By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why didn't you buy a Gamecube for $199, $149, $99?

heruamon said:
Wii's dominance might not be as lasting as everyone wants to think. I believe competition is going to get alot harde from 360 and PS3 thi year, but we will have to wait and see.

Its true that most Nintendo fans love good news about the 360, because we don't feel its a threat to overtake the Wii in sales, ever. ...the PS3 on the otherhand.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Just like the Xbox and PS2, there were very few games that peaked my interest (I didn't own any of the three).

Even with the Wii, the games that interest me most are not Galaxy/Brawl/Zelda, but Wii Sports/Endless Ocean/Wii Fit.

I bought and enjoyed Galaxy because I already own the Wii, but it's not something I would have bought a system for.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

Just like the Xbox and PS2, there were very few games that peaked my interest (I didn't own any of the three).

Even with the Wii, the games that interest me most are not Galaxy/Brawl/Zelda, but Wii Sports/Endless Ocean/Wii Fit.

I bought and enjoyed Galaxy because I already own the Wii, but it's not something I would have bought a system for.

You're like the casual person who bought the Wii for the "non-games" and ended up buying a real game. We need to alert Phil Harrison so he can revise his percentages.

I almost bought a cube for SMS but I was put off by the less than stellar reviews. So I just continued to play Advance Wars and Super Mario Advance 1/2/3/4. 

fkusumot said:
Bodhesatva said:

You're like the casual person who bought the Wii for the "non-games" and ended up buying a real game. We need to alert Phil Harrison so he can revise his percentages.

I almost bought a cube for SMS but I was put off by the less than stellar reviews. So I just continued to play Advance Wars and Super Mario Advance 1/2/3/4.

And a PS3 and 360.

Just for the record, there is absolutely zero chance I would have ever come to this site or bought a PS3 or 360 if I had never had my interest in consoles re-peaked by the Wii.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Dallinor said:
There weren't any games on the console that interested me.

Then RE4 came along and I was almost considering making a purchase.

However one game alone didn't seem to be worth the price of the console.

I thought this was a very honest answer, and I think we'll see a lot of people finding themselves in this same situation this generation. For instance, I would probably pick up Mass Effect if I owned a 360 - but I don't want the game enough to purchase a whole console for it. Since all three consoles have lots of good games, many people inevitably find themselves sticking with their initial purchase, even if they didn't plan to do so.

I'm not answering your initial question, Rol, because I purchased a Gamecube when it first released.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

Well, the ps3 has a lot going for it that the GC did not.

First, it doesn't JUST play games. The ps3 is currently the best Blu-Ray player on the market (the only one currently upgradeable to BD-J 2.0). It's also an excellent DVD upscaler, media streamer, and more capabilities are being added with each firmware update. The GameCube, in comparison, played GameCube games. That's it. Because of this, people may be more willing to purchase a ps3 despite it's lack of games in comparison to other consoles, something that has already been shown by many people on this very site.

Second, the ps3 caters to a much different market than the Wii does. It's the old gameplay versus graphics argument, taken to a whole new level. Of course, neither is truly lacking in either area, but the differences between the two are far larger than those between the GC and ps2. The ps2 was essentially an ever-so-slightly weaker GC that played far more games. As such, the choice between the two was obvious. This gen, the choice is much more subjective. The HD consoles still offer a wide variety of games to play in comparison to the Wii, so it depends on what you prefer - graphics or the Wiimote.

I personally think that the Wii is not the definitive casual console of choice this generation, unlike the ps2 last generation. I think that the 80+ million casuals that purchased a ps2 will be split among the Wii and the HD consoles, with the majority going to the Wii, but a very large chunk still going to the ps3/360 (moreso the ps3, due to brand name, and exclusives, but I'll touch on that later), because some people prefer button mashing their way through games like God of War with flashy, and very bloody, visuals, or shooting the crap out of random people in games like GTA, rather than actually getting off of their asses and playing Wii Sports.

I do think that the Wii will continue to sell like mad, but many of these sales will be from a new demographic, the "non-gamers" like my sister. The Wii is expanding the market, and not necessarily taking over the existing market. Because of this, I believe the that the HD consoles will still sell very well, much better than the GC/Xbox of last-gen, though the Wii will still dominate them both, excelling past even the ps2's total sales.

Unlike the Gamecube, the ps3/360 have a good amount of third party support. Many of these games will not be coming to the Wii, which provides an incentive for even non-graphics whores to choose a ps3 or 360 over a Wii (or in addition to a Wii). However, which one will they choose? I believe that by the end of the generation, a large majority will have chosen the ps3. Since 90% of all 3rd party games are multiplat ps3/360, this leaves 1st and 2nd party studios to give one console an edge over the other, and that is one area in which Sony (much like Nintendo) excels. These 1st and 2nd party studios combined with the fact that, out of the two, Sony is the only one with major 3rd party exclusives left (MGS4, Tekken 6, FFXIII), will help the ps3 end up with far more exclusives than the 360 in the end. These exclusives combined with a more popular brand name (just look at Europe), and a more feature rich console will lead to the ps3 eclipsing the 360 by a large margin in the end.

Needless to say, the ps3 is by no means the "GameCube" of the seventh generation. At worst it could be considered the Xbox, except I believe that it will at least triple the Xbox's total sales in the end.

Ans yes, I know this is a joke thread, but I still felt compelled to respond. :P

NICE one. It`s NICE to see some SMART people here on forum. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

RolStoppable said:
Bodhesatva said:
fkusumot said:
Bodhesatva said:

And a PS3 and 360.

Just for the record, there is absolutely zero chance I would have ever come to this site or bought a PS3 or 360 if I had never had my interest in consoles re-peaked by the Wii.

That's one more reason to love the Wii then. I am glad that you came here.

Btw, how is it being Bodhesatva?

Welp, I'm leaving TRU in about a week, and even my trickle of information that I've given over the last couple months will cease.

I got a job making nearly 40k a year, and when I stop being a nervous nelly and finally muster the courage to go back to school in New York, they'll pay for half of it. Sooooooooo

RolStoppable said:

1) Why didn't you buy a Gamecube for $199 or $149?

2) Why didn't you buy a Gamecube even for the low cost of $99, which is equal to the price of two new games?

*EDIT: I am asking why you didn't buy a GC during the 6th gen, not why you aren't going to buy one now. So please don't answer with something about Wii backwards compatibility. Also, don't answer if you bought a GC that was on sale for an amount lower than $99, this still means that you bought a GC. Thanks.*

1) I already owned a PS2 (which i bought at launch for $499 canadian) for which i had more games than I had time. I also refused to forgive nintendo for using mini-dvd's which was one of the biggest mistakes in the GC's design. Second, I do not care for the vast majority of 1st party nintendo games. Since I already had a ps2, I saw little point in buying a gamecube for the handful of 3rd party games I had missed out on.

2) See above.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

i stick with 1 system as i cant fork out the caash to pay for multiple systems and get the best value out of em.

ive always been a sony fan, but no a fanboy.

the gamcube seemed like a piece of shit to me and the games were terrible. also, i couldnt get games burned like i idi for my ps2.

I would have liked to buy a GameCube but it was never released in South Africa. I would have even bought one for $299.