By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does Nobody Notice How Badly the 3DS Is Doing?

Tagged games:

NintendoPie said:
Cobretti2 said:
The NO GAMES argument is stupid at this point in the life cycle of the 3DS. It has plenty of games. After all why does it need NEW games? It is not like new gamers are suddenly go OH it has games coming out this year I will buy one. They will go to a shop and see that the 3DS has 30-40 games worth playing.

It is time to admit it smartphone and tablets are a huge problem to handhelds.

Also not to sound even more negative, but even though the 3DS has sold 60million units, how many of those are UNIQUE gamers? I got 6 x 3DS (3DS, 3DS XL, Zelda 3DS, Zelda 3DXL, Pokemon 3DXL and Yoshi 3DXL). Now if you check out my 'Show us your 3DS collection so far' thread, other people in there have multiple 3D's too. I know its anecdotal, but I would say a lot of the Nintendo core would have at least 2 x 3DS. In my opinion the actual UNIQUE install base is around 30-40million.

Now people will argue this happens with every console and in fact it does, however look at the vast range of 3DS options, i.e colours and the limited edition ones Nintendo have pumped out with 3DS, most gamers will want at least one of those in addition to their playing 3DS.

I agree the "no new games" argument isn't the best, but what follows that in your own post is just ridiculous.

Is that supposed to be a problem for Nintendo? And, if it is, then it was also a problem for the DS, the GameBoy Advance, the PSP, and the GameBoy Color/Original. 

Its not a problem for Nintendo as they sell extra hardware but rather gives a false sense of a userbase. What I am getting at is that mobiles and tablets have impacted far greater on handheld gaming then the sales suggest due to people buying multiple devices. As I said people use to do that in past gens to but have you seen how many limited edition 3DS' there are? it is at least 20-30 different ones across all the regions. I don't ever recall past gens have so many varieties for people to buy mulltiple ones because they either a zelda fan, a fire emblem fan, pokemon fan or mario fan etc...

Around the Network

I'm sorry, but this thread is pointless. Doing almost 80k in a week is not "bad" at all. It's actually rather good.

And I'm sorry PS4 fans, but NO console can keep up selling 100k+ a week forever. None, it just doesn't happen. 3DS, like all systems, will have it's roller coaster ups and downs in weekly sales. But freaking out over nearly 80k in a week? That's pretty fuckin' ridiculous.

Acting like the 3DS is anything but successful, let alone that it's NOT still doing well, is, I'm sorry, a fool's argument. Ask the PS Vita sometime how much it'd love to maintain even 40k a week.

nah.

Tomadochi life just released and it could become as successful as AC new leaf.
then there is smash and other games. oh.......e3 is round the corner, by the way.

I see NO reason to worry just yet!

axt113 said:

3DS was a bad decision by Nintendo, instead of wasting their time and effort on 3D they shoulc have focused on making a more powerful handheld

Anyone who thinks smartphones are a danger to the 3DS just don't get it, people want good games, and Nintendo has not delivered this gen, on the 3DS and the Wii U, that is what has killed them.

You see that, its why the 3DD and the Vita are failing now. Its not about games. Cause you can play games on phones and tablets too, yes they lack the physical buttons a dedicated handheld has but as the pic shows above thats nothing you can't fix. Assuming you are already walking around with a backpack to stow away the controller when not using it.

With this, you can have anysized phone or up to a 7" tablet as you primary device. Do all the stuff that those devices will let you do in addition to still playing games on them on the go. The problems dedicated handhelds are having now are 1. 1 in ever 5 people in the world own a smartphone. Thats an install base of over 1B people. That number is too much to ignore. 2. Dedicated handhleds are redundant, especially if you already own a smartphone. Do you really want to be carrying around two devices, chargers, memory cards..etc. When you can just carry your tablet and if you really have to a controller?

DevilRising said:
I'm sorry, but this thread is pointless. Doing almost 80k in a week is not "bad" at all. It's actually rather good.

And I'm sorry PS4 fans, but NO console can keep up selling 100k+ a week forever. None, it just doesn't happen. 3DS, like all systems, will have it's roller coaster ups and downs in weekly sales. But freaking out over nearly 80k in a week? That's pretty fuckin' ridiculous.

