By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people hate digital games so much?

Why do you hate digital games?

Can't sell them 66 15.24%

HDD space is too limited 19 4.39%

I like a physical collection 171 39.49%

The downloads may become ... 69 15.94%

Other 15 3.46%

I don't really mind digital games 41 9.47%

DIGITAL GAME MASTER RACE 45 10.39%

Total:426
DevilRising said:
VanceIX said:

A serious question, not trying to argue or anything- how do you feel about mandatory full game installations on the PS4/Xbox One for most games, whether physical or digital?

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the concept. I understand why they do it (to reduce loaing times, to help against piracy, whatever). But I just prefer having my retail games in a physical medium. I miss the "good old days" of gaming, even with PS2/GC/Wii, where you just bought a game, brought it home, popped that fucker in, and got right to playing it. Now? Even on Wii U, most of the games you buy have SOME sort of update or something that you have to download and install before you can actually get to playing. I was genuinely surprised that MK8 didn't really have something like that right out of the box.

Like I said, I understand the logic behind why PS4 and Xbone are doing it. I just don't care for it.

I see. Yeah, I could see why people wouldn't be fond of the concept. I opposed it a couple of years ago too, but with a larger HDD things are a lot beter.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:

You said over a decade and guess what you probably didn't start in any of those months, even if ya did you said over a decade which means it's still a lie, it doesn't matter if it's 10.99% its still at most one decade and not over untill 2015. It also doesn't change the fact that you lied about never having any network problems in that time. Now you are acting like a child, and you want to tell me to grow up? Your rights are violated because you no longer have the power to protect your own property. You also have the right to resell any property you purchase. What about that do you not understand? You have the right to protect your property anyway you see fit. They take that right away by denying you the ability to take that property. Instead they take it and put where ever they want and force you to trust that they will protect it and they take away your right to sell it and make a profit off it if you choose.

Just stop dude seriously you know you are so in the wrong here and you are expressing so much blind ignorance that at this point it comes off as intentional and pure trolling. People on XBL had strong passwords but due to an exploit their passwords were completely bypassed. Sony had encription and people had strong passwords it didn't stop people from hacking into the network. You have to be smarter than this, seriously. 

Like I said, when huge, large scale hacks happen companies will 100/100 times make it up to the users. Individual attacks are the only thing that are truly worrying in terms of losing your account forever, and those happen when you don't have good account security.

Do you know me? Seriously? Are you really so bitter that you don't think I could buy a game on Steam over a decade ago (Steam came out in 2003 btw). iTunes has been available since 2001. Like I said, grow up. Digital distribution has been around far longer than you think. 

If that were true then MS would have done something to reimburse all those people that had their accounts hacked into over the years. That's pretty damn large scale. Instead they spent years blaming users and ignoring it. Then when a 5 year old brought it to their attention they simply quietly let it fade away without doing anything for the pople affected. History doesn't exactly back your claims. I'm not bitter I'm just not an idiot and I know a lie when I hear one. Yes you could have done it over a decade but you didn't which you later finally admitted to. You've shown nothing but extreme ignorance and inexperiance with the world and you flat out lied about never having a network problem in that time which is funny considering there isn't a network on the planet that is that stable and secure. It was a safe bet to say that was a lie too and I turned out to be right. Who would have figured? 

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:

You said over a decade and guess what you probably didn't start in any of those months, even if ya did you said over a decade which means it's still a lie, it doesn't matter if it's 10.99% its still at most one decade and not over untill 2015. It also doesn't change the fact that you lied about never having any network problems in that time. Now you are acting like a child, and you want to tell me to grow up? Your rights are violated because you no longer have the power to protect your own property. You also have the right to resell any property you purchase. What about that do you not understand? You have the right to protect your property anyway you see fit. They take that right away by denying you the ability to take that property. Instead they take it and put where ever they want and force you to trust that they will protect it and they take away your right to sell it and make a profit off it if you choose.

Just stop dude seriously you know you are so in the wrong here and you are expressing so much blind ignorance that at this point it comes off as intentional and pure trolling. People on XBL had strong passwords but due to an exploit their passwords were completely bypassed. Sony had encription and people had strong passwords it didn't stop people from hacking into the network. You have to be smarter than this, seriously. 

Like I said, when huge, large scale hacks happen companies will 100/100 times make it up to the users. Individual attacks are the only thing that are truly worrying in terms of losing your account forever, and those happen when you don't have good account security.

