depends on it. Even then, some new games are digitally discounted (WWHD was discounted when released digitally, and Dark Souls 2 is $50 on Steam as opposed to $60 on consoles). Games also go on sale much faster and much more often, as I mentioned in the OP.

Digital games are the future. They will win out, as consumers slowly embrace the format. A generation or two from now, I doubt physical media exists. At that point, perhaps a backwards compatible PS5 or 6 will be able to play my digital PS3 games, but physical games will be incompatible due to format change and/or lack of disc drive.

Just about everywhere outside the US digital games cost more than physical games. So you keep saying they are the same price new or cheaper and that is not true. Since there are a lot more countries with that problem than the US the average cost of new digital downloads exceeds physical copies. Digital games are not the future. People said the same thing about the kinect. It turns out it's not the future. Controllers are the future because much like digital kinect was too much of a hassle and had too many problems. Wake up, get out of your bubble, and look around. Millions are made on physical games by users alone. it is a commodity plain and simple, something you do not seem to understand. It's never going to be only digital because there is too much money on the line and too many consumer rights would be lost, and it is entirely too unreliable, unpredictable, and just not a safe bet. 

You know what? No one wanted cartridges gone either. People made a huge deal about that too. They were phased out eventually for a better format, however.

Digital games are gaining traction at an insane level, as companies push out cheaper digital games with huge sales (and yes, they happen outside the US too). I'm not the one living in the bubble if you can't see that digital is where the industry is heading, and it's what the industry will be in a generation or two.

It is amazing of how little you know of what happened at that time. There is a huge differance. Cartriges went to a better and longer lasting physical format. Not a worse, less secure intagible formant. It doesn't matter how much traction they are getting, the push back against it is gaining just as much traction if not more. It was so bad in fact it forced MS to do a ocmplete turn around. The only people who think this is the future are people that are completely blind to the world around them and how it works. I tell ya what I'm going to book mark this and next generation when it doesn't happen I'm going to come back and serve you a nice serving of crow and you are going to ow everyone an apology. Then Im going to wait untill the following generation and come back again and do it again because you have no idea what you are talking about. 

LOL

You think discs are better than digital? Discs get damaged. Disc read speed is slow.

Digital installation is fast, and storage media is getting cheaper and cheaper. Digital publication allows smaller developers who don't have the money to buy retail space to make great games. It allows localization to happen at a much higher rate than before.

We might even see digital-only variants of the PS4 or Xbox One. Both Sony and Microsoft are promoting digital much more than physical, and PS Now by its entire foundtation will be digital. A digital-only future isn't nearly as unlikely as you make it seem.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Ssenkahdavic said:
I'm almost all digital now.

No tax
No having to finding the disc
No losing my games

Have not bought a physical game for a console in a long time...even longer for pc.

Exactly. The last two options especially. I'm super protective of my things, and not having to worry about them getting damaged or losing them takes a burden off my shoulder.

All of the above plus internet data cap prices will be rising soon. I will still buy some games digitally and some physically. Therefore I hope physical is not done away with.

VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:

That is bullshit and you know it. You control the responsibility of protecting your personal property and the things you paid for. If your house burns down or gets broken into insurance you pay for because you should be responsible will replace it. Sure you could get locked away but that is on you. That is your life and your choices. Wake up and understand they are taking that right away from you and imposing far greater risk. If something happens to the servers or the data or an admin goes apeshit there is no insurance that will replace that lost data, there is no gurantee they will ever get that data back. Hell they couldn't bring some ME DLC to ps3 because they lost the source code. That can easily happen with any digital download and then you are fucked. There won't be a damn thing you could do about it either because you agreed to it and signed the TOS and gave away those rights to that product. 

Now that's bullshit. iTunes, Google, etc. have had digital downloads available for years and nothing like this ever happens. You sound like a conspiracy theorist, thinking that companies purposefully shaft consumers.

I've been buying digital games and media for over a decade. Not ONCE have I had any of my content de-synced from my account. Over that time, some of my physical media has become scratched, stolen, etc. Just like how you are responsible for taking care of your property, you are responsible for taking care of your account by not being an asshole. If you can do that, you have your games available anytime you want on any device you want, barring an "admin" going "apeshit" crazy of course.

Actually if you knew anything you'd know this has actually happened a lot to itunes google ect.. try looking up all the time itunes has been hacked.You are lying through your ars if you expect anyone to believe that nonsense. I doubt you've been buying digital for over a decade. 5-8 tops and I know in that time you've experienced that kind of problem especially all the times PSN or XBL or even steam servers have been down. So you are just plain being dishonest and it's not a good look on you. You can lie to yourself all you want but don't piss on my shoes and tell me its raining because i don't buy it and you should know better than to expect anyone to believe that level of BS.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Around the Network
VanceIX said:

LOL

You think discs are better than digital? Discs get damaged. Disc read speed is slow.

