By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does Nobody Notice How Badly the 3DS Is Doing?

Tagged games:

I really enjoy threads asking if anybody else notices something that has been pointed multiple times by multiple posters in multiple threads.

But anywho, ur right 3DS weekly sales are down to pre price cut levels. It may have a pretty decent summer tho. Tomadochi Life released this week in the west, it might not be a huge system seller but it has recieved extensive advertising on childrens networks so it could provide a decent boost. Youkoi Watch 2 is going to be huge in Japan plus Smash Bros releases worldwide later this summer. The fall has Pokemon worldwide and Monster Hunter 4G in Japan plus likely a few surprises and i could see a $30-40 price drop this fall.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Hmmmm It's not a big deal in my opinion mainly because well when you look at every other console like Vita, America and Europe don't seem to like it much at all and Xbox One doesn't seem to be in Europes favour too. When you look at the 3DS, they all seem to like it near enough the same, Europe sells the most by a few thousand. Big games happen and they could all just rise up rather than one company not selling so much of them.

If I was asked why the sales is going down, I would say lack of software and quality, but as worrying as it is you can clearly see drop in sales on other consoles. I think they really do intend on bringing it back up. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is coming to Japan with Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, Smash Bros and they do look like they have something up their sleeve for this years E3. Am I worried? To be honest no because they will most likely bring it back up in my opinion.

peck said:

2004-2006 Nintendo ds 19.000.000

2006-2009 Nintendo ds lite 94.000.000

2009-2011 dsi/xl 41.000.000

2011-2014 3ds/xl 43.000.000 an probably 55.000.000 or more until the end of 14  

Actually 3ds falling short in ds lite...we have to compare 3ds with each handheld individually:P

actually did you claim the same things for dsi ,94000000 to 41000000?

2014 is the third year for the same console ,so falling is expected, but smas bros is coming and of course

ruby sapphire remakes will surge 3ds...this title is much in request and could retrieve people who stopped playing pokemon since hoen...!we have to wait seven years to compare 3ds and ds as series:P

Are you drunk or something?

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

I don't play handhelds so not watching this much, but I'm worried about 3DS seeming to run out of steam while Wii U's still not doing much to support Nintendo's bottom line. In the worst case Nintendo needs to cut $800,000,000 relative to last year's SGA budget in order to break even!

In fact, that figure is using Nintendo's 3DS forecast of selling roughly the same this as last year, but 3DS is currently down 33% YoY!

My 8th gen collection

Good thing it has SSB coming.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

Its only gonna get worse as more and more people get smarphones... 3ds can have the best content ever conceived, but the handheld market favours availability that is 1 dollar or free that can get them entertained while on the commute or for 15 mins in bed. Quality is going to be a nonimportant factor for the handheld/mobile market going forward.. The thing is that we as humans are so pathetically easy to entertain.. Just look at the whole cookie clicker thing.

dyremose said:
Its only gonna get worse as more and more people get smarphones... 3ds can have the best content ever conceived, but the handheld market favours availability that is 1 dollar or free that can get them entertained while on the commute or for 15 mins in bed. Quality is going to be a nonimportant factor for the handheld/mobile market going forward.. The thing is that we as humans are so pathetically easy to entertain.. Just look at the whole cookie clicker thing.

Smartphone ownership among children is growing so that will affect things, but I don't know how much this is about the number of smartphones anymore since smartphone ownership already eclipses 3DS by almost 40 to 1.

Rather, I think the trend is peole are getting more used to making App purchases, etc.  People used to own Android and not have a good software attach rate compared to iOS, but that is changing at exponential rates.

My 8th gen collection

tbone51 said:

Its definitely doing bad but it already is a success... It will sell over 60mil lifetime.

Besides SW sales are very good and its competition is nowhere close to it

This is not a good sign for Nintendo where their Home console is doing terrible and its not going to become successul with the competiton from PS4/Xbone and no 3rd partities. Sony already saw handheld is not going to sell anymore in the future due to Mobiles, tablets etc, which is taking over the portable gaming of most and its getting better everyday with new hardware/games. Nintendo hardware sells only when there are the games like popular IP's other than its just average sales which is not what nintendo expects and also they can't make many games in future due to next handheld going to be HD which needs  more time and resources to develop which sony is facing with AAA games development in Vita.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

It needs games coming in a faster pace than it has seen so far this year. Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will be a system seller for some nostalgic people (I know a few guys who will buy the console just for that). They need more system sellers than that though.

Yep.

Its only due to the recent lack of big releases.
When smash releases it will be doing 400k a week for a couple weeks.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)