By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does Nobody Notice How Badly the 3DS Is Doing?

Tagged games:

The NO GAMES argument is stupid at this point in the life cycle of the 3DS. It has plenty of games. After all why does it need NEW games? It is not like new gamers are suddenly go OH it has games coming out this year I will buy one. They will go to a shop and see that the 3DS has 30-40 games worth playing.

It is time to admit it smartphone and tablets are a huge problem to handhelds.

Also not to sound even more negative, but even though the 3DS has sold 60million units, how many of those are UNIQUE gamers? I got 6 x 3DS (3DS, 3DS XL, Zelda 3DS, Zelda 3DXL, Pokemon 3DXL and Yoshi 3DXL). Now if you check out my 'Show us your 3DS collection so far' thread, other people in there have multiple 3D's too. I know its anecdotal, but I would say a lot of the Nintendo core would have at least 2 x 3DS. In my opinion the actual UNIQUE install base is around 30-40million.

Now people will argue this happens with every console and in fact it does, however look at the vast range of 3DS options, i.e colours and the limited edition ones Nintendo have pumped out with 3DS, most gamers will want at least one of those in addition to their playing 3DS.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

As of late I've noticed many people shifting focus to the "Battle of the Big Three Home Consoles", but there's a problem brewing in the Handheld's case, seemingly under most people's noses. 

The 3DS has fallen from it's "glory" days, and fast. There was a time when it did around ~120k weekly, a healthy number. However, now it's yet to even find a baseline; falling from ~85k to ~76k quite quickly with no stop in sight. This is not good at all and paints an ugly picture for the future of the depressing state of the little Handheld that could. 

What's the problem here? I largely blame it on Nintendo's focus on the Wii U, a console that's future is most definitely set in stone already. (And it's not the best future.) Instead of helping the 3DS continue with healthy sales and generate a healthy profit they instead look to try and save an already slippery slope. The 3DS can have a good road ahead of it, but no one wants to see to it. Instead we cover our eyes and pretend that the terrible 3DS sales are just "okay" or "good enough."

We all need to take a look at the situation the 3DS is in and take off the blinders. Sure, it's not as bad as the Vita, but we shouldn't even be using that as a scale for how "good" the 3DS is doing in the first place. What has happened, in your opinion? What can Nintendo do to stop it, because there is a problem here.

a successor my dear, ...she used to ship a successesor every two years...but instead of successor ,realeases smashbros and ruby shapphire remakes:Pthis is a good move too!

Cobretti2 said:
The NO GAMES argument is stupid at this point in the life cycle of the 3DS. It has plenty of games. After all why does it need NEW games? It is not like new gamers are suddenly go OH it has games coming out this year I will buy one. They will go to a shop and see that the 3DS has 30-40 games worth playing.

So, if there hadn't been released more games for PS3 after Uncharted 2 (2009), does the console would still have been able to sell more than 80 million units? According to VGChartz by 2009 PS3 had sold around 32 million units.

Releasing new games for a console in (and after) its third year of life DOES MATTER.

It has loss steam, im guessing Nintendo is allocating time and money towards the Wii U a bit more, thus the 3DS has suffered. Still much better than the competition, so it's not too bad.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

kreznik said:
Cobretti2 said:

So, if there hadn't been released more games for PS3 after Uncharted 2 (2009), does the console would still have been able to sell more than 80 million units? According to VGChartz by 2009 PS3 had sold around 32 million units.

Releasing new games for a console in (and after) its third year of life DOES MATTER.

The DS went through plenty of stretches where Nintendo focused more on the Wii, especially after 2008. It's simply unrealistic to ask Nintendo to constantly make new 3DS software all the time and expect the same for the Wii U (weren't Nintendo fans complaining that Nintendo was making too much 3DS software last year and not enough for the Wii U? lol). Damned if you, damned if you don't I guess. 

If Pokemon X/Y, NSMB2, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Brain Training, Zelda: ALBW, Bravely Default, Zelda: Oot 3D, Nintendogs + cats, Kid Icarus Uprising, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 2, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Theaterhythm, Pushmo, DKC Returns, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Pilotwings, Kingdom Hearts, Tales of Symphonia, Super Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil Revelations, Star Fox 64 3D, Monster Hunter 3G, Art Academy, Sonic, Tomodachi Collection, Shin Megami Tensei, Professor Layton, etc. are not enough to get you to part with $130 for a 2DS at least ... honestly, you just don't want what Nintendo's offering. A few niche Japanese titles ported over here aren't changing a damn thing. 

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
3DS will be the last sucessfull handheld

Until nintendo wises up and make a smartphone that also happens to be a dedicated handheld. or better yet a 7" tablet that is also a dedicated handheld. If I wee them that is exactly what i would do.

kreznik said:
Cobretti2 said:

Years has nothing to do with it. Its the quality of games curently available. PS3 price also did not help the situation hence why it sold so slowly. Not to mention I would argue at the same point in time (your 3 years) 3DS has more quality titles than the PS3 did. 

Cobretti2 said:

Also not to sound even more negative, but even though the 3DS has sold 60million units, how many of those are UNIQUE gamers? I got 6 x 3DS (3DS, 3DS XL, Zelda 3DS, Zelda 3DXL, Pokemon 3DXL and Yoshi 3DXL). Now if you check out my 'Show us your 3DS collection so far' thread, other people in there have multiple 3D's too. I know its anecdotal, but I would say a lot of the Nintendo core would have at least 2 x 3DS. In my opinion the actual UNIQUE install base is around 30-40million.

Now people will argue this happens with every console and in fact it does, however look at the vast range of 3DS options, i.e colours and the limited edition ones Nintendo have pumped out with 3DS, most gamers will want at least one of those in addition to their playing 3DS.

I agree the "no new games" argument isn't the best, but what follows that in your own post is just ridiculous.

Is that supposed to be a problem for Nintendo? And, if it is, then it was also a problem for the DS, the GameBoy Advance, the PSP, and the GameBoy Color/Original. 

3DS was a bad decision by Nintendo, instead of wasting their time and effort on 3D they shoulc have focused on making a more powerful handheld and loading it up with really great games, they haven't done that, the lack of a really good 2D Mario is a clear failure by Nintendo (NSMB 2 was garbage)

Its not a lack of games, its a lack of good games that have killed the 3DS

Anyone who thinks smartphones are a danger to the 3DS just don't get it, people want good games, and Nintendo has not delivered this gen, on the 3DS and the Wii U, that is what has killed them.

axt113 said:

3DS was a bad decision by Nintendo, instead of wasting their time and effort on 3D they shoulc have focused on making a more powerful handheld and loading it up with really great games, they haven't done that, the lack of a really good 2D Mario is a clear failure by Nintendo (NSMB 2 was garbage)

Its not a lack of games, its a lack of good games that have killed the 3DS

Anyone who thinks smartphones are a danger to the 3DS just don't get it, people want good games, and Nintendo has not delivered this gen, on the 3DS and the Wii U, that is what has killed them.

this is all very subjective. Except smartphones that is having an effect, period.