By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 & Wii U duking it out. End of 2K14 sales prediction Thread.

CGI-Quality said:
Experimental42 said:
CGI-Quality said:

-snip

Well, if any company can make an amazing turnaround it would be Nintendo.

I don't think it will outsell the PS4, but I think at the end of this year, the doomsayers will be more focused on the Xbone. The Wii U will most likely be in a far more comfortable place, and Xbone sales will continue to drop little by little weekly, only spiking when some big titles come out, and only enough to remind people Sony is running out of clean boots to stomp on the bloody mush that was their dreams of being the console of the generation.

I'm thinking the X1 has a far better chance than you put it. As far as turnarounds, not saying that Nitnendo can't do it, they've just never done so, or ever been in such a position to do so.

Nintendo has the benefit of a global presence that could help them turn things around. On the other hand, no matter what MS does, the X1 will remain dead outside NA/UK.

Around the Network

That's true. I don't know what it will take to sell more consoles in Japan, but if anyone does, it'll be Nintendo. It may not be dead, it could just be Nintendo's slumbering giant. The Japanese prefer handhelds, so clearly powerful hardware isn't exactly a selling point for them, negating that flaw of the Wii U in their market.

Experimental42 said:

Well, if any company can make an amazing turnaround it would be Nintendo.

Not sure why you would say that. Sure, it's possible that the Wii U makes a comeback. But traditionally Nintendo's home consoles have always had relatively strong early sales and weak late sales, so I'm not sure why you're making it sound like turnarounds are Nintendo's forte.

They haven't done it for a home console yet, but they have done it for handheld hardware before. They did it with the same methods they are currently employing for the Wii U. They released a heavy hitter title, and have a solid lineup. They probably won't have another pricecut after just starting the MK bundle, but the bundle might as well be a price cut with the extras they keep adding to sweeten the deal.

Anyone who thinks Xbone has a better chance of reversing its situation when it's locked in an uphill struggle against Sony, crippling any hardware gains from their multiplats. The Japanese market may be almost dead at the moment, but the Xbone is actually dead in Japan, and while it currently only offers a meager boost to console sales, it will likely become relevant when the big JRPGs start coming out.

The Wii U has no direct competition because it has no real multiplats to speak of and focuses on an entirely different set of game genres. No one can undermine the Wii U but Nintendo, while Sony is going out of its way to hurt Xbone's sales by marketing and trying to convert traditional exclusives to multiplats.

PS4~ 16 million
Xbox One~ 9 million
Wii U~ 7 million

It will be closer in 2015

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
Experimental42 said:
Nintendo reversed its fortunes after slumps in the Game Boy,DS, and 3DS. They did so by good marketing and churning out quality games. The same things that lead to a giant boost in last week's Wii U numbers. They just need to keep it up and keep the good will coming.

Seriously, look at the existing Wii U library. It's actually pretty damn great. If I were Nintendo: More deals like the current one, keep pumping out those Mario Kart Bundles, ride the free meme exposure, steal the show at E3 with Zelda U and Metroid Prime reveals, then draw attention to the best lineup of games coming in 2014.

Also, free Zombi U.

If Nintendo can show they can sell more units, third parties will come back and put more effort into developing for them, especially if it's outselling Xbone.

Fact is its far easier to churn out ds 3ds games then wiiu games, ninty has shown struggle making hd games.  Reality is Kart is one a generation, no other game will bump U anywhere near that.  Ninty just fired its wmd and 2nd in sales for the week is all they got. 

Best line up of games, please stick to reality even if you may think so most will not.

3rd parties are never coming back, no matter what the u sales. They will never ever come no matter how badly U whoops the X1, casue the might PS4 will always be there to trump it.  And then the reality once agian kills your idea becasue its juts better business to make a PS4/X1/Pc game then a nintendo console game no matter how big its user base is (wii) cough.   

COLD_COBRA_ said:
Shortiloe said:
To behonest, there aren't much heavy hits this year for PS4, only Destiny comes in my mind right now. The Order and so on are all delayed. Only Call of Duty maybe and the new Battlefield. But titles like Smash bros, X and Co can do the thing for Wii u, so I predict that Wii U will sell more THIS year. Don# forget, mario Kart 8 is out and will be a system seiller this christmas, too ! Not Numbers from me, sorry

You really believe Wii u will sell more than ps4? Really?

Yes, THIS year, maybe you overread that. Wii U will have heavy hitters this year, PS4 hitters are coming in 2015.

What makes you thing the PS4 will sell more THIS year? Huh? A Destiny? It will boost sales, sure, but that is all. Not as much as alle the games will do that are coming for wii U THIS year.

awesomeabe1998 said:
Wow at how loyal some of these users are to their console of choice.

At the end of 2014

PS4: 15-18 million
Wii U: 12-14 million
XB1: 10-14 million

these may change after E3 ;)

Irony much?

The WiiU sold less than 1 million in 6 months combined (~150k each month). Yet you expect them to sell over a million for each of the remaining 6 months in 2014?

Shortiloe said:

Yes, THIS year, maybe you overread that. Wii U will have heavy hitters this year, PS4 hitters are coming in 2015.

What makes you thing the PS4 will sell more THIS year? Huh? A Destiny? It will boost sales, sure, but that is all. Not as much as alle the games will do that are coming for wii U THIS year.

Sale this year are
PS4 3.7m
wiiu 0.9m

Even Kart could not even bump it to #1, that is 30m + selling game its last time out in the market, unarguably a game formt he biggest franchise Ninty has under th ebelt right now.  Everyhting Ninty has after KArt pales in comparison and will fail to achive anything remotelty as big a bump.

Wanna know some bumps PS4 will get.  Every game from a moddorate sized franchise will boost PS4 sales as its THE console  to game on, see what Watch dogs just did? or the Infamous bump.

Shortiloe said:

I'll be revisiting this post in January