By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does Nobody Notice How Badly the 3DS Is Doing?

Tagged games:

@tbone51, yeah there's a lot of guaranteed sales with SSB, Pokemon, etc.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
DarkRPGamer007 said:
There's been no huge game released since A Link Between Worlds last November. I'm not saying that any games released this year were bad, just saying none really made anyone go buy the 3DS. Plus the hardware will probably do great at Christmas

That's not true at all. I'm the first one to call out the 3DS' terrible 2014 thus far, but there hasn't been nothing. There's been not enough. Bravely Default was big. Kirby 3D was big. Yoshi, even if it wasn't good, was a big release.

DevilRising said:
I'm sorry, but this thread is pointless. Doing almost 80k in a week is not "bad" at all. It's actually rather good.

And I'm sorry PS4 fans, but NO console can keep up selling 100k+ a week forever. None, it just doesn't happen. 3DS, like all systems, will have it's roller coaster ups and downs in weekly sales. But freaking out over nearly 80k in a week? That's pretty fuckin' ridiculous.

Acting like the 3DS is anything but successful, let alone that it's NOT still doing well, is, I'm sorry, a fool's argument. Ask the PS Vita sometime how much it'd love to maintain even 40k a week.

Don t talk too bad about the Vita, it just makes the Wii u look that much worse since the Vita has been consistently outsellingit over the last year+- this week excluded 

ICStats said:

DevilRising said:
I'm sorry, but this thread is pointless. Doing almost 80k in a week is not "bad" at all. It's actually rather good.

And I'm sorry PS4 fans, but NO console can keep up selling 100k+ a week forever. None, it just doesn't happen. 3DS, like all systems, will have it's roller coaster ups and downs in weekly sales. But freaking out over nearly 80k in a week? That's pretty fuckin' ridiculous.

Acting like the 3DS is anything but successful, let alone that it's NOT still doing well, is, I'm sorry, a fool's argument. Ask the PS Vita sometime how much it'd love to maintain even 40k a week.

Yes no console will sell 100k+ forever, and all humans die too.  Back in context, 3DS went from averaging ~150k a week last year to ~100k a week, in just it's early 4th year of life.  That's a 33% drop YoY at an unexpected time.  

Vita's a terrible benchmark.  If you hope 3DS will sell 80+ million then Vita is no kind of reference; maybe look at the PS3 and how many years it had to sustain sales.  If 3DS basically stays in this 80k~150k for years more then it's fine.  It would basically be like the PS3.

What sucks is 3DS is tracking this much lower than Nintendo's forecast for this year.  The financials are probably going to be even worse than last year.  (Disclaimer: this is not investment advice. I do not own shares of Nintendo, Sony or MS).

I think you are correct. Re the financials possibly being worse this year, I think that is correct as well and I wonder if that is part of the reason  Iwata is not making it to e3 and not due his Doctors advice -   The annual vote of confidence is in June 

axt113 said:
oniyide said:
axt113 said:

3DS was a bad decision by Nintendo, instead of wasting their time and effort on 3D they shoulc have focused on making a more powerful handheld and loading it up with really great games, they haven't done that, the lack of a really good 2D Mario is a clear failure by Nintendo (NSMB 2 was garbage)

Its not a lack of games, its a lack of good games that have killed the 3DS

Anyone who thinks smartphones are a danger to the 3DS just don't get it, people want good games, and Nintendo has not delivered this gen, on the 3DS and the Wii U, that is what has killed them.

this is all very subjective. Except smartphones that is having an effect, period.

Nope, just as computers and freeware games had no effect on consoles, neither do smartphones and cheap phone games have an effect on handhelds.

Lack of good games on the other hand will have an effect.  An underpowered and overpriced system with an unwanted feature such as 3D, will have an effect.

Also its far from objective, as we know a well desired game can totally ignite system sales, it was NSMB that really turned the DS into a world beater, NSMB 2 had no such effect on the 3DS.

DS had 19 games that sold 5 million or more, 3DS has 5 (in fact by this point in its life, sales wise, the DS had about 8 such games already, a few of those were over 10 million, 3DS only has 1)

I disagree with "under powered" and "over priced". Besides the lack of a second analog stick, the hardware specs are good. And there are already games that prove it. As for the proce, $250 sounds fair, and there's the cheaper option that has no 3D if one thinks the 3D isn't for him.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Around the Network

It's seem 3ds don't have many big game like before, i think youkai watch 2 will help 3ds a lot

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

oniyide said:
axt113 said:
oniyide said:
axt113 said:

3DS was a bad decision by Nintendo, instead of wasting their time and effort on 3D they shoulc have focused on making a more powerful handheld and loading it up with really great games, they haven't done that, the lack of a really good 2D Mario is a clear failure by Nintendo (NSMB 2 was garbage)

Anyone who thinks smartphones are a danger to the 3DS just don't get it, people want good games, and Nintendo has not delivered this gen, on the 3DS and the Wii U, that is what has killed them.

this is all very subjective. Except smartphones that is having an effect, period.