Do you know me? Seriously? Are you really so bitter that you don't think I could buy a game on Steam over a decade ago (Steam came out in 2003 btw). iTunes has been available since 2001. Like I said, grow up. Digital distribution has been around far longer than you think. 

If that were true then MS would have done something to reimburse all those people that had their accounts hacked into over the years. That's pretty damn large scale. Instead they spent years blaming users and ignoring it. Then when a 5 year old brought it to their attention they simply quietly let it fade away without doing anything for the pople affected. History doesn't exactly back your claims. I'm not bitter I'm just not an idiot and I know a lie when I hear one. Yes you could have done it over a decade but you didn't which you later finally admitted to. You've shown nothing but extreme ignorance and inexperiance with the world and you flat out lied about never having a network problem in that time which is funny considering there isn't a network on the planet that is that stable and secure. It was a safe bet to say that was a lie too and I turned out to be right. Who would have figured? 

Where did I admit I didn't? I bought things from iTunes as early as 2003 and I bought Half Life 2 for a friend on Steam when it was first released (granted, it was a few months short of a decade, but close enough). All of those things are still availalbe on our accounts.

What did you expect Microsoft to do? They fixed the exploit, and everyone got their data back, just having to change their passwords. Do you want them to pay you or something? Theft happens, and the fact that everything returned to normal later means the situation was handeled adequately. 

Digital games are dangerous is what I think. If Nintendo sells us a copy of Mario Kart then we own that disc and we can do whatever we want with it. Whether that means modifications of reselling it, we have every right to do it. However if its a digital copy of the game, then the publisher has the power. They can give us all kinds of weird license agreements. Some of them may work against resale, others may work against something else.

Lets take "Lets Play" videos for example. If I own a copy of a game and I make a lets play video that the publisher doesn't like, all he can do is go to various streaming sites and take each of those down one at a time. However if I only own a license to play that game, that publisher can nullify that license and disable their game on your console.

VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:

Where did I admit I didn't? I bought things from iTunes as early as 2003 and I bought Half Life 2 for a friend on Steam when it was first released (granted, it was a few months short of a decade, but close enough). All of those things are still availalbe on our accounts.

What did you expect Microsoft to do? They fixed the exploit, and everyone got their data back, just having to change their passwords. Do you want them to pay you or something? Theft happens, and the fact that everything returned to normal later means the situation was handeled adequately. 

You admitted it when you said you had your account in 2004..which isn't over a decade..and you said you were buying digital games for over a decade which wasn't true, which you admitted. Microsoft could try doing something instead of nothing. Far less people were affected when Sony was hacked, ya know what Sony did? They gave all PSN users at the time that were affected a year of identity theft protection and insurance. MS could start with something like that, instead of blaming the users that had no fault in it and sweeping it all under the rug. Ya know take responsibility?

Around the Network
Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:

You admitted it when you said you had your account in 2004..which isn't over a decade..and you said you were buying digital games for over a decade which wasn't true, which you admitted. Microsoft could try doing something instead of nothing. Far less people were affected when Sony was hacked, ya know what Sony did? They gave all PSN users at the time that were affected a year of identity theft protection and insurance. MS could start with something like that, instead of blaming the users that had no fault in it and sweeping it all under the rug. Ya know take responsibility?

Please quote where I said I had an account in 2004. I had an iTunes account back in 2003, and I didn't make a Steam account untile last year, but I bought games for friends on Steam and they still have them.

Microsoft didn't blame the users, they blamed the hackers. Where are you coming with this? The only people they really blame are those that have poor account security, and that's their own problem. Do you blame the maker of your house for a robbery when you leave your door unlocked at night? Please.

VanceIX said:

Please quote where I said I had an account in 2004. I had an iTunes account back in 2003, and I didn't make a Steam account untile last year, but I bought games for friends on Steam and they still have them.

Microsoft didn't blame the users, they blamed the hackers. Where are you coming with this? The only people they really blame are those that have poor account security, and that's their own problem. Do you blame the maker of your house for a robbery when you leave your door unlocked at night? Please.

Microsoft absolutly blamed the users. They blamed the users for years. http://kotaku.com/5873604/is-microsofts-xbox-live-hacking-problem-worse-than-microsoft-realises

You do know you are just making yourself out to be a complete liar right now you know that right?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6381959

"I've been buying digital games and media for over a decade. Not ONCE have I had any of my content de-synced from my account. Over that time, some of my physical media has become scratched, stolen, etc. Just like how you are responsible for taking care of your property, you are responsible for taking care of your account by not being an asshole. If you can do that, you have your games available anytime you want on any device you want, barring an "admin" going "apeshit" crazy of course."

