By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 sells 1.2 million over first weekend

RCTjunkie said:
swbf2lord said:
Personally, it could have sold 50 copies and I'd have been satisfied. The game completely blew me away. Mario Kart games have always been meh, for me, but this is genuinely fun.

But online wouldn't be that fun, would it? :P

I've only played about 3 games online, but already many hours of SP and split-screen play. 

Around the Network

Sweet! I wonder how many consoles were sold as well.

To say this figure was shipped MUST and can ONLY represent disc format. You can't physically ship a download.

So Nintendo shipped 1.2m discs then said they sold 1.2m copies of both downloads and discs.

I will take this as sold to consumers until the charts prove otherwise.

Justagamer said:

My question is, if Nintendo only reports sold to retailers, how does Sony know what is sold to consumers? I doubt retailers report back to Sony. That makes no sense. If Nintendo only reports sold to retailers, why would it be different with any of the others? Honest question here. If they have that information that readily available, why would they use npd numbers? Why would they wait for npd numbers? I have a fealing Sonys numbers are retail too...

They can get that information, but it's more work to gather it, I'd say. When companies say "sold" you should always expect that they mean shipped, unless they specifically say "to customers" or "sold through" or something of that sort.

And BTW. To all haters.

[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/dea1b99e9aab5720123f0854ebed7130/tumblr_mtume35hvF1qlc4ozo1_400.gif[/IMG]

Around the Network

Those are some damn impressive sales. I didn't think it would get anywhere near 1m on first week. Looks like you can't keep Mario down.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Launching close to E3 was a damn good idea - I foresee a DLC announcement during their Digital Event (besides the Mercedes - new tracks, perhaps)

Pavolink said:
tbone51 said:
Pavolink said:
Oh, and it's already double than DK!

Yeah!!!??? DK will still surpass 1.5mil lifetime

That will be a big letdown considering the port on 3DS is aorund those figures and the original Wii version sold more than 6m copies.

Uh, no, no and once again no. I dont get why peope still compare Wii to WiiU sales figures especially since we kno 99% of everything will be down.

Only let down is when people hate on a great 2D platformer cuz they didn't get Metroid :-/

Seriously the blind hate for SM3DW+DK boggles my mind

Edit: So is MK8 a dissapointment? It wont even get to a quarter of MKWii Sales? I mean you think DK 1.5mil to DK Wii 6mil are bad :0

tbone51 said:

Uh, no, no and once again no. I dont get why peope still compare Wii to WiiU sales figures especially since we kno 99% of everything will be down.

Only let down is when people hate on a great 2D platformer cuz they didn't get Metroid :-/

Seriously the blind hate for SM3DW+DK boggles my mind

MKFW sales proves those two were unwanted games.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

BHR-3 said:

guys this site was formed in 2006 and peaked during 08-10 and were still doing this shipped doesnt equal sold, sells, or sales

i would wait for famitsu and npd to really cerebrate imo i would believe total sales for may are around 700-800k

But the 1.2 million is not from VGC, the numbers  are from Nintendo

Signature goes here!