Nope, just as computers and freeware games had no effect on consoles, neither do smartphones and cheap phone games have an effect on handhelds.

Lack of good games on the other hand will have an effect.  An underpowered and overpriced system with an unwanted feature such as 3D, will have an effect.

Also its far from objective, as we know a well desired game can totally ignite system sales, it was NSMB that really turned the DS into a world beater, NSMB 2 had no such effect on the 3DS.

DS had 19 games that sold 5 million or more, 3DS has 5 (in fact by this point in its life, sales wise, the DS had about 8 such games already, a few of those were over 10 million, 3DS only has 1)

so where did all those DS players go? are you really telling me they are waiting for good games? Because those good games did have followups on 3ds so it has to be something. Underpowered? compared to what? How much more powerful should it have been. 3d? ill give you that, but so what? if people dont like it they dont use it, i dont. There is even a sku without it.

oh come on man. NSMB was the first 2d mario game released in more than a decade. Versus NSMB2 which is the third in the NEW series which shouldnt even be having that NEW anymore. Nothing to do with the quality, maybe people are tired of what is essentially a rehash and not gonna spend money on a new piece of tech to play a game that is just as good as one they own.

Sales are fine. Quality isnt subjective. I think 3ds has a great library

No they really didn't, NSMB 2 was not as good as NSMB DS, Mario Kart on 3DS was not as good as MK DS, and so forth

You may like those games, but they were not well recieved as their predecessors, and without those games to drive the 3DS it will not reach DS levels

axt113 said:
oniyide said:
axt113 said:
oniyide said:
axt113 said:

so where did all those DS players go? are you really telling me they are waiting for good games? Because those good games did have followups on 3ds so it has to be something. Underpowered? compared to what? How much more powerful should it have been. 3d? ill give you that, but so what? if people dont like it they dont use it, i dont. There is even a sku without it.

oh come on man. NSMB was the first 2d mario game released in more than a decade. Versus NSMB2 which is the third in the NEW series which shouldnt even be having that NEW anymore. Nothing to do with the quality, maybe people are tired of what is essentially a rehash and not gonna spend money on a new piece of tech to play a game that is just as good as one they own.

Sales are fine. Quality isnt subjective. I think 3ds has a great library

No they really didn't, NSMB 2 was not as good as NSMB DS, Mario Kart on 3DS was not as good as MK DS, and so forth

You may like those games, but they were not well recieved as their predecessors, and without those games to drive the 3DS it will not reach DS levels

how do you khow they werent well received? reviews? people? sales? sales could be explained by the natural drop in install base. See to say something is not as good as something else is very subjective. YOu cant throw that around as fact. I dont think NSMB2 was as good as the orginal, but i think MK7 is better than DS, whose to say im wrong? you? NSMB2...IMHO that whole series is done and should be put to bed. None of them are as good as 3 or world but thats just me. I think people are getting tired. So what would have drove 3ds to DS levels? im curious.

Games drive install base, not vice versa, you don't buy games to play hardware, you buy hardware to play games

If the games cannot drive the same sales and hardware as their predecessors, they aren't as well recieved.

A 2D Mario game that developed exciting new worlds to explore (this is what 3 and world did), if they devoted the same resources they used on galaxy, that would have been possible, a Mario kart that surpassed the Wii and DS versions.  Those would have driven sales.

Basically they needed to surpass what they offered on the DS, they didn't do that, in fact they fell well short of even that level

axt113 said:

Games drive install base, not vice versa, you don't buy games to play hardware, you buy hardware to play games

If the games cannot drive the same sales and hardware as their predecessors, they aren't as well recieved.

A 2D Mario game that developed exciting new worlds to explore (this is what 3 and world did), if they devoted the same resources they used on galaxy, that would have been possible, a Mario kart that surpassed the Wii and DS versions.  Those would have driven sales.

Basically they needed to surpass what they offered on the DS, they didn't do that, in fact they fell well short of even that level

how did they fall short? in what way? its still very subjective. Maybe people are just satistfied with their DS versions of those games. and did not feel the need to upgrade. You still didnt answer my question, what games would have drove 3ds to DS level of sales? Another 2d mario? a better one? better to who?