By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Shouldn't success be measured by the games?

Legend11 said:
Any game with millions of fans isn't overrated. You may not like the game but the fact that millions of others do is a pretty good indication that it's a quality game.

Seems like a poor argument. In fact, you've made exactly the opposite argument regarding movies and extrapolated that to gaming.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
Any game with millions of fans isn't overrated. You may not like the game but the fact that millions of others do is a pretty good indication that it's a quality game.

That reminds me, must buy Carnival Games.

Zucas said:
Legend11 said:

It's getting annoying to see consoles being bashed based on sales while the games themselves seem to be largely ignored. To me a console is a success if it has a great library of games and I really question "gamers" who appear not to think that way. The Xbox 360 has a great existing library and has more than enough great games coming in the next couple of years to be considered a success. Even the critics calling it a shooter box will find it increasingly harder to ignore all the rpgs, strategy, racing, sports, and adventure games as well as unique games such as Viva Pinata and Banjo Kazooie 3 either on or coming to the system.

As for those bashing it because they "hate" Microsoft because of their practices, have you ever known any company with a monopoly to act any different? Nintendo during the NES days locked in some developers so they couldn't make games for any other system and also did other questionable things.

Anyways it's likely that this post won't make much of a difference but even if one or a few people start making quality posts instead of bashing systems based on sales then it will have been worth it.

NO cause factually success of a product on the market is determined by how much profits it makes.

Personally games should be judged by quality, but you said success. Maybe you should rephrase.

suc�cess � (sk-ss) KEY

NOUN:
  1. The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted: attributed their success in business to hard work.
    1. The gaining of fame or prosperity: an artist spoiled by success.
    2. The extent of such gain.
  2. One that is successful: The plan was a success.
  3. Obsolete A result or an outcome
I'm talking about the first definition shown here.  That the success of a console in my opinion should be measured by it's game library rather than how many sales it had compared to it's competition.

Wait...so now you're saying that if millions of people buy a game then it's a good game....that would mean that sales are relevant to discussing quality. My head is spinning!

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

@Naz: If everything opinion related was 100% subjective, how could we differentiate between the good and bad? How could we have masterpieces like those written by Homer and Shakespeare? Bod explained it very well. The idea of complete subjectivity makes any discussion entirely worthless. It is almost impossible to know the complete truth, and until you do, something is subjective.

This means that we must draw a line in terms of subjectivity. If something is generally agreed upon by those with experience in dealing with such things that it is good, then it is good. I dislike horror games, movies, and the like. For this reason, I can't stand Resident Evil 4. However, I think Resident Evil 4 is a great game. A masterpiece, even. Why? Because it is generally agreed upon by experts in the field of video gaming as very, very good. One opinion doesn't matter.

Edit: I realize I'm late to the party, but I had to put my two cents in.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Bodhesatva said:

Why would we need to divide it into markets? Take Halo, as an example. It sells well here, and in certain European countries, but poorly everywhere else. Yes, that absolutely means that this game is less good than it would be if everyone in the world liked it. A better game would do better in Japan. Regions shouldn't matter. The better a game sells, the more that speaks to its quality.

You're saying that the picture is fuzzy, and thus we can't reach conclusions. I'm saying the picture is fuzzy, but we can reach conclusions anyway.

Make sure we note that: I'm not arguing that the picture isn't fuzzy. I'm arguing that all pictures are at least partially fuzzy, so where do you draw the line? Where does a picture become so fuzzy that "fact" becomes "opinion?" VGChartz is consistently 10-15 percent off, on average, on a monthly basis. NPD states they're 1-2 percent off. And this is just what they tell us is true: what if they're wrong? They could lie. It would require a vast conspiracy, and while I don't think a vast conspiracy is likely, it's possible. As in .00001 percent, but that's possible.

Clearly, you draw the line before I do. I think I can objectively and conclusively say that Bioshock is a better game than Motorstorm, as an example, because it excels in all the metrics we've presecibed. Bioshock against Halo, though? That is, in my opinion, too fuzzy, so that's about where I'd draw the line, personally.

Given that there is nothing absolute, everyone draws the line for "opinion" and "fact" in different places. I draw the line at a different place than you.

No, regions do matter. They absolutely matter, and you know that. The Japanese reject games of certain genres on principle. Halo sold poorly in Japan, but so do all FPS games. Is an entire genre of games now bad in Japan, just as an entire genre of games (casual games) are bad in America based on reviews?

I am not arguing that there is an absolute. What I'm saying is that there are just far too many variables in quality. You said sales, reviews, and legs all add up to equal quality, and yet those things all 3 correspond only rarely. Many games sell to different markets. Again, you yourself made an entire topic about how out of touch reviewers are. There is no general analysis of quality.

And what do we do about games that were reviewed highly, but then had those reviews retracted later? Black & White and FFVII come to mind, both of which appear on many official review site's "most overrated games" lists. We trust reviewer's opinions the first time. Do we trust them again the second? Does that not invalidate the first opinions? What about things like longevity? Is it still fun to go back and play Final Fantasy VII?

