By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU to have a 10 years lifespan

Do you agree with me?

Yay! 109 19.60%

Nay! 158 28.42%

Yo crazy? 289 51.98%

Total:556

Do you really expect Nintendo to keep their lowest homeconsole seller for 10 years? Look. This one and last year are normally the higher in the Nintendo's homeconsole curve life. If the highest the console can reach is 2-4 millions, do you expect them to be happy selling 500k at a year in 4 years from now?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

10 years is a bit excessive if you ask me! Heck, a 6 years lifespan would be amazing if we take into consideration the WiiU's subpar sales!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Wii U can last until support is dropped for the ps3 and 360.

once 3rd party teams don't want to put in the effort for those low end ports, wii U will be left out as well and only have nintedo's exclusive line up.

not that 3rd party is a major thing for nintendo but it would be hell for that to be anybody's main console.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Sharu said:

Guys, your 'Nintendo consoles lifespan was short before' isn't valid, cause times changing. Think about it not from a game geek point of view, but from a business position/customers point of view. Think out of 'usual lifespan' box.

Business side of view. Next console is expensive to R/D. You will likely sell it into minus some first years. And looking on the WiiU/Wii/Gamecube situation 3rd parties will continue to shit on it even if it will be 16CPUS/32GbRAM etc, just because nobody wants to support its biggest competitor.

From customers view. I got a box which is playing Nintendo games. I love those games. I don't need 20 games to play each year, I'll better have 5-6 games a year, but those will be the games I love to play and replay. So quality Nintendo games with some 2nd/3rd party extras ar perfectly OK for me.

And in some years WiiU could be 100-150 USD in shops with a unmatched library of games you can play only on it, family friendly. That could be a second life dor this console.

Of course I must say 10 years in the title was hyperbolic, but it can easily have 7-8 years lifespan.

business point of view is that the WiiU is selling like turd and they will pump out a next gen console quicker than usual. they will also kill off the WiiU once they do. 

Yes, because we keep consoles alive when they are selling in the pitfall side of things... if the Wii that started great, were cheap and had a lot of games after 4 years got dead... imagine the WiiU, more expensive, with less games and already on the bottom side of things imagine how little it would sell in 6 years (5k a week?)... If you are happy with Nintendo going to oblivion just because for you the graphics is already "good enough" keep it to yourself but don't expect people that aren't buying the console now to buy it when PS5 and XboxTwo come out.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Why not? The ten year plan worked out for the PS3. As I remember, it was future proof. I still have no idea what that exactly means...

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Yeah not gonna happen. Best I see is 6 years, and maybe the console will still be available for 2 years after that but they'll move on sooner or later.

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

amp316 said:
Why not? The ten year plan worked out for the PS3. As I remember, it was future proof. I still have no idea what that exactly means...

Maybe because the sales were good enough and kept increasing for longer than most consoles could.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ka-pi96 said:
freebs2 said:
think-man said:
If you're loving MK8 imagine MK9 on the next gen with sexier graphics 60fps on 4 player split

In 2003 Mario Kart had 60fps split screen, Mario Kart 8 has only 30fps because Nintendo didn't care, not because WiiU isn't powerfull enough to do it.

Nintendo aren't the only ones that don't care. People really need to realise more fps does not mean a better game.

Oh yeah, sure.... I guess you've played a lot of competitive arena first person shooters and fighiting games to say that.

Also, since you're quoting me, please lecture me, leave people alone :)

freebs2 said:
think-man said:
If you're loving MK8 imagine MK9 on the next gen with sexier graphics 60fps on 4 player split

In 2003 Mario Kart had 60fps split screen, Mario Kart 8 has only 30fps because Nintendo didn't care, not because WiiU isn't powerfull enough to do it.

Its sixty FPS for up to two players and mostly only switches to a lock of thirty FPS for three/four because Mario-Kart is too choatic to risk dips.