By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people hate digital games so much?

Why do you hate digital games?

Can't sell them 66 15.24%

HDD space is too limited 19 4.39%

I like a physical collection 171 39.49%

The downloads may become ... 69 15.94%

Other 15 3.46%

I don't really mind digital games 41 9.47%

DIGITAL GAME MASTER RACE 45 10.39%

Total:426

Digital is currently lacking the freedoms of physical media to adequately share, borrow, resell, etc. They're trying to catch up currently but there's no way digital takes over the whole market, especially not within the next 10 years.

I think that would be ridiculous. Music started down the path to digital in the mainstream long before gaming did, but do you think physical media for music is going away this decade? My Barnes & Noble still has a quite large CD selection. And a huge DVD and Blu-ray section despite the pervasiveness of streaming for movies.

Physical's gonna be there for those that want it for a while.

Maintaining a digital collection just doesn't seem as fun as the physical alternative. I like to scan through my games like I'm scanning through a little library of books sometimes. Sometimes I like to look through them with no intention of actually picking one out to play. Sometimes I like to scan through them with a friend. Sometimes I like to go to a game store with them. Sometimes I like to hunt for used deals.

It's just a big change in the feel of consuming the industry, and people get too aggressive or defensive speaking on either side. It doesn't help convince people that digital>physical if you start the conversation like "What's wrong with you? This is the future. Your physical media sucks because ____."

I can see myself going digital in the future and not regretting it, but for all things gained there is usually something lost as well...

Around the Network
Skidonti said:
Digital is currently lacking the freedoms of physical media to adequately share, borrow, resell, etc. They're trying to catch up currently but there's no way digital takes over the whole market, especially not within the next 10 years.

I think that would be ridiculous. Music started down the path to digital in the mainstream long before gaming did, but do you think physical media for music is going away this decade? My Barnes & Noble still has a quite large CD selection. And a huge DVD and Blu-ray section despite the pervasiveness of streaming for movies.

Physical's gonna be there for those that want it for a while.

Maintaining a digital collection just doesn't seem as fun as the physical alternative. I like to scan through my games like I'm scanning through a little library of books sometimes. Sometimes I like to look through them with no intention of actually picking one out to play. Sometimes I like to scan through them with a friend. Sometimes I like to go to a game store with them. Sometimes I like to hunt for used deals.

It's just a big change in the feel of consuming the industry, and people get too aggressive or defensive speaking on either side. It doesn't help convince people that digital>physical if you start the conversation like "What's wrong with you? This is the future. Your physical media sucks because ____."

I can see myself going digital in the future and not regretting it, but for all things gained there is usually something lost as well...

What's wrong with you? This is the future. Your physical media sucks because...   :))

Seriously, about the underlined:

Ever since going digital, I found it much easier to share or borrow games. Now my friend and I can buy the game together, and play it without need to actually see each other. With a disc, if I wanted to play the game from 8-10 pm, and he wanted to play it from 11-1 am, we would need to actually go outside and meet each other and swap discs.

Now all we need is one what'sapp or Viber message. No need for discs, no need for waiting, my friend can actually be 200 kilometers away and we can still share the game we bough together.

Physical disc will never have that convenience. And once we're finished playing the game, we sell it and get most of our money back, with which we buy new digital games.

The disc is now such an inconvenience that its value has dropped dramatically. Digital content nowe has a much higher resale value, and the value is compounded by not needing to spend money on postage when selling discs, or wasting time waiting for a few days for the mail to arrive.

i just really like physical copies as i like having a rack of games to choose from my own collection. However, im not opposed to digital

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

I don't think people are against digital games but a digital only future, as it stands now most console owners are not capable of constantly downloding 20GB+ games as this gen is already showing. With my PS3 it take about 1 1/2-2hrs to download a 5GB-7GB i can't imagine or rather have the patience to download a game roughly 4x that size; it would take me almos half a day to download KZ:SF compared to an hour going to my nearest gaming store.

As it stand now DD should be an option, not mandatory.

I used to have my doubts when it came to DD games. Now I don't care anymore which way i obtain them. Games that I really want to have I buy physical. Just because, collecting or something.
Although I do fear something will happen to my ps3 or my account and I won't be able to play any of the dozens of games i bought.

6 years ago this subject was great for some awesome discussions.

Around the Network

DRM and price. DRM is a real threat in cases where you can't simply crack the game (that is, consoles), and the prices of digital games are generally higher when the games are not on sale.

VanceIX said:

A serious question, not trying to argue or anything- how do you feel about mandatory full game installations on the PS4/Xbox One for most games, whether physical or digital?

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the concept. I understand why they do it (to reduce loaing times, to help against piracy, whatever). But I just prefer having my retail games in a physical medium. I miss the "good old days" of gaming, even with PS2/GC/Wii, where you just bought a game, brought it home, popped that fucker in, and got right to playing it. Now? Even on Wii U, most of the games you buy have SOME sort of update or something that you have to download and install before you can actually get to playing. I was genuinely surprised that MK8 didn't really have something like that right out of the box.

Like I said, I understand the logic behind why PS4 and Xbone are doing it. I just don't care for it.

All of above.

The worst being that you're paying significantly more for a game you can't sell.