My problem with this Bod is you are trying to simplify something that has too many variables to be simplified.

I understand what you're saying. I'm saying there aren't too many variables. There are lots of variables, but not too many. We just... disagree.

Here's a reasonable and easily understandable analogy. Lots of people on NeoGAF hate VGChartz on principle, but there are a few who object to it in a reasonable fashion. Their objection: data that is off +-15 percent on a consistant basis is not worthwhile. For data to be worthwhile, to them, it needs to be NPD/Media Create quality, or within +-5 percent.

And that's a reasonable opinion, I think: they draw the line at a different place than we do. Similarly, what you think is too fluid and inconsistent is something that I think is concrete and consistent enough to be calculable.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Legend11 said:

Okay, but if a game has only thousands of fans is it overrated?  What about Zack & Wiki?  Is it a good game or a bad game?  By sales it's bad, but by reviews it's good.  Are we to consider both sales and reviews individual identifiers of quality?  If a game has one, but not the other is it good?  If a game has both, does that make it the best? 

What if a game has neither, but is still loved.  Example:  Ace Attorney games are reviewed in the high 70s and low 80s, but me and many others on the internet consider it one of the best franchises ever made. Are we all wrong?  Are we not allowed to think that?  Are hundreds, maybe thousands, of people wrong because they enjoyed something more than something else?  

Another example:  Final Fantasy has many games that have sold in the multi-millions, but it's fans are strongly divided about the quality of each individual game in the series.  All games in the franchise have high sales and reviews, and yet there isn't a single game in the franchise that doesn't have a group of people who strongly dislike it.  There are very few FF fans who don't strongly dislike at least one of the franchise.  Does that make every FF game good? All of them bad?  How do we define it?  

Again, that's not even considering games that don't sell in one part of the world but do in others.  Quality has far too many variables of meassure. 

naznatips said:
Legend11 said:

Okay, but if a game has only thousands of fans is it overrated? What about Zack & Wiki? Is it a good game or a bad game? By sales it's bad, but by reviews it's good. Are we to consider both sales and reviews individual identifiers of quality? If a game has one, but not the other is it good? If a game has both, does that make it the best?

What if a game has neither, but is still loved. Example: Ace Attorney games are reviewed in the high 70s and low 80s, but me and many others on the internet consider it one of the best franchises ever made. Are we all wrong? Are we not allowed to think that? Are hundreds, maybe thousands, of people wrong because they enjoyed something more than something else?

Another example: Final Fantasy has many games that have sold in the multi-millions, but it's fans are strongly divided about the quality of each individual game in the series. All games in the franchise have high sales and reviews, and yet there isn't a single game in the franchise that doesn't have a group of people who strongly dislike it. There are very few FF fans who don't strongly dislike at least one of the franchise. Does that make every FF game good? All of them bad? How do we define it?

Again, that's not even considering games that don't sell in one part of the world but do in others. Quality has far too many variables of meassure.

When does sales data become worthwhile, Naz? When it's +-15 percent? +-1 percent? +-.0001 percent? +-50 percent?

How do we even know for sure that VGChartz is off, ever? Theoretically, it's possible that every single figure they've ever given is 100% accurate. It's... very unlikely, but it's possible that Media Create, NPD and other sources are consistently wrong, in some cases, wrong by rather large amounts. 

Where does it end, Naz? Where do you draw the line?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

tarheel91 said:

@Naz: If everything opinion related was 100% subjective, how could we differentiate between the good and bad? How could we have masterpieces like those written by Homer and Shakespeare? Bod explained it very well. The idea of complete subjectivity makes any discussion entirely worthless. It is almost impossible to know the complete truth, and until you do, something is subjective.

This means that we must draw a line in terms of subjectivity. If something is generally agreed upon by those with experience in dealing with such things that it is good, then it is good. I dislike horror games, movies, and the like. For this reason, I can't stand Resident Evil 4. However, I think Resident Evil 4 is a great game. A masterpiece, even. Why? Because it is generally agreed upon by experts in the field of video gaming as very, very good. One opinion doesn't matter.

If we go down that route, of Homer and Shakespeare and the classics of our time, then I think Frank had the right answer: Take the long route, and let history decide.  The problem with that is a lot of amazing things are forgotten by history, and only those truly defining will stand out.  Right now, in the present, we don't have the tools to objectively analyze the quality of video games.  We can easily subjectively analyze them though.  

tarheel91 said:

Eventually, history comes into play. "Greatness" is a measure of importance, including its cultural relevance and influence among other things, not simply a general agreement on subjective quality. "Importance" does have some subjectivity in it, but less than "quality."

Whether RE4 is remembered as a "great" game remains to be seen. Though the likes of MP or RE4 may have reviewed higher and face less criticism, it is safe to say that the likes of Halo and GTAIII will be remembered as "greater" because of their importance.

LOL at Legend. Good discussion in this thread, but he's the one pulling it off path, of course. "Any game with millions of fans isn't overrated." What was your original point again?

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.