Acting like the 3DS is anything but successful, let alone that it's NOT still doing well, is, I'm sorry, a fool's argument. Ask the PS Vita sometime how much it'd love to maintain even 40k a week.

Yes no console will sell 100k+ forever, and all humans die too.  Back in context, 3DS went from averaging ~150k a week last year to ~100k a week, in just it's early 4th year of life.  That's a 33% drop YoY at an unexpected time.  

Vita's a terrible benchmark.  If you hope 3DS will sell 80+ million then Vita is no kind of reference; maybe look at the PS3 and how many years it had to sustain sales.  If 3DS basically stays in this 80k~150k for years more then it's fine.  It would basically be like the PS3.

What sucks is 3DS is tracking this much lower than Nintendo's forecast for this year.  The financials are probably going to be even worse than last year.  (Disclaimer: this is not investment advice. I do not own shares of Nintendo, Sony or MS).

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
ICStats said:
If VGC software sales estimates are accurate then the 3DS software sales this year are troubling. VGC has 3DS & PS4 very close, which is terrible considering 3DS has 5X the user base.

3DS Ytd 12,923,519
PS4 Ytd 11,441,618

how many games came out for each?

tbone51 said:
ICStats said:
If VGC software sales estimates are accurate then the 3DS software sales this year are troubling. VGC has 3DS & PS4 very close, which is terrible considering 3DS has 5X the user base.

3DS Ytd 12,923,519
PS4 Ytd 11,441,618

I guess major new games in 2014 will be:

• Bravely Default 0.88M
  • Kirby Tripple Deluxe 0.82M
  • DQ Monsters 2 0.77M
  • Yoshi's New Island 0.41M
  • Harvest Moon: Linking the new World 0.22
  • Mario Golf 0.18M
  • Lego Movie 0.17M
  • Fossil Fighters 0.16M
  • Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (not in the game DB???)

versus

• Watch Dogs 1.86M
  • inFamous 1.36M
  • MGS: GZ 0.71M
  • Thief 0.44M
  • Wolfenstein 0.42M
  • Tomb Raider 0.41M
  • Final Fantasy 14 0.17M
  • Lego Movie 0.14M
  • Rayman Legends 0.14M
  • Yakuza: Ishin 0.14

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
tbone51 said:
ICStats said:

I guess major new games in 2014 will be:

• Bravely Default 0.88M
  • Kirby Tripple Deluxe 0.82M
  • DQ Monsters 2 0.77M
  • Yoshi's New Island 0.41M
  • Harvest Moon: Linking the new World 0.22
  • Mario Golf 0.18M
  • Lego Movie 0.17M
  • Fossil Fighters 0.16M
  • Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (not in the game DB???)

versus

• Watch Dogs 1.86M
  • inFamous 1.36M
  • MGS: GZ 0.71M
  • Thief 0.44M
  • Wolfenstein 0.42M
  • Tomb Raider 0.41M
  • Final Fantasy 14 0.17M
  • Lego Movie 0.14M
  • Rayman Legends 0.14M
  • Yakuza: Ishin 0.14

There's your answer right there :P (and i think ps4 has had more games if im not mistaken).

3DS only had Kirby for its big game of the first half of the year, Mario Golf did do terrible but it was never going to be huge. DQ is a spinoff sequel and its japan only. Bravely Default sales arent that high as that game only released in NA this year while Europe last year (japan 2012).

3DS big games are literally in the second half. Pokemon OR/AS alone will push an extra 5-7mil and then you got Youkai Watch 2(japan's new Monster Franchise) + SSB for 3DS + Monster Hunter 4G (japan only) + more :)

Not saying of course 3DS is doing good, just wanted to point out Consoles (and Sony in general) have all that third party support, its very common to have More sales on Consoles due to that alone!

tbone51 said:

Its definitely doing bad but it already is a success... It will sell over 60mil lifetime.

Besides SW sales are very good and its competition is nowhere close to it

Handhelds in general don t see to sell as much software as hone consoles -  the Wii has sold more software than the 3 ds numuours  times over the last 1.5 years (not total sales that I am aware but but on several weekly updates 

a strong home console can offset a weak handheld but the reverse does not seem to apply

There's been no huge game released since A Link Between Worlds last November. I'm not saying that any games released this year were bad, just saying none really made anyone go buy the 3DS. Plus the hardware will probably do great at Christmas

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!