Notice how you said said "and" not or. This is also the post where you lied about never being de-synced, aka having any network problem. Which simply isn't possible.  Also hard to buy digital games for a decade let alone over a decade when you don't own a steam account, not to mention the fact digital downloads for games wern't really possible before 2004. Keep being dishonest tho, you are doing great.

Then there is this 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6381981

"I purchased games for my friends on Steam in 2004 that are still there."

Hmm looks like an admission to me. Do you even read what you write before you post it? I've more than proved my point. You can continue to spout ignorance filled nonsense, and continue lying and trying to twist your words if you like, I'm done. I've proven my point and at this point and all you you do is act like a pigeon playing chess. So consider this the last time I indulge in this topic, you've spiraled this way off topic and only continue to spout petty nonsense and denialism. 

Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:

Microsoft absolutly blamed the users. They blamed the users for years. http://kotaku.com/5873604/is-microsofts-xbox-live-hacking-problem-worse-than-microsoft-realises

You do know you are just making yourself out to be a complete liar right now you know that right?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6381959

"I've been buying digital games and media for over a decade. Not ONCE have I had any of my content de-synced from my account. Over that time, some of my physical media has become scratched, stolen, etc. Just like how you are responsible for taking care of your property, you are responsible for taking care of your account by not being an asshole. If you can do that, you have your games available anytime you want on any device you want, barring an "admin" going "apeshit" crazy of course."

Notice how you said said "and" not or. This is also the post where you lied about never being de-synced, aka having any network problem. Which simply isn't possible.  Also hard to buy digital games for a decade let alone over a decade when you don't own a steam account, not to mention the fact digital downloads for games wern't really possible before 2004. Keep being dishonest tho, you are doing great.

Then there is this 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6381981

"I purchased games for my friends on Steam in 2004 that are still there."

Hmm looks like an admission to me. Do you even read what you write before you post it? I've more than proved my point. You can continue to spout ignorance filled nonsense, and continue lying and trying to twist your words if you like, I'm done. I've proven my point and at this point you all you do is act like a pigeon playing chess. So consider this the last time I indulge in this topic, you've spiraled this way off topic and only continue to spout petty nonsense and denialism. 

This isn't even funny anymore.

1. There are 5 months in 2004 that were over a decade ago.

2. When I said my games have never been "de-synced", I mean that I haven't lost any games that were synced to my account. I have 101 games purchased on Steam since last year, all are still there. I have 20 games purchased on the PS3 since 2008 and all are still there. I have around 30 songs that I purchased from iTunes from 2003-2004 that are still available for me to download. Where the hell did I say I never had any network issues?

3. I purchased five games on Steam, starting in 2004, for my friends. The first was Half-Life 2, which I purchased the day it was available on Steam, sometime in the second half of 2004. It's just a few months under a decade, and I apologize if that makes me completely dishonest. I did purchase songs in 2003, and bitch and moan as much as you want, it's true.

4. Thank heavens you're done. You're putting words in my mouth and acting like you fucking know me. What the hell man? 

For anyone that's curious Half-life 2 wasn't released until November of 2004. So anyone that claims their first digital game purchase which happened to be Half-life 2 was a decade ago, or more absurdly longer than a decade ago. They are flat out lying or don't know basic math and can't count to 10. Also a pro-tip it's not healthy to claim someone put words in your mouth when you quote their words exactly. It's ridiculous and just makes you look silly and that defeats your argument. It's also not a good idea to try and twist and change your words after the fact, especially if they have been quoted exactly only a few posts later. Remember kids open your mind to the world around you, try to use proper logic, avoid delusion and blind devotion when you can, and always read what you write before you press send..

I personally don't hate digital games at all. But, I wouldn't say I prefer them either.

When I buy a console game at $60 a pop, I generally prefer a physical copy, mainly due to the option of trading it in (even though I keep 90% of my games).

However, almost every single game I buy on PC is digital for two reasons;

1. I can't trade it in anyway because well.... it's a PC game
2. The Steam sales are usually cheap enough to warrant a purchase, even though I may lose it in the distant future. (which is kind of a moot point, since any physical game is vulnerable to theft or misplacement anyway)