Digital installation is fast, and storage media is getting cheaper and cheaper. Digital publication allows smaller developers who don't have the money to buy retail space to make great games. It allows localization to happen at a much higher rate than before.

We might even see digital-only variants of the PS4 or Xbox One. Both Sony and Microsoft are promoting digital much more than physical, and PS Now by its entire foundtation will be digital. A digital-only future isn't nearly as unlikely as you make it seem.

It's intangible, it has no value, and it can be lost any moment with no hope of being replaced. What about that do you not understand? Seriously I would love to get into business with you because I could make so much money off of you and you would love me for it.

Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:

That is bullshit and you know it. You control the responsibility of protecting your personal property and the things you paid for. If your house burns down or gets broken into insurance you pay for because you should be responsible will replace it. Sure you could get locked away but that is on you. That is your life and your choices. Wake up and understand they are taking that right away from you and imposing far greater risk. If something happens to the servers or the data or an admin goes apeshit there is no insurance that will replace that lost data, there is no gurantee they will ever get that data back. Hell they couldn't bring some ME DLC to ps3 because they lost the source code. That can easily happen with any digital download and then you are fucked. There won't be a damn thing you could do about it either because you agreed to it and signed the TOS and gave away those rights to that product. 

Now that's bullshit. iTunes, Google, etc. have had digital downloads available for years and nothing like this ever happens. You sound like a conspiracy theorist, thinking that companies purposefully shaft consumers.

I've been buying digital games and media for over a decade. Not ONCE have I had any of my content de-synced from my account. Over that time, some of my physical media has become scratched, stolen, etc. Just like how you are responsible for taking care of your property, you are responsible for taking care of your account by not being an asshole. If you can do that, you have your games available anytime you want on any device you want, barring an "admin" going "apeshit" crazy of course.

Actually if you knew anything you'd know this has actually happened a lot to itunes google ect.. try looking up all the time itunes has been hacked.You are lying through your ars if you expect anyone to believe that nonsense. I doubt you've been buying digital for over a decade. 5-8 tops and I know in that time you've experienced that kind of problem especially all the times PSN or XBL or even steam servers have been down. So you are just plain being dishonest and it's not a good look on you. You can lie to yourself all you want but don't piss on my shoes and tell me its raining because i don't buy it and you should know better than to expect anyone to believe that level of BS.

Dude...calm down for one. You being vulgar and rude isn't helping your case.

Second, I have been purchasing digital content on places like Steam and iTunes since they were released. I purchased games for my friends on Steam in 2004 that are still there.

Third, yes, things get hacked. People generally don't lose content due to hacks. Link me one instance where a person's account gets all its games removed due to a company being hacked. Credit card info? Sure. email addresses? Yeah. Most hackers don't care about what games are linked to an account, and even if they did, it would be easy to recover the content.

Physiscal > Digital.
But I accept and support, small digital only games ! To make it easier for the small devs with ''mini'' half priced games.

Physical is always better then digital. You can do whatever you want with them. I constantly share my games with my friends, and vice-versa ~

And, I'm a collector by nature, so digital is such a BS. Might just move to PC for good if I want to go only digital ~

VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:

Dude...calm down for one. You being vulgar and rude isn't helping your case.

Second, I have been purchasing digital content on places like Steam and iTunes since they were released. I purchased games for my friends on Steam in 2004 that are still there.

Third, yes, things get hacked. People generally don't lose content due to hacks. Link me one instance where a person's account gets all its games removed due to a company being hacked. Credit card info? Sure. email addresses? Yeah. Most hackers don't care about what games are linked to an account, and even if they did, it would be easy to recover the content.

I'm perfectly calm and I assure you I am not being rude or vulger, I am being honest there is a distinction. What's rude is lying to my face and treating me like I'm an idiot. 2004 is not "over a decade" it is just under a decade. Thanks for finally being honest and proving me right. http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Support/ct-p/10023 check around 2011 and early 2012. Lots of instances. http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/default.aspx Check around 2009-2010 I believe that's when the peak was it happened a lot. https://support.steampowered.com/ check any time steam accounts get hijacked all the time. Yeah it would be possible to recover, that is if the data isnn't lost forever like it was with ME DLC and it would require a lot of hassle. Something you wilfully ignore is the fact is that we have consumer rights that protect us from having to deal with that hassle and trouble. Rights that are lost with digital only. 

Digital games do not have the game case smell
;_;