Nicklesbe said:

I don't assume anything, I conclude using your own statements and obvious overwhelming ignorance as evidence that you have never made a profit from a game collection or known anyone that has. That much is obvious. It's also obvious that you have no idea what the word "value" means since you keep misusing it. The fact a game is cheaper means it has lower value not higher value. Digital games have no value period. They cannot be resold, they have no financial value. The fact that you can buy them at an extremely low price means they have an extremely low value.

The whole point is to resell them. That's how commodities work. You buy it for $50 or $60 and you resell it for $200 or $1000 or higher. That is the point of having a game collection. It is an investment. Digital only destroys that investment and ruins a good commodity. It doesn't matter that you don't own the code on the disc, you own the disc, that's the point. The code and the concepts behind the code are simply art that gives the disc value. It's like a painting, it's just paint on a canvas, but ya arrange that paint so its appealing to the eye and make it rare and you have a very profitable commodity. Take the Mona Lisa for example, people will spend millions for it. If they buy it, it doesn't mean they own Mona Lisa. That is forever the property of Leonardo Da Vinci. All they bought was a rare canvas that had the first Mona Lisa painted on it. It's no different for books, comics, sculptures, video games or any commodity really. I seriously hope you can maintain a good paying job. Otherwise you are screwed because you have an extreme misunderstanding of value and you have no idea how to profit from your purchases. If ya did you wouldn't be spouting such nonsense. You are likely going to spend the rest of your life just spending money and throwing it away instead of making a profit. It's not enough to just buy something for cheap, that just slows the bleeding. You have to be able to turn around and sell it for a good profit otherwise you are just throwing money away. Which is all that digital games do. There is no value there.

I'd be one of those crazy people lol. I have bought starcraft 64 and snowbaord kids 2 AUS versions for $1k each boxed and manual in mint condition.

Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:

Dude...calm down for one. You being vulgar and rude isn't helping your case.

Second, I have been purchasing digital content on places like Steam and iTunes since they were released. I purchased games for my friends on Steam in 2004 that are still there.

Third, yes, things get hacked. People generally don't lose content due to hacks. Link me one instance where a person's account gets all its games removed due to a company being hacked. Credit card info? Sure. email addresses? Yeah. Most hackers don't care about what games are linked to an account, and even if they did, it would be easy to recover the content.

I'm perfectly calm and I assure you I am not being rude or vulger, I am being honest there is a distinction. What's rude is lying to my face and treating me like I'm an idiot. 2004 is not "over a decade" it is just under a decade. Thanks for finally being honest and proving me right. http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Support/ct-p/10023 check around 2011 and early 2012. Lots of instances. http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/default.aspx Check around 2009-2010 I believe that's when the peak was it happened a lot. https://support.steampowered.com/ check any time steam accounts get hijacked all the time. Yeah it would be possible to recover, that is if the data isnn't lost forever like it was with ME DLC and it would require a lot of hassle. Something you wilfully ignore is the fact is that we have consumer rights that protect us from having to deal with that hassle and trouble. Rights that are lost with digital only. 

January 2004 is over a decade. Febraury 2004 is over a decade. March 2004 is over a decade. April 2004 is over a decade. May 2004 is over a decade.

Grow up.

If a person steals an account, how are your rights being violated, exactly? A person can just as easily, if not more easily, swipe some games or rob your house if they wished. Would you cry about your rights being violated and blame the company that made the games then, or would you blame the robber?

If you have a strong password and aren't an idiot, your account is perfectly safe with most of everything encrypted these days. If a mass-scale breach does happen (and they do, don't get me wrong), it is very unlikely that your games go missing from your digital library, as the company would find out and take steps against it in cases of massive hacks. In individual cases where it may be a problem, you just have to make sure you have a good password, just like how you would make sure you lock your door at night.

No one is taking your rights, you are way over-reacting. According to the EULA, you don't own the game anyway, just the disc that the game is on. Are your rights being violated there? Just like that, I don't own my digital copy, just the hard disk that the game is on. I also have the game linked to an account so I can make copies on another system is I so wish. I won't lose any downloaded games I have downloaded until I delete them, just like how you won't lose any physical media until you get rid of it.

You said over a decade and guess what you probably didn't start in any of those months, even if ya did you said over a decade which means it's still a lie, it doesn't matter if it's 10.99% its still at most one decade and not over untill 2015. It also doesn't change the fact that you lied about never having any network problems in that time. Now you are acting like a child, and you want to tell me to grow up? Your rights are violated because you no longer have the power to protect your own property. You also have the right to resell any property you purchase. What about that do you not understand? You have the right to protect your property anyway you see fit. They take that right away by denying you the ability to take that property. Instead they take it and put where ever they want and force you to trust that they will protect it and they take away your right to sell it and make a profit off it if you choose.

Just stop dude seriously you know you are so in the wrong here and you are expressing so much blind ignorance that at this point it comes off as intentional and pure trolling. People on XBL had strong passwords but due to an exploit their passwords were completely bypassed. Sony had encription and people had strong passwords it didn't stop people from hacking into the network. You have to be smarter than this, seriously. 

Like I said, when huge, large scale hacks happen companies will 100/100 times make it up to the users. Individual attacks are the only thing that are truly worrying in terms of losing your account forever, and those happen when you don't have good account security.

Do you know me? Seriously? Are you really so bitter that you don't think I could buy a game on Steam over a decade ago (Steam came out in 2003 btw). iTunes has been available since 2001. Like I said, grow up. Digital distribution has been around far longer than you think. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC